Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:50 pm

Aye get Darcy tied down next.

Wonder if any of Matthews Lowe or Murphy fancy league two or have they had enough...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:26 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:50 pm
Aye get Darcy tied down next.

Wonder if any of Matthews Lowe or Murphy fancy league two or have they had enough...
I don't reckon they have much left in the way of career options. I'd say they might take it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:20 pm

The Politic news is fantastic, and a good statement of intent.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:31 am

Iles interview with Ethan Hamilton says the young man’s Yernited contract is up in summer.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ne-bolton/

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:44 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:31 am
Iles interview with Ethan Hamilton says the young man’s Yernited contract is up in summer.

Yes I've just read that, if true that's promising & positive and a 'good' loan signing if we can get him to stay next season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:44 am
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:31 am

Yes I've just read that, if true that's promising & positive and a 'good' loan signing if we can get him to stay next season.
Agreed. Hamilton seems to rate Hill - “He’s a very good manager and it was good to come here knowing the way he works. I think he gets the best out of me, I really do. I want to be a box-to-box midfielder and he makes demands of you in that way, gets you playing on the front foot as much as you can. It is the way he wants to play football and I think we’re all buying into it now” - and while to an exent you could put that down to being polite - players rarely say "Can't stand the bloke but I need the work" - the fact that he's signed for Hill twice now certainly says something.

As has been noted, hoovering up rejects from local Big Club academies is a very good way for us to boost our numbers, from U16s all the way up to seniors. Hopefully Hamilton will impress enough to earn a contract next season and help us start bouncing back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 pm

Thought I'd update this for now; obviously things might change, but BWFC appear to be closing their own window. January business:
• Josh Earl, Jake Wright, Liam Bridcutt and Thibaud Verlinden returned to parent clubs
• Will Buckley released, then re-signed, then crocked
• Mo Faal signed (18-month contract)
• George Thomason signed (18-month contract), then loaned out
• Ethan Hamilton signed (six-month loan)
• Toto Nsiala signed (six-month loan)
• Brandon Fleming signed (six-month loan)
• Dennis Politic contract extended
• Connor Hall loaned out
• Kean Bryan signed (six-month loan)
• Anthony Georgiou signed (six-month loan)
• James Weir released
• Ryan Delaney signed (18-month contract)
• Jacob Mellis signed (six-month contract)

JUNE 2020
Remi Matthews
Josh Emmanuel
Jack Hobbs
Yoan Zouma
Toto Nsiala (loan from Ipswich, where he's contracted until 2021)
Kean Bryan (loan from Sheffield United, where he's contracted until 2021)
Brandon Fleming (loan from Hull, where he's contracted until 2021)
Joe Bunney
Jason Lowe
Luke Murphy
Ethan Hamilton (loan from the rags; contract length there unknown)
Jacob Mellis
Ali Crawford
Ronan Darcy (3rd year scholar)
Anthony Georgiou (loan from Tottenham, where he's contracted until summer 2021)
Joe Dodoo
Chris O'Grady
Daryl Murphy
Connor Hall (loaned out to Chorley until June)

JUNE 2021
Harry Brockbank
Ryan Delaney
George Thomason (loaned out to Bamber Bridge until June)
Mo Faal

JUNE 2022
Liam Edwards
Dennis Politic
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:42 pm

Is there a reason Darcy still hasn't been signed to a pro contract? He counts in our squad numbers presumably but could leave for tuppence if he's not signed up?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:55 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:42 pm
Is there a reason Darcy still hasn't been signed to a pro contract? He counts in our squad numbers presumably but could leave for tuppence if he's not signed up?

Well, we now have a full squad allocation so it would present a problem unless we we can offer a contract that begins on a future date. It's quite possible, though, that he's not overly keen to sign one, or at least one that's currently on offer.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Is he not part of that squad already by virtue of how many games he has played?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:54 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:41 pm
Is he not part of that squad already by virtue of how many games he has played?
Don't think so - you're allowed a certain number of professional contracts, which is completely reasonable given the embargo is because we failed to pay professional contracts. (Whether it's reasonable that FV's BWFC are punished for Ken's is another topic, but remember that many of these embargo rules were brought in when clubs like Leicester were seen as flouting the softness of FL reaction to insolvency events.)

But when I say "Don't think so" that's partly because the EFL doesn't make public the minutiae of the rules. Even Ilesy, a proper journalist with justifiable public interest who's been on the story for years, can't get a straight answer out of them. Maybe this is because they make it up as they go along, or maybe again it's to avoid circumvention: if you publicly expose all possible loopholes then a club with a large following will have a thousand experts offering their help to give their side a boost. Because at heart we're all selfish - witness not the just the reaction to our points-penalty suspension but also our own glee when Uncle Ken kept pulling rabbits from hats in the last tier-three season. I don't recall anyone on here complaining we were bending the rules; I certainly didn't.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:08 pm

OK, here's the squad Evatt inherits.

JUNE 2021
Matthew Alexander (18, GK, 7/5/02)
Harry Brockbank (21, CB/RB, 26/9/98)
Ryan Delaney (23, CB, 6/9/96)
Adam Senior (18, CB, 20/1/02)
Sonny Graham (18, CM, 10/6/02)
Callum King-Harmes (18, CM, 19/4/02)
George Thomason (18, CM, 12/1/02)
Mo Faal (23, FW, 1/7/97)

JUNE 2022
Liam Edwards (23, CB, 2/10/96)
Ronan Darcy (19, CM, 4/11/00)
Dennis Politic (20, RW, 5/3/00)

Out of contract:
Remi Matthews, Josh Emmanuel, Jack Hobbs, Yoan Zouma, Joe Bunney, Jason Lowe, Luke Murphy, Jacob Mellis, Ali Crawford, Joe Dodoo, Chris O'Grady, Daryl Murphy, Connor Hall

Loanees returned to parent clubs:
Toto Nsiala, Kean Bryan, Brandon Fleming, Ethan Hamilton, Anthony Georgiou
(NB all have a year on their parent-club contract except Hamilton, who has been released by MUFC)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:10 pm

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hamilton back (or us to try anyway). Local Prem offcuts, right age, did ok. Was a Jan signing at presumably TP involved.

I hadn't realised the "11" was basically all kids though beyond Delaney (and he's younger than I'd thought).

Darcy, Politic, Edwards, Brockers, Faal and Delaney the only ones you'd "expect" to be 1st team squad. Need a dozen probably.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:21 pm

I didn’t see Delaney play, and I may be jumping to conclusions because he’s 6ft5 (and willingly released by Rochdale), but is the sort of centre-back who’s comfortable getting the ball to feet from his goalkeeper, as Evatt demands? I think we’re likely to see Kean Bryan types, possibly including Kean Bryan, but there are very many options.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:26 pm

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:21 pm
I didn’t see Delaney play, and I may be jumping to conclusions because he’s 6ft5 (and willingly released by Rochdale), but is the sort of centre-back who’s comfortable getting the ball to feet from his goalkeeper, as Evatt demands? I think we’re likely to see Kean Bryan types, possibly including Kean Bryan, but there are very many options.
It’s all very well have ball playing centre backs but not much use if you concede every other corner because teams are more physical in the box than you. A balance needs striking.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:26 pm
It’s all very well have ball playing centre backs but not much use if you concede every other corner because teams are more physical in the box than you. A balance needs striking.

:mrgreen:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:28 pm

It's not always clear cut I guess though. Hill fancied him and preferred ball players at the back. Plus another Phoenix signing. And the similarly huge Dan Burn has been a mainstay for Graham Potter's Brighton this year (Potter and Phoenix in the same post).

Haven't seen him so no idea but height doesn't always mean cumbersome. Virgil van Dijk is 6'4 :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:31 pm

I'd be very happy with Kean Bryan. He looked a cut above in league 1, so should be very comfortable at that level. Prior to the pandemic I'd have thought he had better options but now I'm not so sure
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:31 pm
I'd be very happy with Kean Bryan. He looked a cut above in league 1, so should be very comfortable at that level. Prior to the pandemic I'd have thought he had better options but now I'm not so sure
I would be flabergasted if we were able to get Bryan. He's only 23 and looked to be a mid-level Championship player at worst to me. If by some miracle he were interested then he would absolutely fit with Evatt's ethos and would surely be the best defender in League 2.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Pru: Aye, there's no definitive link between height and ability. And I might be doing Delaney down, in which case I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. I just suspect that there aren't that many ball-playing 6ft5in defenders in the lower league, and that when you add Brian Barry-Murphy's predilection for passing to his happiness to release Delaney mid-contract. We'll see, I guess. I hope he's good. (And BWFCi: of course we need balance. I don't think Barrow got promoted by shipping goals. But Evatt does seem to demand that all players be happy in possession.)

On Kean Bryan - I wouldn't exactly die of shock if he came back. He's a Sheffield United player; if Evatt's football is based on a ball-playing back three in a fluid system, we might just be one of the best proving grounds for him. Same goes for other local Prem clubs who like players confident in possession. And not just the very big ones: Sounds like Evatt is already popular with Blackburn. There are good sides to being in such a low division that we're not a threat.