Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:13 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 pm
I suspect Declan John will get at least one offer from the Champo (and will definitely be a free agent). But after the rejection-filled couple of years he's had, it's not impossible to imagine him sticking rather than twisting, should we get promoted.

To me, John looks the most like he's playing below his level, or indeed the one playing the most below his level. Kieran Lee has had a reasonable but injury-flecked career; Santos I can imagine being a worry for higher-division managers. But it's a nice dispute to have to govern.
Apols for my failure to keep up, but has there been any talk of us signing John? What's the latest?

I see that his contract with Swansea doesn't expire until August, which isn't brilliant, unless we can get a pre-contract in place.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 am

He’s been released. He has offers and is considering them.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:53 am

Worryingly quiet. Sounds like he's waiting to see if there's a better offer, which is fine, but less than optimal.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:00 pm

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 am
Good player as he undoubtedly is, if our offer isn't good enough, maybe we'd be better looking elsewhere now. Collective team spirit seems to have been a key factor amongst those who want to play for us.

I'm a Bolton loyalty man, first and foremost. . You may reserve the right to disagree, of course.. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:00 pm
Good player as he undoubtedly is, if our offer isn't good enough, maybe we'd be better looking elsewhere now. Collective team spirit seems to have been a key factor amongst those who want to play for us.

I'm a Bolton loyalty man, first and foremost. . You may reserve the right to disagree, of course.. :D
I think there will need to become a point, TD. But at this stage of closed season, I'm not sure we've reached it and I don't blame John for looking to see what offers he might get. The difference in average salary in the Champo and L1 is huge and as much as you might want to show loyalty, you also have to look after what's at home too. :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:09 pm

Ah, cheers.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:19 pm

While I understand Tango's point, I'm with W4E - it's too early to panic and switch yet, we're still in the first third of June. Any player worth his salt will have more than one suitor; John is perhaps the most employable of our spring loanees, and after a while in the wilderness will be carefully weighing his options. I imagine we have also offered him much less than he was on at Swansea, and while he might not be able to get that much again right now, he wouldn't be wise to jump straight into an avoidably huge wage cut.

Evatt will have a time in mind when he switches to pursue other targets, but there's a lesson from recent history here. Although we hired Liam Gordon nice and early, he was only supposed to be the back-up left-sider - Evatt wanted Calum McFadzean. That didn't work out (and I'm told Evatt fumed at Phoenix for that failure) so we hired Jamie Mascoll instead, and that simply didn't work.

Hopefully this time we'll have better back-ups in mind - Max Clark has been mentioned, but it's also said that Evatt and Markham have monitored dozens of players. Last summer's mass recruitment was never going to be 100% successful, but this summer's needs to be more targeted and selective. And there's always the loan market: It wouldn't surprise me if we've already sounded out Huddersfield about borrowing Ben Jackson again, and the Terriers would presumably be happy to lend him to a higher-tier team if he's more likely to get game time (ie if Dec doesn't come).

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:07 pm

Yeah I think it's important to remember that John was getting in the Wales squad when he signed for Swansea. It's safe to assume that he was getting paid way more than whatever we've offered, and taking a massive pay cut won't be easy to stomach, no matter how much he enjoyed his time at Bolton.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:17 pm

Its early June. I mean Gilks hasn't signed yet. And I'm sure he will. These things take time. Its not like we will be waiting without reason. If we get the feeling that John is set on playing the field all summer I'm sure we'll move on. But this feels right now like hugely jumping the gun. I'd say start of July is when, if nowt has happened publicly and John is still weighing up options that Bolton may feel the need to move on to an extent. But let the lad sort his future out. Its not just about money is it, its where he wants to live, where he wants to base his family etc...lets not think doing deals for good players like John is usual for the start of June.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:38 pm

Worth noting that Josh Sheehan's post after we announced him was, "It's finally announced"....meaning the rumour that he had signed on the Friday may have been accurate anyway. Equally, plenty of deals are basically agreed days (sometimes weeks) before the finer details are all ironed out.

It could be that John is just waiting on formalities, or it could be he's looking at other offers. We have no way of knowing and we shouldn't jump the gun and make judgements about loyalties etc.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:38 pm
Worth noting that Josh Sheehan's post after we announced him was, "It's finally announced"....meaning the rumour that he had signed on the Friday may have been accurate anyway. Equally, plenty of deals are basically agreed days (sometimes weeks) before the finer details are all ironed out.

It could be that John is just waiting on formalities, or it could be he's looking at other offers. We have no way of knowing and we shouldn't jump the gun and make judgements about loyalties etc.
Exactly this. Deals are often agreed in principle and then people go off on their ‘holidays’ come back to formally sign. In a months time yes this might be a valid discussion but right now let’s see what happens.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:19 pm

Gilks in, Delaney out
Suspect signing another left sided defender was the writing on the wall for big Ryan. Did quite like him but it sounds like we have upgraded.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:40 pm

Always sad when money (one way or another)is the obstacle, but that's professional football. Obviously they were more than a little apart in their valuations. Hope Delaney gets a new club sorted; good luck to him Even loyalty isn't elastic and cuts both ways.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:40 pm
Always sad when money (one way or another)is the obstacle, but that's professional football. Obviously they were more than a little apart in their valuations. Hope Delaney gets a new club sorted; good luck to him Even loyalty isn't elastic and cuts both ways.
Might not necessarily have been money, maybe contract length or chance to play. Wish him well though, obviously. Seemed a decent lad and a good pro.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:50 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:40 pm
Might not necessarily have been money, maybe contract length or chance to play. Wish him well though, obviously. Seemed a decent lad and a good pro.
That's why I bracketed !"one way or another") L.E.... :wink:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:10 am

I'm just doing a colour chart of contract expiries so I understand where we stand. Am I right in thinking Sarc has one year left?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:06 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:10 am
I'm just doing a colour chart of contract expiries so I understand where we stand. Am I right in thinking Sarc has one year left?
You'll watch a 90-minute game, but you won't go back one page... :mrgreen:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:58 am
JUNE 2022
*Matthew Alexander (7/5/02)
Alex Baptiste (31/1/86)
Reiss Greenidge (10/8/96)
*Adam Senior (20/1/02)
Liam Edwards (2/10/96)
Liam Gordon (15/5/99)
MJ Williams (6/11/95)
Kieran Lee (22/6/88)
Andrew Tutte (21/9/90)
*George Thomason (12/1/02)
Brandon Comley (18/11/95)
Antoni Sarcevic (13/3/92)
*Ronan Darcy (4/11/00)
Ali Crawford (30/7/91)
*Dennis Politic (5/3/00)
Nathan Delfouneso (2/2/91)

JUNE 2023
Gethin Jones (13/10/95)
Harry Brockbank (26/9/98)
Ricardo Santos (18/6/95)
Josh Sheehan (30/3/95)
Lloyd Isgrove (12/1/93)
Eoin Doyle (12/3/88)

JUNE 2024
George Johnston (1/9/98)
Dapo Afolayan (11/9/97)

Signed a couple since then - Declan John's three years, Aimson's two.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:17 am

That's all very well but I now realise I forgot to send Ricardo a birthday card for today. He may never speak to me again
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:22 am

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:06 am
You'll watch a 90-minute game, but you won't go back one page... :mrgreen:

Signed a couple since then - Declan John's three years, Aimson's two.
It's good you think I only watch one 90 minute video. Makes me sound almost sane. :lol:

It's the "signed a couple since then" part. I was making sure that there hadn't been any updates I had missed. Williams has a clause in his contract that extends it if he plays 'x' games next season, I think; so I was wondering if Sarce had activated anything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:33 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:22 am
It's the "signed a couple since then" part. I was making sure that there hadn't been any updates I had missed. Williams has a clause in his contract that extends it if he plays 'x' games next season, I think; so I was wondering if Sarce had activated anything.
I haven't heard/read anything about other triggers bar Gethin, who got an upgrade anyway.