Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:35 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 pm
I’m going to see what league we are in first. Can’t see Arthur making the grade. Unsure on Baptiste - He’s played week in, week out with plenty of midweek so I’m not going to write him off yet. Brockbank looked capable of Championship football when he first started out, he might be well priced and happy to be part of the squad.

I sort of agree on Dapo and his lack of end product but he’s learning at an older age, deffo worth preserving with a few late developers - just not at 28 like Arthur.

Need a new keeper whatever league we are in. Even if Gills starts as number 1.
Perhaps Jensen is our new goalkeeper? Not worth the risk starting him now given Gilks' form but definitely going forward would seem the more suited choice. Would seem a reasonable idea at least.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:26 pm

Have you seen Jensen play Mar? I have no clue if he is another Crelin or potential Jussi.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:57 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:26 pm
Have you seen Jensen play Mar? I have no clue if he is another Crelin or potential Jussi.
No, i've never seen him play. I suspect that either we're doing a favour to Burnley, wanted a new goalkeeper or we were expecting Crellin to leave and we needed backup. Given we have four on the books at the minute, Crellin, Gilks, Alexander and Jensen, i'd like to think it is a pretty safe assumption to think that we're aiming longer term than just plugging the gap. There are emergency signings available should we be a goalkeeper short.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:12 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:37 am
We also have a few players contracted until 2022 that we will presumably be looking to shift on. Is it likely we will see a Taft situation with Crawford, Greenidge, Gordon and Comley? I certainly can't see anyone paying a fee for them.
Evatt on Crawford:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... rm-future/
Ali’s still got a future at this club. He’s contracted for next season and when he comes back in the summer, hopefully we will be a League One club and it’s down to Ali to get his head down and make sure he’s back in our plans and in the team. Everyone will be given that fair opportunity and a clean slate. It doesn’t matter really what’s happened this season. This season in the summer will be forgotten and it’s time to move on. You can’t stand still in football and you can’t dwell on the past too much, it’s about the future. Ali will have an opportunity to come back and impress.
Also Evatt on Delaney, who is out of contract but has impressed the boss enough to be elevated to the bench in midweek, with the implication that either Santos or Baps was carrying a niggle:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ch-action/
I can’t speak highly enough of Ryan. I think his attitude and application as a football player is first class. He’s a wonderful person as well and he understands the situation, he understands predominantly, as you can see with people moaning with me about goalkeepers and defenders, I like to have attacking options on the bench and not defenders.

Ryan is pretty much fixated into one position, he’s a centre-back and that’s it. Harry Brockbank can play right back, left back, centre back if called upon and it gives me more options. Obviously you don’t really know what goes on in terms of how people are feeling, who has slight niggles, injuries, kicks etc and that sometimes will alter whether I need to put certain people on the bench just in case. That was the case on Tuesday but thankfully everyone came through in one piece and 100 per cent.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:29 pm

Out of interest would people rather have Kioso or Dapo signed up for next season?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:35 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:29 pm
Out of interest would people rather have Kioso or Dapo signed up for next season?
There's a curve-ball if ever there was one! :-) not sure I'd go for either at the minute. I'd have been happy to get rid of Jones in January, but he's played pretty well since then, so I think at the moment, I wouldn't necessarily take either (Kioso or Dapo). I don't think this squad is League 1 fit in plenty of areas. So depends on what Division we find ourselves in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:56 pm

Yeah, it's a fascinating question I can't contemplate comprehensively answering right now.

Obvz different players in different positions but also different situations - Kioso may still think he can be a Champo player for Luton, and even if we went up he might prefer the more local Northampton, I dunno.

Also Peter K excelled as a wingback - I/we dunno whether he'd be as good as an overlapping fullback, requiring much more positional readiness/awareness to track back. I know wingbacks have to too, but if your fullback's out of position you're much more exposed.

I know people are starting to wonder about Dapo and I can't say I haven't slapped hands to forehead on occasion, but there's definitely a player there, especially as he seems to do the necessary dirty work. I suspect his headroom for improvement is higher than, say, Elbo and Arthur.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:56 pm
Yeah, it's a fascinating question I can't contemplate comprehensively answering right now.

Obvz different players in different positions but also different situations - Kioso may still think he can be a Champo player for Luton, and even if we went up he might prefer the more local Northampton, I dunno.

Also Peter K excelled as a wingback - I/we dunno whether he'd be as good as an overlapping fullback, requiring much more positional readiness/awareness to track back. I know wingbacks have to too, but if your fullback's out of position you're much more exposed.

I know people are starting to wonder about Dapo and I can't say I haven't slapped hands to forehead on occasion, but there's definitely a player there, especially as he seems to do the necessary dirty work. I suspect his headroom for improvement is higher than, say, Elbo and Arthur.
Kioso is a better forward option than Dapo is. I'd have him right wing now in this team - he'd walk in easily for me. Pace, strength, good in the air, can beat a man. He's a class player for league 2. Dapo for me isn't really up to it - yet.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:15 pm

I meant Kioso as a wide forward actually. He may well be in Lutons plans of course.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm

Interesting. Less keen. We haven't seen him in that position. But I suppose we can always make wildly extrapolated and curiously confident guesses...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm
Interesting. Less keen. We haven't seen him in that position. But I suppose we can always make wildly extrapolated and curiously confident guesses...
I know its a limited sample and probably doesn't mean much but in 13 starts at wing back Kioso netted 3 times.

In 15 starts as an attacking forward player Dapo has yet to find the net for us.

I don't think its controversial to say Kioso is clearly, far and away the better player between the two and could probably hold his own a league or two higher even as things stand. Now your question is whether as a winger he'd be better - I'm completely certain he would be but obviously we haven't tested it. He'd be a very different sort of option but I think we'd be a better side with him in personally if for nothing else beyond his physical presence and strength as an outlet.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:50 pm

I’m sure towards the end we played 4231 with him and Jones/Brockbank playing? He adds a threat at set pieces that Dapo doesn’t have. But I agree Dapo might be the rough diamond that we can polish. Has the physical attributes. I just find it a bit odd that it’s a given we are trying to sign him...he’s far from the finished article.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:08 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:50 pm
I’m sure towards the end we played 4231 with him and Jones/Brockbank playing?
Nope. Peter K's last game was the 3-3 at Carlisle; his second yellow meant he was suspended for the next game, v Crawley, in which we played the last half-hour with a back four. That was enough to persuade Evatt to switch full-time but by the next game, Exeter away, Kioso had been recalled.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm
I know its a limited sample and probably doesn't mean much but in 13 starts at wing back Kioso netted 3 times.

In 15 starts as an attacking forward player Dapo has yet to find the net for us.

I don't think its controversial to say Kioso is clearly, far and away the better player between the two and could probably hold his own a league or two higher even as things stand. Now your question is whether as a winger he'd be better - I'm completely certain he would be but obviously we haven't tested it. He'd be a very different sort of option but I think we'd be a better side with him in personally if for nothing else beyond his physical presence and strength as an outlet.
Stats would suggest Kioso is the better player but I think there are other factors that aren't being taken into consideration here as the retention of possession and how much we get up the field isn't easy to track. Kioso attacking meant that we were exposed towards the back (probably due to 3-3). Kioso was my favourite player during his stint here but he must've had some desire to be loaned elsewhere so i'm not sure i'd like to sign him instead of Dapo for that reason.

I suspect there is more to come from Dapo. It'd be nice to see that come to fruition.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:43 am

Kioso probably the better player but you're off your head of you'd rather have him in the front three. And Dapo more likely to sell for big money. I'd gladly, gladly take both for next year though, whatever league.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:43 am

Kioso scored twice against Ipswich this evening. A wonderful player indeed and a big threat on set plays.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:36 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:43 am
Kioso probably the better player but you're off your head of you'd rather have him in the front three. And Dapo more likely to sell for big money. I'd gladly, gladly take both for next year though, whatever league.
That’s wild. Sorry, just is.

Dapo is 23. He’s played 34 league games across 3 seasons all in league two. He’s scored 1 goal in that time.

Kioso is 21. He’s played 33 league games. 19 in league 1 and 1 in the championship. He’s scored 6 goals in that time.

It’s not even close.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:03 am

Ha! And I’m the one off my head 🙄😃

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am

Goals cost money. Kioso is a right back, I reckon he'll end up a very good one. But you're not getting much for him. Dapo less likely to name it at the top, but *if* he comes good you could get big wedge.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:58 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am
Goals cost money. Kioso is a right back, I reckon he'll end up a very good one. But you're not getting much for him. Dapo less likely to name it at the top, but *if* he comes good you could get big wedge.
Kioso is a better winger than Dapo is. You're literally going to argue that a younger player, with 6 times more goals (from right back as opposed to up front or as a forward) playing at a higher level is not going to be worth as much because Dapo is a striker?

If Dapo suddenly starts banging in 30 goals a season on a regular basis he'd be worth some money. So would any player.

But its very clear that he's got a long way to go to be as good as Kioso who is playing a league higher.