Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:42 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:50 pm
The length of Gethin's deal initially took me by surprise but it does make sense. He's an adequate starting RB for us in L1 for this season. We'd be foolish not to upgrade sometime in the near future, but I wouldn't be upset if he was our starting RB August next year. I think he'd then be a solid backup RB in the Championship as well, if we get promoted in the next few seasons.
What's perhaps also interesting about Gethin is that he only signed a two-year deal in the summer.
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/wa ... -new-deal/
So this is basically a year's extension, as it is for the other three. Why we've done that now is up for conjecture, not that I mind particularly.
Its good news regardless to get these players signed up. But its hard not to imagine scenarios where either Sarce got wind others were being offered deals and he wasn't or where the club and Sarce couldn't agree terms.

But yeah doesn't matter. Pleased these are signed on. I'd probably say all are good here in terms of I can't see us improving on them immediately so it makes sense. Young Thomason needs more chances - we need to really work out what his best role in midfield is. I think naturally he sits but he's not physical enough for that. I'd like to see him in a free running Vela like role because I do think he's got an engine and ability. But again possibly not right now in a league match is he ready for that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:00 pm

High time I updated this with various extensions, loans &c. Corrections and additions welcome, as ever.

DEC 2021
Xavier Amaechi (5/1/2001) – six-month loan from Hamburg, where he's contracted until 2023

JUNE 2022
Alex Baptiste (31/1/86)
Reiss Greenidge (10/8/96) - loaned to tier-5 Barnet for the season
Liam Edwards (2/10/96)
Liam Gordon (15/5/99)
Andrew Tutte (21/9/90)
Ali Crawford (30/7/91) - loaned to Scottish tier-1 St Johnstone until January
*Dennis Politic (5/3/00) - loaned to tier-4 Port Vale for the season
Nathan Delfouneso (2/2/91)

Young pros elapsing June 2022:
*Matthew Alexander (7/5/02) - youth loan to tier-7 Lancaster City for the season
*Luke Hutchinson (1/9/02) - youth loan to tier-7 Atherton Collieries until January
*Adam Senior (20/1/02) - youth loan to tier-7 Ashton United until end of November
*Ryan Colvin (8/1/03)
*Jay Fitzmartin (14/9/02) - youth loan to tier-7 Stalybridge Celtic until January
*Fin Lockett (20/4/03)

JUNE 2023
Harry Brockbank (26/9/98)
Ricardo Santos (18/6/95)
Will Aimson (3/6/94)
MJ Williams (6/11/95)
Kieran Lee (22/6/88)
*George Thomason (12/1/01)
Josh Sheehan (30/3/95)
*Ronan Darcy (4/11/00) - loaned to Norwegian tier-2 Sogndal until December
Lloyd Isgrove (12/1/93)
Elias Kachunga (22/4/92)
Eoin Doyle (12/3/88)

JUNE 2024
Gethin Jones (13/10/95)
George Johnston (1/9/98)
Declan John (30/6/95)
Dapo Afolayan (11/9/97)

*Underage for 2021/22 season, assuming EFL age rules don't change. No lengths given for extensions of Alexander and Senior contracts, so 2022 is an assumption.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:59 pm
Pleased these are signed on. I'd probably say all are good here in terms of I can't see us improving on them immediately so it makes sense.
Aye. Interesting also to see who hasn't been extended (yet?); besides Greenidge and Crawford (who we expect to go) and Politic (whose contract offer remains unsigned), it's Alex Baptiste, Liam Edwards, Liam Gordon, Andrew Tutte and Nathan Delfouneso. Which seems kinda fair enough to me. They've got time yet to earn an extension but they all feel improvable-upon.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:46 pm

I was thinking the same when looking through your list, DSB. I find it hard to imagine any of those players getting offered new deals, bar perhaps Gordon if he shows improvement through the remainder of the season.

Of the youngsters, Hutchinson seems to be highly regarded by the club, so I'd think he gets a new deal, and Fin Lockett was certainly being talked up a lot prior to his injury, so I would guess he'll also be offered new terms.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:58 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:46 pm
I was thinking the same when looking through your list, DSB. I find it hard to imagine any of those players getting offered new deals, bar perhaps Gordon if he shows improvement through the remainder of the season.

Of the youngsters, Hutchinson seems to be highly regarded by the club, so I'd think he gets a new deal, and Fin Lockett was certainly being talked up a lot prior to his injury, so I would guess he'll also be offered new terms.
Yep. The kids are a different topic really, I don’t know enough about them to say. But it strikes me that clearing five senior spaces in summer might be no bad thing. We need to keep improving.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:22 pm

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:58 pm
But it strikes me that clearing five senior spaces in summer might be no bad thing. We need to keep improving.
Absolutely. Regardless of where we find ourselves next season, we will need to improve.

*edit* Just seen today's news on extensions. Good.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:53 pm

I think all these contract extensions are excellent news. Lee has earned his in spades so far this season and his experience and character will be vital for the squad. Jones is a good player to have in the squad at any of the three levels we could play at next season, as is Williams (who probably earned a bit of a pay bump). Thomason is a player I really like and I'm delighted to see him sign new terms.

A experienced pro, 2 mainstays and a youngster - all of the required quality. Can't get much better.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:02 pm

You had a question, Ghost?
Yes, oh Rules Wonk....

Is Thomason counted as a senior pro for next season?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:53 pm
I think all these contract extensions are excellent news. Lee has earned his in spades so far this season and his experience and character will be vital for the squad. Jones is a good player to have in the squad at any of the three levels we could play at next season, as is Williams (who probably earned a bit of a pay bump). Thomason is a player I really like and I'm delighted to see him sign new terms.

A experienced pro, 2 mainstays and a youngster - all of the required quality. Can't get much better.
Really is this not a bit OTT, it's good news I agree tying these 4 down but 'it can't get much better' ? believe me it needs to get better than just these 4 over the next few seasons, but it is a start.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:13 pm

I think it was more of a 'cup of tea, bacon butty and the test match on the telly Sunday morning' can't get any better, than anything absolute!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:19 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:13 pm
I think it was more of a 'cup of tea, bacon butty and the test match on the telly Sunday morning' can't get any better, than anything absolute!
The fact this needs saying....can't get much worse.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:02 pm
You had a question, Ghost?
Yes, oh Rules Wonk....

Is Thomason counted as a senior pro for next season?
<genie pops out of lamp>

Assuming the EFL doesn’t change its rules… no.

Current rules are that anyone born on or after New Year’s Day 21 years prior to the start of the season - so 1/1/2000 this time - is underage for that season.

This is the last such season for Politic and Darcy.

Thomason (born 12/1/01 according to the official site and Wiki, although 12/1/02 per Transfermarkt) and Amaechi will be underage next season too.

Hutchinson, Alexander, Senior and Fitzmartin have another two seasons after this.

Colvin and Lockett have three.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:53 pm

Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:46 pm
Yeah, I was thinking about this. You'd imagine that means we are serious about both, having offered them new deals to sign. They will take up squad places during the next year of such deals, so we're not wasting spaces on players for the sake of it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:58 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:53 pm
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:46 pm
Yeah, I was thinking about this. You'd imagine that means we are serious about both, having offered them new deals to sign. They will take up squad places during the next year of such deals, so we're not wasting spaces on players for the sake of it.
Yes, with the caveat would could dregoster and loan out for six or 12 months if unsure. We would be very far from the only club to do that.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:02 pm

Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:58 pm
Yes, with the caveat would could dregoster and loan out for six or 12 months if unsure. We would be very far from the only club to do that.
There's always the chance players won't make the cut, yeah. Also depends which division we are in.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:39 pm

For all the chat about it, 22 senior outfield spots is quite a lot.

Assuming you want 2x each position, you've got another 2 free before you get to underage players (e.g. Thomason).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Assuming you want 2x each position, you've got another 2 free before you get to underage players (e.g. Thomason).
It's basically the standard 25 that a lot of leagues employ, because clubs have 3 keepers. The issue is that we don't have a lot of 19 and 20 year olds who can push in during a crisis. Our "youth" players are either a bit shy of proper or old enough to need loans for regular football.

2 per position and 2 utility players is the ideal. The "ideal" squad Sam used to talk about is still where it's at.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:54 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:44 pm
Prufrock wrote:

It's basically the standard 25 that a lot of leagues employ, because clubs have 3 keepers. The issue is that we don't have a lot of 19 and 20 year olds who can push in during a crisis. Our "youth" players are either a bit shy of proper or old enough to need loans for regular football.

2 per position and 2 utility players is the ideal. The "ideal" squad Sam used to talk about is still where it's at.
Not sure Sam was a proponent of two per position as it leaves you with redundancy. He was a big fan of utility options.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Yeah, you want to see how many shoes my Martha has for one pair of feet? It is quite a lot until you get one or two injuries...two in the same position and it looks incredibly thin.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:54 am
Not sure Sam was a proponent of two per position as it leaves you with redundancy. He was a big fan of utility options.
He used to talk about it a lot. His ideal was always two players per position, a third keeper and two utility players - but we could never afford it. It was his favourite gripe about Chelsea.