Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 12, 2022 12:13 am

Where else is Sadlier getting in? That hybrid Rwb/RW v Fossey looks as good a bet as anywhere else. It's not like Isgrove *is* a WB as Boris says. Dapo +two strikers+ two CMs and something wide right, presumably Fossey as first choice looks the most likely. Sads best position of probably where Dapo plays. I don't see that. Even if we play Dapo as one of the strikers, Lee or Sheehan in as a ten are over Isgrove. I can't see him starting than 3+games next year. Prime to be upgraded..
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 12, 2022 12:14 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:40 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:20 pm
If everyone's else if fit Sadlier is starting there ahead of Izzy IMO. I won't be hounding him out but very relaxed if he follows Liam out the door.
This. I also only recall him playing WB for us once. He's filled in well when we needed him, but we can and will sign better players even for cover. He's 3rd / 4th down in the list in every position he can play in.

If he stays, fine, he seems a good sort.
If he goes, fine, I don't think we'll particularly miss him
Aye that's it for me. We might want to see Sadlier higher up the pitch. But he's not playing Izzy at RWB and leaving Sadlier on the bench, which I think is the likely decision.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 12, 2022 8:18 am

The issue with that is the assumption is we constantly play a wing back system, which is something Evatt says won't be the case going forward. He wants enough flexibility in the squad to be able to play multiple systems. That means having wingers who can fill in well in other roles - more than one.

Sads is such a player. Dapo is struggling to adapt properly, but still is. Then it's Izzy. If Dapo were out and we wanted to play that 4-2-2-2 we tried then Izzy is probably in the 11 on the flank with Sadlier through the middle. If Dapo and Fossey were both out and we wanted to play 3-5-2 then it's probably Sads at 10 and Izzy at RWB at the minute.

It's fine saying "time to get rid" and like I say I can think of lads I'd rather have in the squad at this stage, but I don't see him as a major issue right now and he's actually not that far away from a starting place. Nobody in the squad is.

Now you could argue that him being close to a start combined with you not rating him increases the need to upgrade....I'm fine with that. However it's not a case of "He's never getting close to an 11, so what's the point?" There's something to be said for having a lad who won't moan if he only plays a dozen games a season and who the manager can trust to do a specific job at a specific level.

At the minute he's an important part of the squad's "cover matrix", as one of my mates likes to call it. He becomes closer to unnecessary if we sign someone who can do the same job on either flank - a Barkhuizen, Cadden etc - as Sads is then that option for the opposite flank.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu May 26, 2022 4:59 pm

Looks like a new contract for Rico will be announced very soon.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu May 26, 2022 5:04 pm

New 3 year deal confirmed

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu May 26, 2022 5:22 pm

Get the feck in there! That’s a big statement from the club and fantastic to see that players are really buying into the project FV/Evatt/Markham et al are putting together.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 26, 2022 5:36 pm

A happy day. Well done all.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 26, 2022 5:42 pm

Superb news

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 26, 2022 6:18 pm

Bienvenido Rico..Soy Capitan, soy capitan... :pray:
Says a lot about the club appeal to our players. Every one has been positive so far. Get Fossey plus any bonuses in now and we're up and running. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 26, 2022 7:06 pm

Absolutely fantastic.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu May 26, 2022 7:08 pm

Brick wall Rico
Great news!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 26, 2022 7:21 pm

Now we just need him to get his fod on a few down the other end. 😁
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu May 26, 2022 7:57 pm

Yep think he’ll score a few next season !

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:42 am

A catch-up. Summer business so far:

Lapsing contracts not extended: Gilks, Baptiste, Greenidge, Edwards, Gordon, Tutte, Delfouneso; plus youngsters Alexander and Fitzmartin
Outgoing permanent transfer: Ronan Darcy
Loans ended: Trafford, Fossey, Amaechi

Season loans inward: James Trafford, Conor Bradley
Contract extension triggered: Luke Hutchinson, Fin Lockett
Contract extension accepted: Ricardo Santos, Adam Senior
Incoming permanent transfers: Jack Iredale, Eoin Toal

Plus various B-team signings I'll get to at some point

JUNE 2023
*James Trafford (10/10/02) – season loan from Man City, where he is contracted to 2026
Joel Dixon (9/12/93)
Will Aimson (3/6/94)
*Conor Bradley (9/7/03) – season loan from Liverpool, where he is contracted "long-term"
MJ Williams (6/11/95)
Kieran Lee (22/6/88)
*George Thomason (12/1/01)
Josh Sheehan (30/3/95)
Lloyd Isgrove (12/1/93)
Elias Kachunga (22/4/92)
Amadou Bakayoko (1/1/96)
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson (25/5/92)

Young pros:
*Luke Hutchinson (1/9/02)
*Adam Senior (20/1/02)
*Fin Lockett (20/4/03)

JUNE 2024
Gethin Jones (13/10/95)
George Johnston (1/9/98)
Declan John (30/6/95)
Kyle Dempsey (17/9/95)
Kieran Sadlier (14/9/94)
Dapo Afolayan (11/9/97)

JUNE 2025
Ricardo Santos (18/6/95)
Eoin Toal (15/2/99)
Jack Iredale (2/5/96)
Aaron Morley (27/2/00)
Dion Charles (7/10/95)

*Underage for 2022/23 season, assuming EFL age rules don't change.
No lengths given for most recent extensions of Hutchinson, Senior & Lockett contracts, so 2023 is an assumption.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:54 am

I’ll update the above when I get a mo - think it’s just Beck to add and nowt to subtract bar a couple of kids on loan - but first, a contract-extension update from Evatt:

“ Dapo has got two years left, so we are comfortable with where we are at with him. Obviously, I think there are 10 other players out of contract in the summer, and we are not ready to make decisions on many of those yet because this is a big season and we want to see where we end up at the end of it.

“For now, if there is something that we need to do, and we feel is the right thing to do, then we will do it. But we are comfortable with where we are at right now, so we will see.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... act-stars/

This is, I think, entirely right. To a greater or lesser extent (maybe Bod at one end and Dixon at the other), none of the players lapsing next summer have entirely convinced me they need extending into next season even if we are still in this division. Some might get an extension in autumn, as the club have done in the previous two seasons. But some/many/most might need to prove themselves. No bad thing.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:27 am

Honestly, Evatt is right not to offer any deals at the minute. "Playing for a deal" is a real thing in football and the players may face a bit of an odd situation. They may play well enough to earn a new deal, but in doing so get us promoted and find themselves left behind.

At least they'll have managed that other cliche, putting themselves in the shop window.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:06 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:27 am
Honestly, Evatt is right not to offer any deals at the minute. "Playing for a deal" is a real thing in football and the players may face a bit of an odd situation. They may play well enough to earn a new deal, but in doing so get us promoted and find themselves left behind.

At least they'll have managed that other cliche, putting themselves in the shop window.
I've often wondered just how much being settled at one club or geographical location influences players decision. (and maybe how much agents input does the same?) Not too important maybe to a single young man, but to older players maybe married, owning a house or in serious relationships, possibly with young families who will need settled schooling and some permanence. Some of these must surely affect decisions even with the added uncertainty of contracts, salaries etc, etc. A club sportsman's life is probably a lot more complicated than just choosing a club.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:37 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:06 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:27 am

I've often wondered just how much being settled at one club or geographical location influences players decision. (and maybe how much agents input does the same?) Not too important maybe to a single young man, but to older players maybe married, owning a house or in serious relationships, possibly with young families who will need settled schooling and some permanence. Some of these must surely affect decisions even with the added uncertainty of contracts, salaries etc, etc. A club sportsman's life is probably a lot more complicated than just choosing a club.
I dunno TD, that it's much different than many other jobs. Think the nearest I've worked to home (other than working from home) is about 200 miles away. You just end up travelling a lot at odd hours of the night...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:58 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:37 am

I dunno TD, that it's much different than many other jobs. Think the nearest I've worked to home (other than working from home) is about 200 miles away. You just end up travelling a lot at odd hours of the night...
Quite so Worthy. I think I had more in mind foreign players who play in other countries like Santos etc. Must put a strain on relationships. Just musing.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:28 pm

Santos is a London lad! He's settled on Chorley New Road now :D