Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 pm
I'd be confident on Dapo if we went up. Don't think he's done enough for any championship team to be in for him, and why not go where you're settled and valued.

John could still be tricky. Agree he's the one (closely followed by Lee and Santos) who looks far too good for this division. Similar to the reasoning on Dapo, but think he's much more likely to get a Champo offer.
Aye, I suspect Declan John will get at least one offer from the Champo (and will definitely be a free agent). But after the rejection-filled couple of years he's had, it's not impossible to imagine him sticking rather than twisting, should we get promoted.

To me, John looks the most like he's playing below his level, or indeed the one playing the most below his level. Kieran Lee has had a reasonable but injury-flecked career; Santos I can imagine being a worry for higher-division managers. But it's a nice dispute to have to govern.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:04 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:31 pm
John’s not looked as good recently. Wonder if he was the defender carrying the injury.
Thought he had a great game against Carlisle personally till he went off. Put some magical crosses in and was our best outlet as ever. He’s definitely better going forwards than defensively but that’s modern full back. To me he’s easily our ‘best’ player as in I think he’s way way above league two level. His delivery into the box is far ahead of anyone else we’ve got.
I think he has gone off the boil a bit after a fantastic start, but is still excellent.
What a signing he's been. Not often you solve a problem position and weakness by signing possibly the best player in the league. He and MJ have turned it round. Lee and Dapo have done a good job too of course, but the former pair were what we were crying out for, and in them we have exceeded all expectations. just hope we can see it out.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:01 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:04 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:31 pm
John’s not looked as good recently. Wonder if he was the defender carrying the injury.
Thought he had a great game against Carlisle personally till he went off. Put some magical crosses in and was our best outlet as ever. He’s definitely better going forwards than defensively but that’s modern full back. To me he’s easily our ‘best’ player as in I think he’s way way above league two level. His delivery into the box is far ahead of anyone else we’ve got.
I think he has gone off the boil a bit after a fantastic start, but is still excellent.
What a signing he's been. Not often you solve a problem position and weakness by signing possibly the best player in the league. He and MJ have turned it round. Lee and Dapo have done a good job too of course, but the former pair were what we were crying out for, and in them we have exceeded all expectations. just hope we can see it out.
I would suspect that Ben Jackson would be feeling a little hard done by here. Jackson seemed reasonable to begin with but the form of John's definitely kept him out of the team. Maybe John's injury might prompt a rethink on the bench, in the same way that a game against Morecambe would cause Evatt to put Jensen on the bench.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:49 am

Mar wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:01 am
I would suspect that Ben Jackson would be feeling a little hard done by here. Jackson seemed reasonable to begin with but the form of John's definitely kept him out of the team. Maybe John's injury might prompt a rethink on the bench, in the same way that a game against Morecambe would cause Evatt to put Jensen on the bench.
Dunno if you saw it but earlier this month Evatt said Jackson was unlucky to have someone as good as Declan John keeping him out of the team. Someone on here said Jackson has been playing for our U23s and I have to admit I might be tempted to pick him over the older but less "left-backy" Brocky. However, the coaching staff watch them both in training so I'll trust their decision.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:30 pm

Jackson has been playing for Huddersfield u23s whilst out of our side. I’m not sure ours have any games.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:34 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:30 pm
Jackson has been playing for Huddersfield u23s whilst out of our side. I’m not sure ours have any games.
I thought we didn’t have an U23s anymore?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:52 pm

Which would explain it! 👍

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:13 pm

Apols and thanks!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri May 07, 2021 8:36 am

News on social media yesterday that Finlay Lockett has been offered a pro contract (and presumably intends to sign it), but also has done his ACL and is going to be out for 9 months.

Although he didn't immediately look like a stand out during his fleeting first team appearances, he seems to have been doing incredibly well for the U18s and is clearly highly rated inside the club. There were also strong rumours that he was going to get snapped up by Wolves, so tying him down to a pro deal looks a minor coup for us. Wishing the lad a swift recovery and hopefully we'll see him at some point next season.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:36 am
News on social media yesterday that Finlay Lockett has been offered a pro contract (and presumably intends to sign it), but also has done his ACL and is going to be out for 9 months.

Although he didn't immediately look like a stand out during his fleeting first team appearances, he seems to have been doing incredibly well for the U18s and is clearly highly rated inside the club. There were also strong rumours that he was going to get snapped up by Wolves, so tying him down to a pro deal looks a minor coup for us. Wishing the lad a swift recovery and hopefully we'll see him at some point next season.
Shame on the ACL thing. Guy looks promising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVEUOft ... portsGroup

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 08, 2021 10:35 am

Iles reporting Gethin has had the one year extension in his contact "triggered".
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 08, 2021 10:38 am

Good to hear. Whichever division we are in I’m happy with Gethin aboard. If we go up I’d like a serious competitor for him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 08, 2021 11:15 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:38 am
Good to hear. Whichever division we are in I’m happy with Gethin aboard. If we go up I’d like a serious competitor for him.
If we don't I'd like a serious competitor for him. :-) Defensively, he's not all that and a bag of chips. Backs off too much for me...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 08, 2021 11:31 am

Fair. I'm all for competition; wonder if in D4 it might be Brocky. Or even Hickman, who I think showed promise. In D3, I'd have higher hopes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 08, 2021 12:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:15 am
If we don't I'd like a serious competitor for him. :-) Defensively, he's not all that and a bag of chips. Backs off too much for me...
Really? I like him defensively. A lot. Going forwards he’s absolute garbage bar his goal last week. A willing runner forward though and I respect that.

I have him as league two level though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 08, 2021 12:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:17 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Really? I like him defensively. A lot. Going forwards he’s absolute garbage bar his goal last week. A willing runner forward though and I respect that.

I think both he a John are a bit suspect defensively. Have a quick peek at both Exeter goals last week.

First one, he's sorta got his man, never gets closer to him, backs off and backs off, turns his back on it to watch it head into the corner.

Second one, we have more of a problem as they outnumber us 7 to 5 in and around our 6 yard box. Delf sorta has one bloke at front post, but there's an overload in the middle. All of Santos, Baps and MJ moved towards near post, leaving a free bloke stood right in front of Jones, who doesn't even get off the ground. It would be harsh to criticize him too much on this one, but he watches it unfold right in front of him. It's a size mismatch, but even a slightly put him off attempt at a header which resulted in a penalty would be better than a free shot at an open goal.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 08, 2021 5:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:17 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I think both he a John are a bit suspect defensively. Have a quick peek at both Exeter goals last week.

First one, he's sorta got his man, never gets closer to him, backs off and backs off, turns his back on it to watch it head into the corner.

Second one, we have more of a problem as they outnumber us 7 to 5 in and around our 6 yard box. Delf sorta has one bloke at front post, but there's an overload in the middle. All of Santos, Baps and MJ moved towards near post, leaving a free bloke stood right in front of Jones, who doesn't even get off the ground. It would be harsh to criticize him too much on this one, but he watches it unfold right in front of him. It's a size mismatch, but even a slightly put him off attempt at a header which resulted in a penalty would be better than a free shot at an open goal.
I get that but over the season in big games Gethin has always defended well for me. Mr consistent. I agree John can be suspect but still rate him very highly. Gethin I think is a good squad option for next year but first choice? We will see.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:12 pm

Brilliant article on The Athletic for those with a subscription detailing MJ William's comeback from a complex cartilage transplant at age 22:

Interesting snippet about his contract as well, which I don't think was mentioned when he originally signed

Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 13.10.40.png
Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 13.10.40.png (20.31 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm

I can assure you that unlike Flanners and FFT, the fact I worked at The Athletic over the weekend has nothing to do with the sudden splurge of Wanderers stories. Sadly!

Interesting that we seem to be going for these trigger clauses – same seems to have happened with Gethin, per Evo's quotes. Reasonable enough I suppose, and we might see a lot more of them.

Flipside is that it can tie a manager's hands midseason if a potentially expensive (or unwanted) clause is about to be triggered; there was a rumour that we couldn't/wouldn't pick Spearing for that reason as the finances bit, although his appearance numbers don't seem to have stopped at any suspicious number.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:58 am

Thought it was time for a catch-up of what's happened over summer and where we're at for the future.

Loan contract ended (7): Lukas Jensen, Billy Crellin, Declan John, Ben Jackson, Zack Elbouzedi, (Marcus Maddison), Dapo Afolayan
Released overage (5): Jak Hickman, Jamie Mascoll, Arthur Gnahoua, Mo Faal, Shaun Miller,
Released underage (2): Sonny Graham, Callum King-Harmes
Released second-year scholars (2): Markus Assarsson, Nathan Whalley.
Contracts offered, as yet unsigned (2): Matt Gilks, Ryan Delaney
"Discussions are also taking place with second year scholars Ryan Colvin, Jay Fitzmartin, Fin Lockett and Luke Hutchinson."
One-year contracts signed (2): Alex Baptiste, Andrew Tutte
Two-year contracts signed (4): Gethin Jones, Harry Brockbank, Josh Sheehan, Lloyd Isgrove
Three-year contracts signed (3): George Johnston, Dapo Afolayan, Ian Evatt

-------------------

JUNE 2022
*Matthew Alexander (7/5/02)
Alex Baptiste (31/1/86)
Reiss Greenidge (10/8/96)
*Adam Senior (20/1/02)
Liam Edwards (2/10/96)
Liam Gordon (15/5/99)
MJ Williams (6/11/95)
Kieran Lee (22/6/88)
Andrew Tutte (21/9/90)
*George Thomason (12/1/02)
Brandon Comley (18/11/95)
Antoni Sarcevic (13/3/92)
*Ronan Darcy (4/11/00)
Ali Crawford (30/7/91)
*Dennis Politic (5/3/00)
Nathan Delfouneso (2/2/91)

JUNE 2023
Gethin Jones (13/10/95)
Harry Brockbank (26/9/98)
Ricardo Santos (18/6/95)
Josh Sheehan (30/3/95)
Lloyd Isgrove (12/1/93)
Eoin Doyle (12/3/88)

JUNE 2024
George Johnston (1/9/98)
Dapo Afolayan (11/9/97)

*Underage for 2021/22 season, assuming EFL age rules don't change. No lengths given for extensions of Alexander and Senior contracts, so 2022 is an assumption.