Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Hmm. Many on here slating Lennon for when he signed Amos on high wages after his excellent loan period. It looked at the time we were sure to return a very decent return on investment at the very least. Come on, let's have a show of hands. I was no fan of Lennon. but there are so many wise-after-the-event types on here that it's possibly why the place is dying by the day.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Hmm. Many on here slating Lennon for when he signed Amos on high wages after his excellent loan period. It looked at the time we were sure to return a very decent return on investment at the very least. Come on, let's have a show of hands. I was no fan of Lennon. but there are so many wise-after-the-event types on here that it's possibly why the place is dying by the day.
I was happy when he signed after a good loan spell. I didn't realise he was on such a whack, and given how soon subsequently we almost went bust, I can't help but think that Eddie, Gartside or both were either asleep at the wheel or almost negligent.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Hmm. Many on here slating Lennon for when he signed Amos on high wages after his excellent loan period. It looked at the time we were sure to return a very decent return on investment at the very least. Come on, let's have a show of hands. I was no fan of Lennon. but there are so many wise-after-the-event types on here that it's possibly why the place is dying by the day.
True. My criticism is of the feck* who sanctioned a contract like that, not a manager who signed a youth international who was playing well on loan. I was happy with it at the time, albeit surprised by the wages. He's only one player but it's a decision that could haunt us for several years. There are enough sticks to beat Lennon with, this lies squarely at the feet ofthe last board. Wankers.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:26 pm

Seems like we went to the edge of our budget to try to keep Boggers, who said no, and then Amos was next choice and we forgot to change our BATNA.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:15 am

was about to say the same! BWFCI, if parky has a run of bad results you'll be the first one to slate his decisions!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:23 am

I, like most were happy we signed Amos. He'd had a very good loan spell, was a good age and lots of potential. Maybe a goal keeping Cahill if you like. Had I known the salary and just how dire the situation was at the time I'd have been somewhat less positive.

The lad has some talent, but has some major problems with his game too. I hope he can find his Fred Barber and fulfil his potential, just somewhere else with someone else paying his wages.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Amos's main problem, is that he seems to have no hands.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:Amos's main problem, is that he seems to have no hands.
Ok with that, but I've never seen him put a decent header in either...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:07 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:It's not really a contract expiry but in the absence of a transfer thread I'm guessing this is where we're going to chat?

Anyway, just seen Charlton's Ademola Lookman linked with an eyewatering £11m move to Everton. Eh? Similar record to clough, only with a few yoof caps, and in a worse (team) position and that's his valuation? Admittedly two years younger but I'm struggling to make it all add up. If we do get a bid for Clough, I hope we play hardball :shock:
It is the going rate these days for the Premiership clubs. A number of Prem managers were exasperated in the summer at the prices being demanded. Burnley didn't want to pay £10m for Hendrick from Derby but they had to. Hull paid £13m for Spurs reserve Ryan Mason, who by 25 had never established himself in their team. Leicester right now are being linked with a 20 year old Nigerian defensive midfielder from Genk for £15m. When KA mentioned he would only consider selling Clough for £10m I hope he wasn't using that figure as an outlandish bid we would never get offered. If he is to go a Premierhsip club that is what we should be aiming for. Personally I think he has a lot work to do on the physical side before he is ready for that level, but you never know what desperate Prem clubs will do in terms of panic buys...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Or what desperate league 1 clubs will accept.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:42 pm

Amos was never ready for a full season of two-games a week in the Championship as the No.1 with no real competition for the spot. Still isn't.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 am

Spearing, BN:
I can only work hard. Every game is a trial now to show how good I am. I have to prove not only to the gaffer but also to everyone else that I’m a good player. I am enjoying playing for Bolton at the moment and that’s not just down to me, the lads are helping me out. I am not going to stop now until we sort something (a contract).

Last year was extremely difficult with everything that happened behind closed doors, things not working out. I had to go away in the summer and think ‘I’m better than that.’ Not all of it was my fault but I have to adapt. I have got two girls back at home and they are my main criteria now. They are why I’ll work myself into the ground for this club every single week, I have to look after them and the missus.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:51 pm

As is at moment. Contracts until June unless otherwise stated. Corrections and clarifications (with citations) always welcome.

Lawrie Wilson
Lewis Buxton
David Wheater
Dorian Dervite
Tom Thorpe (loaned from Rotherham until June, when his Rotherham contract elapses)
Dean Moxey
Andrew Taylor (loaned from Wigan until June, when his Wigan contract elapses)
Alex Honeyball
Callum Spooner
Alex Perry
Jay Spearing
Liam Trotter
Mark Davies
Tom Walker (loaned to Bury until June)
James Henry (loaned from Wolves until June, when his Wolves contract elapses)
Keshi Anderson (loaned from Crystal Palace until June*)
Max Clayton
Gary Madine
George Newell (loaned to AFC Fylde until June)

Mark Howard
Ben Alnwick
Mark Beevers
Derik Osede
Darren Pratley
Chris Taylor
Jamie Proctor
Conor Wilkinson (loaned to Chesterfield until January)

Ben Amos (loaned to Cardiff until June)
Josh Vela
Zach Clough

Unknown but under contract
Jack Earing, Will Jaaskelainen, Alex Samizadeh, Jake Turner (among others)

* There's a lack of clarity on Keshi's Palace contract. He signed an extension last summer, when the previous deal elapsed. That was said to only be a year's extension, but then according to some reports (from sources which would usually require a secondary citation) he signed a two-year extension shortly before coming on loan. If this is true, it has not been confirmed by CPFC; although Keshi's 1 Sep tweet (and his agent's the day before) imply an extension, it's not clear how long.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Of the first-teamers out of contract this summer, assuming we can agree appropriate wages to the league we end up in,

Keep: Wheater, Thorpe, Taylor, Spearing

Would keep if their contracts were (almost) entirely appearance based: Davies and Clayton

Wouldn't be upset if we kept: Wilson, Buxton, Henry,

Bin off the rest.

Job #1 yet again is find a taker for that useless pillock. And if we can find someone thick enough to do that we've a keeper we can throw in for free too.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Which useless pillock would that be, Your Honour?
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:Of the first-teamers out of contract this summer, assuming we can agree appropriate wages to the league we end up in,

Would keep if their contracts were (almost) entirely appearance based: Davies and Clayton

Bin off the rest.

Job #1 yet again is find a taker for that useless pillock. And if we can find someone thick enough to do that we've a keeper we can throw in for free too.
I am personally not sure on offering Madine a new contract. He has major limitations, indeed so many that it should go without saying that we don't offer him a new deal. But we are unlikely to be able to find much better if still in L1, and even if we go up, we aren't going to be spending much on fees (personally I would be relieved not to be still under the embargo). There might not be enough decent Championship level strikers we can get to justify not offering him a new deal.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:42 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Which useless pillock would that be, Your Honour?
In case you genuinely don't know who I mean, our esteemed club captain. "The white Yaya Toure".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:44 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Of the first-teamers out of contract this summer, assuming we can agree appropriate wages to the league we end up in,

Bin off the rest.

I am personally not sure on offering Madine a new contract. He has major limitations, indeed so many that it should go without saying that we don't offer him a new deal. But we are unlikely to be able to find much better if still in L1, and even if we go up, we aren't going to be spending much on fees (personally I would be relieved not to be still under the embargo). There might not be enough decent Championship level strikers we can get to justify not offering him a new deal.
He's fecking shite. He's playing in at least the third best team in the league and still can't get anywhere near scoring. Yes, he's quite tall but I reckon we're ok risking it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Bin off the rest.

He's fecking shite. He's playing in at least the third best team in the league and still can't get anywhere near scoring. Yes, he's quite tall but I reckon we're ok risking it.
He's got 6 in 26. Clough has 8 in 26.

3rd highest scorer. And doing a job up front that nobody else in our squad can do.

Whether he is championship level is a different question. In this league Madine is very decent. And certainly better than Proctor, who was playing for Bradford before us.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:56 pm

His finishing is terrible. But we need 3 better strikers at whatever level we are at to justify not at least offering a new deal. Strikers are expensive. Will we have the finances to get them??