Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:56 am
Was actually quite impressed with Bödvarsson in the 20 minutes or so he played last night. Showed some really nice touches and put himself around well. It's only the second time I've seen him play. When he came on against Cambridge I thought it was the second coming of Tom Eaves, so last night I was very pleasantly surprised. BOOM indeed :)
It's noted to be harder as a sub coming on, and I don't think Bod/Sadlier/Dempsey have yet done enough in their minutes to merit displacing a starter. However, Dempsey started last night and I think we'll begin to see a bit more variation in the XIs, pending fitness, form and opposition.

Like you, last night I also thought we could have made changes sooner than we did, as control of the game was notably slipping. We had, IMO, four potential gamechangers on the bench (Bod, Baka, Sadlier, Lee). In a tough run of fixtures, and playing the high-tempo way we do, I would see no shame in starting to make changes after an hour. It would add fresh legs, ask different questions - and encourage the remaining starters to justify their position.

As Pru noted, we're no longer in a place where Evatt turns to his bench and sees Delf and a teenager.
Need to give some consideration to resting Dapo Saturday as lad looked exhausted last night.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:15 pm

Need to give some consideration to resting Dapo Saturday as lad looked exhausted last night.
I was struggling to work out whether it was Charlton who did a very good job of containing Afolayan (as I thought they did with Fossey), whether he's just shot-at, or a combination of the two.

Either way I agree though; with the strength in numbers we now have it'd be ridiculous to start running players into the ground.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:20 pm

I’d like to see Bod and Sadlier start pretty soon. Bod away from home with Dapo on the bench to come on against tired legs…

Somewhat bemused Sadlier wasn’t given a go before Dempsey on the basis of his Championship pedigree…but I’ll confess to not knowing if he is a presser. Dempseys best moments came when he was part of the attack harrying their back line and it’s certainly key for how we set out to play.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:58 pm

Yeah, you could see Dempsey trying to do the "Sexy Kieran" job of being a midfielder while still pressing their backline. Difficult balance. Early days for him yet.

Sadlier seems keen but perhaps a bit more of a creative. Also a crosser so there's an argument that he'd be better served having a Bod/Baka to hit, but then again there's more than one kind of cross. I bet he could whip a good ball in behind for Dapo/Dion to get on to.

All good options to have.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:35 pm

I’d say this. It’s obvious Bod has quality. But isn’t match sharp. He won’t get match sharp without playing. We have four strikers of whom I’d say only Charles right now is a must start. So rotating who he plays with is sensible. And gives the others chance to get sharper. Sadlier looks a very good player but as noted the press is important and doesn’t look like it’s natural to him. But then again Dempsey didn’t look comfortable either and it’s early days.

I’m quite drawn to going 343 away from home and leaving three up for the counter. Bod, Sadlier and Charles. Dapo to come on as legs tire maybe. And Bakayoko. But it does put huge pressure on midfield.

Worth a risk?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:05 pm

I think for a midfield 4 to work they all have to work very very hard, and work well together.

Dempsey seems to have energy, so maybe he could do it. Williams has the nous but not necessarily the speed. Morley may have the speed but does he have the match-reading nous? What about Lee?

IDK. I know some people like the idea of a front three. It's what lies behind that worries me. I fear it could leave us very open to the counter. After four consecutive bagels we've started to concede avoidable goals again; I don't think that's something we want to exacerbate. Certainly not away at a play-off team. But maybe, perhaps, at some point. We've got the bottom three to visit yet...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:15 pm

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:05 pm
I think for a midfield 4 to work they all have to work very very hard, and work well together.

Morley may have the speed but does he have the match-reading nous?
Well, I'm yet to see much to suggest he doesn't. BWFC-I's unsure about this lad but I think he's a tremendous addition.

Also, as he proved last night on the second goal, he can put a superb free-kick into the mixer. Hopefully we might start to learn the value of the well executed set-piece now. Stranger things have happened.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:17 pm

Dempsey seems to have energy, so maybe he could do it. Williams has the nous but not necessarily the speed. Morley may have the speed but does he have the match-reading nous? What about Lee?

IDK. I know some people like the idea of a front three. It's what lies behind that worries me. I fear it could leave us very open to the counter. After four consecutive bagels we've started to concede avoidable goals again; I don't think that's something we want to exacerbate. Certainly not away at a play-off team. But maybe, perhaps, at some point. We've got the bottom three to visit yet...
Yep I agree. I like our system we are playing now. It’s clearly working. Last night we weren’t at our best but we also have to acknowledge that Charlton bottled us up well as Bruce and others note they completely shut down Fossey and Jones and it left us with notably few outlets. Declan John offers something on the left but because he is less direct than Fossey it meant we struggled to get up the pitch consistently. And as a result we played a lot of long balls, one of which we scored from, but rarely looked too threatening otherwise.

I do think we need a variation that changes the shape sometimes. And 343 seems the most obvious. Gets Sadlier perhaps in a more natural position, and maybe Dapo too. Gets a big lad up the middle. Charles would drift in from one side or the other. It has its pitfalls. As you’ve said. Midfield. Can we cope. But it also offers us the chance to go more direct and work a target man into the game more, and could see us breaking well in that system perhaps.

The 352 or hybrid system we have now does need an alternative I think as if you bottle up the wing backs we definitely lack a midfield able to play through teams. That was very evident last night. Williams and Morley had good games but neither are going to help us play through a team. And Dempsey it’s very early days but don’t think he will do that either. So our options are out wide or go direct.

I think in that instance using a front three better able to find the pockets of space inside wing backs and down the channels would be worth a look. I still think it would be the exception not the rule.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:15 pm

Morley may have the speed but does he have the match-reading nous?
Well, I'm yet to see much to suggest he doesn't. BWFC-I's unsure about this lad but I think he's a tremendous addition.

Also, as he proved last night on the second goal, he can put a superb free-kick into the mixer. Hopefully we might start to learn the value of the well executed set-piece now. Stranger things have happened.
I like him on the ball a lot. He’s very classy. I just think at times we get overrun in there as I’m not sure Morley is quite there with that side of the game. And to be fair that’s what Rochdale fans said. MJ is doing a heck of a lot of that dirty side of the game and I wonder if at times it’s a bit much.

Morley is not a shirker or whatever, he just doesn’t seem as switched on to off the ball requirements.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:27 pm

Matches this month will be about fitness as much as trying to design the perfect team to beat the opponent. Likewise, there will be minimum time to do tactical work tailored to the other side.

Small tweaks, yes, nothing profound. In the end it'll come down to what it came down to against Charlton. We still believe we can get into the play-offs and they looked like they had nothing to play for. Tactically I though Jackson did really well and his subs were good, but we wanted it more. Charles bossed them until he tired and then our subs also just ran more than the Charlton lads did.

Oxford are well up for every game right now. It's a very different challenge, but they're beatable.

Agree with everyone (and Evatt) saying some players looked tired. Keeping Lee rested was, I think, a tough but good call and he can hopefully go full tilt on Saturday.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:30 pm

The other thing to consider is we might be in a position where we need to turn games that could be draws into wins, if we are serious about having a go. Might have to gamble away from home.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:40 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:30 pm
The other thing to consider is we might be in a position where we need to turn games that could be draws into wins, if we are serious about having a go. Might have to gamble away from home.
Could be, but I don't think Oxford is that game. We need to be hard to beat and work them to death. If we can beat them it's a 6 pointer, but at the very least it's a must not lose if we intend to catch them.

8 points is so very different from 14, but even at 11 they can just about be pulled in with stellar home form.

Big game, this.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:45 am

Seems like this probably belongs here at the moment.

Some speculation on Fossey's future.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... on-fossey/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:30 am

MEN is reporting that we've been talking to Santos about a new deal.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:11 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:30 am
MEN is reporting that we've been talking to Santos about a new deal.
Just read that. Is now a good time to be carrying out these negotiations? Might it not be better to hang fire as to when we've a clearer idea as to where we'll be?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:22 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:11 am
Just read that. Is now a good time to be carrying out these negotiations? Might it not be better to hang fire as to when we've a clearer idea as to where we'll be?
Were it my job I'd want to get it done now. If we get promoted he'd likely ask for better terms and if we leave it until summer it increases the chances he will have his head turned by an offer from another club.

His attributes are almost impossible to replace at this level, he's the club captain and his wage demands are likely to be reasonable. Seems a no-brainer to get it done as soon as we possibly can. That would allow Evatt to ensure continuity into next season and keep building rather than having to reorganise.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:05 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:22 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:11 am
Were it my job I'd want to get it done now. If we get promoted he'd likely ask for better terms and if we leave it until summer it increases the chances he will have his head turned by an offer from another club.

His attributes are almost impossible to replace at this level, he's the club captain and his wage demands are likely to be reasonable. Seems a no-brainer to get it done as soon as we possibly can. That would allow Evatt to ensure continuity into next season and keep building rather than having to reorganise.
Key there is "at this level", which goes back to my original point. Surely he / his agent will have a clause in any new contract we offer which gears his wages to whichever division we're in anyway.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:05 am
Key there is "at this level", which goes back to my original point. Surely he / his agent will have a clause in any new contract we offer which gears his wages to whichever division we're in anyway.
Contract increases rarely get you to the level you would have been at if you'd been offered a contract at that level. Plus signing/loyalty bonuses usually relate to the initial wage offer, so we'd save there too.

It would definitely be a cheaper package.

As to "at this level", Santos' attributes are rare in any division in any country. He's a fast, powerful, 6'5" centre back who can play with the ball at feet and has passing vision. People can also run off his weaknesses, but players like that usually cost big money.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:25 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:57 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:05 am
As to "at this level", Santos' attributes are rare in any division in any country. He's a fast, powerful, 6'5" centre back who can play with the ball at feet and has passing vision. People can also run off his weaknesses, but players like that usually cost big money.
He was also our worst signing since Cid for half a season at a division lower last season, and being 6'5" is neither here nor there when you can't head for shit. He has of course shown admirable qualities during both the second half of last season and this one to date, however, I'm just a little more wary of his shortcomings than you.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:25 pm
I'm just a little more wary of his shortcomings than you.
Ultimately, Evatt has made him captain and clearly loves him as a player. That's all that currently matters.

Regardless of whether we go up or not, Evatt will want him signed on. So we might as well get it done.