Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:16 am

Dapo had his best game in ages last night. There is a lot of potential there and I'd like them both to be here next year but if I could only choose one, then I'd go for Kioso.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:28 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:16 am
Dapo had his best game in ages last night. There is a lot of potential there and I'd like them both to be here next year but if I could only choose one, then I'd go for Kioso.
Yeah - Dapo has ability - that much is obvious. But he has a journey to convert that ability into performances that matter. Last night he did better but still to me looks good going past the first man but then most of the time makes the wrong choice.

Kioso is 2 years younger yet far further along in his development - a far stronger, more mature player.

I doubt that Dapo will ever attract a bigger fee than Kioso but of course there are many variables - injury, off field issues etc...

But right now I still don't think Dapo is convincing as a league 2 player. He has more development to hit the level required for this league.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am

Have you forgotten that he can't kick?! He's a really good player, quick, strong, good in the air, but he's technically very very limited. I can see an argument that he could be more effective in a league two, up and down side, on the wing, but no champ or prem team is buying him as a winger and that's where the money is.

Dapo has a lot to learn, but he's technically very good, quick, can go both ways. He needs some "content" in him to make sure he applies it right, and as I've said I think he's less likely to make it in the top leagues than Kioso, there's more to do, but if he does he'll be with far more.

And "six times more goals" :lol: . Away with you, man. That'll be "6" and "1" then :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:50 pm

Kioso is good and effective. Don't think Dapo qualifies in either category at the moment for L2. Hopefully with more game he will get there. I see Kioso at the moment as a Championship level player. Dapo is an exciting ball player who loses it most of the time. Isgrove isn't exciting, but to me is a better and more effective player than Dapo at the moment, and he is not a Championship player. So where does that put Dapo?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am
Have you forgotten that he can't kick?! He's a really good player, quick, strong, good in the air, but he's technically very very limited. I can see an argument that he could be more effective in a league two, up and down side, on the wing, but no champ or prem team is buying him as a winger and that's where the money is.

Dapo has a lot to learn, but he's technically very good, quick, can go both ways. He needs some "content" in him to make sure he applies it right, and as I've said I think he's less likely to make it in the top leagues than Kioso, there's more to do, but if he does he'll be with far more.

And "six times more goals" :lol: . Away with you, man. That'll be "6" and "1" then :lol:
Ok well, where this started is would we have Kioso and the answer for me is absolutely yes and I'd pick him where Dapo is playing every day of every week because whilst a different sort of player, he's a better one, proving it by playing at a higher level and all that whilst 2 years younger. He's not turning inside and doing what Dapo did last night. But he'd get down the outside 300% more times and put balls into the box. And he's scored goals for us and Northampton and thats from right back. You can argue about well its 6 vs 1 but what you're saying is at 23 years old an attacker has started over 30 league games and scored 1 goal. There is something wrong there. Will Dapo make a league 2 attacker? Maybe but he's a long way from that level right now.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:54 pm

Is he balls, he's starting pretty much every week in the best team in the league. He's comfortably a league two attacker.

He's a long way from proving he can do it at a higher level, but there's obviously a player there. He's nearly but not quite there at the moment.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:54 pm
Is he balls, he's starting pretty much every week in the best team in the league. He's comfortably a league two attacker.

He's a long way from proving he can do it at a higher level, but there's obviously a player there. He's nearly but not quite there at the moment.
I just don't agree that an attacking player who has 34 games in league 2 scoring once and assisting 3 times can be considered proven or even comfortably anything.

When his output equals that of the better players or even the middling players in this league then sure. But he needs to prove that over 2 or 3 seasons and right now he's absolutely not doing it.

The ability to cut inside and go past a man is there, allied to some good upper body strength. But for me that's all he's shown thus far. And I'd like to see more from him and really as a team in our situation we need to see a LOT more from him. Our wide players/attacking forwards behind Doyle have not done nearly enough since Delfouneso had a baby (think it was around then).

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:20 pm

When I was stuck on the Carlisle commentary last night they couldn't get over how good Dapo was. One of them literally said 'It's like when you're playing 5-a-side and a kid turns up who's just too good and no one can get near them'.

Not saying that the opinion's of Carlisle's commentators should be the basis for much, but suggesting Dapo is not an effective League 2 player is quite the stretch.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:33 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:20 pm
When I was stuck on the Carlisle commentary last night they couldn't get over how good Dapo was. One of them literally said 'It's like when you're playing 5-a-side and a kid turns up who's just too good and no one can get near them'.

Not saying that the opinion's of Carlisle's commentators should be the basis for much, but suggesting Dapo is not an effective League 2 player is quite the stretch.
Yeah, but did you hear what they said about Kioso, who scored against them away from home? Eh? Eh?

(I have no idea what they said, but it feels like that sort of debate)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:48 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:20 pm

How is it a stretch when you look at his output as an attacking player and it’s non existent? It’s the very opposite of a stretch. It’s pointing out the bleeding obvious.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:05 pm

I like Dapo he gives us something different as he runs at defenders with the ball, his output certainly isn't non existent - yes he's not scored but he's had 2 shots now from outside the box that have hit the post & come back for Doyle to score so that will do for me.

For what its worth I'm quite confident for Saturday, but we will have to put in a 90min performance with intensity and Dapo needs to start & run at them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:18 pm

I'm not sure it's not all a bit moot. There was just something about the way Kioso left due to injury crisis (including the fastest recovery ever from Long Covid by one of the injured players), then rocked up at Northampton about a week later. So not sure it'd be on the cards in any event.

Not convinced we'd get Dapo nor John in closed season either...

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:18 pm
I'm not sure it's not all a bit moot. There was just something about the way Kioso left due to injury crisis (including the fastest recovery ever from Long Covid by one of the injured players), then rocked up at Northampton about a week later. So not sure it'd be on the cards in any event.

If we go up I think we have a decent chance of them signing, however if we are still in League two then I very much doubt it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:31 pm

John’s not looked as good recently. Wonder if he was the defender carrying the injury.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

I think he wasn’t enjoying living in the hotel and going to Northampton meant he could stay at home. Also they’re the division above.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:39 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I think he wasn’t enjoying living in the hotel and going to Northampton meant he could stay at home. Also they’re the division above.
Yes, to all of that, but I'm not sure how much was "stuck in hotel undrr COVID" v "away from home", if it was more of the latter, then might not want to move this far North.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:02 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

If we go up I think we have a decent chance of them signing, however if we are still in League two then I very much doubt it.
Agree would likely be easier one League up, Bertie. But there's also whether we'd be first in the queue, should they be made available for transfer/not recontracted...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:04 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:31 pm
John’s not looked as good recently. Wonder if he was the defender carrying the injury.
Yup (not looked as good). He also looks better going forward than defensively to me...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:04 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:31 pm
Thought he had a great game against Carlisle personally till he went off. Put some magical crosses in and was our best outlet as ever. He’s definitely better going forwards than defensively but that’s modern full back. To me he’s easily our ‘best’ player as in I think he’s way way above league two level. His delivery into the box is far ahead of anyone else we’ve got.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 pm

I'd be confident on Dapo if we went up. Don't think he's done enough for any championship team to be in for him, and why not go where you're settled and valued.

John could still be tricky. Agree he's the one (closely followed by Lee and Santos) who looks far too good for this division. Similar to the reasoning on Dapo, but think he's much more likely to get a Champo offer.