Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Those dates show there's still some reconstruction work to do, especially in defence. Although I'd love to be proven wrong, I doubt we'll get to keep Dawson and I also think Alonso will quite understandably move on in summer. That leaves us with at least half a defence to find.

We'll see how Wheater is when he comes back but to me that doesn't really solve the problem; rather than pair him with Knight I'd like to put him alongside more of a ball-playing centre-back – the still-filed-under-unsure Mills? the widely-derided Ream? the ageing Ricketts? the wet-eared Bolger? Perhaps notable that only the last of those is a Freedman signing, and centre-back truly is a key position; maybe he'll be tempted to sign someone, but that would leave us with a fair few spares.

Then there's full-back, which has rarely been a Bolton strength. Again, it's a key position for transforming defence into attack, especially in the current narrow-midfield formation which allows Alonso's attacking instincts to flourish. It'll be interesting (or terrifying) to see who we're linked with for the No.3 slot. On the other side, Freedman has had kind words for Riley and seems happy enough with Mears, who has started more games than any outfielders bar Eagles and Spearing.

Speaking of Spearing, that's a big summer decision for Freedman. Not just in whether we can afford or persuade him, but whether we need him. Determined as he is, central midfield isn't an area we're short in, with Medo Kamara, Keith Andrews, Josh Vela and Darren Pratley all getting Freedman's praise in the more defensive roles, and there's Mark Davies and Stuart Holden too.

I can't see us signing many central midfielders (without shipping others out, which as never as easy as Championship Manager implies) or indeed forwards, although Tom Eaves will probably replace Kevin Davies alongside Craig Davies, Marvin Sordell and David Ngog. There might well be a case for getting another winger, but let's not forget Dougie wants to promote from within: who's coming up through the ranks?

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:06 pm

The young winger Lester could be brought into the first team squad next season instead of De Riddler.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Have to say i thought knight and ricketts were only on one year deals...I'd bin both personally...too comfortable with failure.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:04 am

officer_dibble wrote:Have to say i thought knight and ricketts were only on one year deals...I'd bin both personally...too comfortable with failure.
As would I. Free up a couple of million in wages and get as good a centre back as we can afford with it and promote a full back to deputise for Mears
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 am

officer_dibble wrote:Have to say i thought knight and ricketts were only on one year deals...
Indeed, but both given two-year deals in that hectic month last summer when we also gave Keith Andrews a three-year contract and spent, what, £4m? on Mills. You have to wonder whether we'd change any of that if we could - but as I said in January when this rumour about releasing Ricketts and Knight first arose, it's an awful lot of money for no return. And they're still first-team regulars; hasn't Knight started every game under Dougie?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:24 am

BN: Freedman wants contract talks with Holden
Freedman said rather than wrote:It’s a hard one for Stuart because we want him to be here. have told him that. I want him to stay longer. I want to give him a new contract. But it’s a difficult position for the club, where we are right now. We had to focus on where the club is at. The fans deserved better than languishing at the bottom. But we are moving up now so I have got to start looking at a few people for next year. Against Peterborough he got good game time, [and displayed] a brilliant attitude about fighting for the team. You want people like that here.
Holden said rather than wrote:I wish it had been under better circumstances because you never want to see a player get injured. I’m familiar with that one myself. I hope it’s not too bad for Mark [Davies] but any time you are called upon you have to get out there and try to put a stamp on the game. Sometimes It’s tough coming on and for the first five minutes I was running around and could not catch up with the ball but after that I thought I settled quite well.

We’ve spoken briefly about [the contract] and decided that the most important thing was me playing football. Each side is happy with the situation. It isn’t the case where one side is stressed.

The main focus for me is to play football. I need to build on my performance and there are obviously a lot of things I can improve on and ways I feel I could have contributed but that is only going to come with playing more games, so hopefully that comes for me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:26 am

I'm sure Holden will sign a new deal.

To be honest it's in his best interests to. And the clubs.

One of the clearest cut things I'd have thought.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 pm

He'll sign. It'll be done by the end of next week.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Sounds to me like we have offered him a deal but on lower terms. Might be wrong but the bit about where the club is at the moment would suggest we can't offer him premiership wages.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:43 pm

ChrisC wrote:Sounds to me like we have offered him a deal but on lower terms. Might be wrong but the bit about where the club is at the moment would suggest we can't offer him premiership wages.
I didn't read it quite like that. Hard to say without hearing the tone of voice and flow of conversation but I read it as:

"But it’s a difficult position for the club, where we are right now. We had to focus on where the club is at – the fans deserved better than languishing at the bottom..."

In other words, no contract talks while everyone at the club should be concentrating on fighting relegation...

"...but we are moving up now so I have got to start looking at a few people for next year."

...now we're in the top half maybe we can have a wee chat, Stuey lad?

Either way I wouldn't expect him to be getting top dollar (ho ho). Presumably contracts being signed these days have promotion-increase rather than relegation-reduction clauses...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 am

Of those out of contract this summer, with the exception possibly of one or two development players, I don't expect any of them to be with us come September. Of the 2014 crop, apart from Knight and possibly Wheater depending on his recovery, I'd be happy to see any of them sold if someone was willing to buy.

Unless there are significant numbers using the exit, I can't see Freedman having much opportunity to bring in players he wants.

Would be good if we could sell Ream, then maybe we could sell him again before his 2015 contract is up! :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:45 am

Enoch wrote:Of those out of contract this summer, with the exception possibly of one or two development players, I don't expect any of them to be with us come September. Of the 2014 crop, apart from Knight and possibly Wheater depending on his recovery, I'd be happy to see any of them sold if someone was willing to buy.

Unless there are significant numbers using the exit, I can't see Freedman having much opportunity to bring in players he wants.

Would be good if we could sell Ream, then maybe we could sell him again before his 2015 contract is up! :)
Unless Holden is completely washed up in terms of fitness after his injury, I'd be surprised if he wasn't offered a new deal.

The little amount of time he's played is somewhat worrying though, I have to admit.

It's clear at the very least that he's not going to be the same player he was before. I should imagine he will take more a sitting and holding role (in fact the role he had the one game he played before requiring further surgery at Villa in the cup). So if Spearing goes, I think he could do that role well, again assuming a base level of suitable fitness.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Holden were offered a new deal, I would be surprised if it was one he accepted.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:It's clear at the very least that he's not going to be the same player he was before. I should imagine he will take more a sitting and holding role (in fact the role he had the one game he played before requiring further surgery at Villa in the cup). So if Spearing goes, I think he could do that role well, again assuming a base level of suitable fitness.
Where have you got this from?

The lad has been out for 2.5 years and has been fit for (at most) a couple of months.

He's playing for a team that is well stocked in players in his position who have made a late charge from a relegation battle to the edge of the playoffs. This has meant that game time has been understandably limited.

I don't think we'll have any clue until he's had a pre-season and a consistent run of games. Whether that will be for us or someone else is another matter.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Loyal White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:It's clear at the very least that he's not going to be the same player he was before. I should imagine he will take more a sitting and holding role (in fact the role he had the one game he played before requiring further surgery at Villa in the cup). So if Spearing goes, I think he could do that role well, again assuming a base level of suitable fitness.
Where have you got this from?

The lad has been out for 2.5 years and has been fit for (at most) a couple of months.

He's playing for a team that is well stocked in players in his position who have made a late charge from a relegation battle to the edge of the playoffs. This has meant that game time has been understandably limited.

I don't think we'll have any clue until he's had a pre-season and a consistent run of games. Whether that will be for us or someone else is another matter.
I'm not suggesting anything, just that IF he was anywhere near where he was, he'd be playing for us. Clearly either form or fitness or both is not right.

Hopefully it's just down to sharpness rather than owt else.

Hopefully.

But I think anyone expecting the Holden was saw 2.5 years ago, will be sorely dissapointed IMO.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:52 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Have to say i thought knight and ricketts were only on one year deals...I'd bin both personally...too comfortable with failure.
Would agree with you, never particularly liked either of them especially Zatiah.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 07, 2013 2:49 pm

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue May 07, 2013 3:42 pm

I'd be getting Ngog (depending on wages) Eagles and Wheater signed up to longer contracts ASAP
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 07, 2013 4:27 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:I'd be getting Ngog (depending on wages) Eagles and Wheater signed up to longer contracts ASAP
Three centre-backs out of contract next summer, two the summer after... and then there's Cian Bolger, the only one (bar Dawson) signed by Freedman. He's turned 21 now, no greenhorn, so he might step up...

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Tue May 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Have to say i thought knight and ricketts were only on one year deals...
Indeed, but both given two-year deals in that hectic month last summer when we also gave Keith Andrews a three-year contract and spent, what, £4m? on Mills. You have to wonder whether we'd change any of that if we could - but as I said in January when this rumour about releasing Ricketts and Knight first arose, it's an awful lot of money for no return. And they're still first-team regulars; hasn't Knight started every game under Dougie?

You what? Feck me.