Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:25 pm

Santos has just been on Twitter, thanking God for summat or other. A new contract maybe? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:00 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:25 pm
Santos has just been on Twitter, thanking God for summat or other. A new contract maybe? :conf:
Getting in Sharon's good books before negotiations? :conf: 🙏

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 06, 2022 5:45 pm

Worth nudging this up the board again.

I was having a think today about which of the players moving into their last 12 months might be capable of earning extensions and which I think are naturally going to phase out of our little project. Anyone got any picks?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 06, 2022 9:31 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:45 pm
Worth nudging this up the board again.

I was having a think today about which of the players moving into their last 12 months might be capable of earning extensions and which I think are naturally going to phase out of our little project. Anyone got any picks?
To make your job easier, these are:

Joel Dixon
Ricardo Santos
Will Aimson
MJ Williams
Kieran Lee
George Thomason
Josh Sheehan
Ronan Darcy
Lloyd Isgrove
Elias Kachunga
Amadou Bakayoko
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson

Obviously Santos is the big one there, in more ways than one. Getting his contract extended ASAP this summer would heighten the anticipation.

Bodvarsson has started to look a very good player, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets an extension in autumn, not unlike those given to a handful of players last November (Gethin, Sexy Kieran, MJ and Tomo). Bakayoko, too, if he carries on as he has this season; even if his all-round game might not be quite up to it, you could picture him being given a year's extra to see how he cut it in the Champo (if all goes well).

But that's the thing: any extensions beyond summer 2024 will mean Evatt trusts them to do a job at a higher level, should we get there. I think that's less likely in some cases (Dixon, Aimson) than others (Kachunga), but to me they're all on notice. And that's the way it should be. If we do go up, we might need half a dozen new players. Those who have already been on the fringes are first in line to drop out of the picture. It's merely sound business sense.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 07, 2022 2:44 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:31 pm
But that's the thing: any extensions beyond summer 2024 will mean Evatt trusts them to do a job at a higher level, should we get there. I think that's less likely in some cases (Dixon, Aimson) than others (Kachunga), but to me they're all on notice. And that's the way it should be. If we do go up, we might need half a dozen new players. Those who have already been on the fringes are first in line to drop out of the picture. It's merely sound business sense.
Santos will extend his deal. Or at least, barring anything shocking happening in immediate future (football is football, anything can happen, additional cliches).

All the others go into next season playing for their futures and that's arguably a good thing. If they leave Bolton it won't be to anywhere bigger, nor on better money - so there should be an additional drive there.

The other advantage is that they will all, to a man, believe they can get at least another year out of us. Some may yet leave, but if any of those who stay aren't running through brick walls next season they'll have only themselves to blame.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 09, 2022 12:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:44 am

All the others go into next season playing for their futures and that's arguably a good thing.
Indeed. However, I do think that this season will be the last we see of Dixon, Aimson, possibly Williams, Darcy and definitely Isgrove (who I think will be loaned out anyway)

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon May 09, 2022 1:09 pm

I think Isgrove's versatility and atiitude will probably save him from moving elsewhere this season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pm

Where we're at right now. Summer business so far:

Lapsing contracts not extended: Gilks, Baptiste, Greenidge, Edwards, Gordon, Tutte, Delfouneso; plus youngsters Alexander and Fitzmartin
Loans ended: Trafford, Fossey, Amaechi
Contract extension triggered: Luke Hutchinson, Fin Lockett
Contract extension offered: Adam Senior
Free transfer inward: Jack Iredale

JUNE 2023
Joel Dixon (9/12/93)
Ricardo Santos (18/6/95)
Will Aimson (3/6/94)
MJ Williams (6/11/95)
Kieran Lee (22/6/88)
*George Thomason (12/1/01)
Josh Sheehan (30/3/95)
Ronan Darcy (4/11/00)
Lloyd Isgrove (12/1/93)
Elias Kachunga (22/4/92)
Amadou Bakayoko (1/1/96)
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson (25/5/92)

Young pros:
*Luke Hutchinson (1/9/02)
*Adam Senior (20/1/02) – subject to him signing it
*Fin Lockett (20/4/03)

JUNE 2024
Gethin Jones (13/10/95)
George Johnston (1/9/98)
Declan John (30/6/95)
Kyle Dempsey (17/9/95)
Kieran Sadlier (14/9/94)
Dapo Afolayan (11/9/97)

JUNE 2025
Jack Iredale (2/5/96)
Aaron Morley (27/2/00)
Dion Charles (7/10/95)

*Underage for 2022/23 season, assuming EFL age rules don't change.
No lengths given for most recent extensions of Hutchinson, Senior & Lockett contracts, so 2023 is an assumption.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 11, 2022 9:53 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:09 pm
I think Isgrove's versatility and atiitude will probably save him from moving elsewhere this season.
I’m with Bruce. He’s a likeable lad but I think those injuries have pushed him onto the fringe - and he wants to play football (as he should). Can see a loan until Jan and we’ll see where both sides are after.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 11:28 am

The thing is, I like everyone left at the club now; but we can definitely improve on a few - especially if we are talking longer term planning.

Obviously the gaps in the squad take priority. Plus we need to leave room for growth if we go up. It might be worth keeping some of the lesser lights who are expiring next season so that we have squad spaces for the Championship.

You don't want 22 outfield players contracted beyond next summer and ideally you probably want room for half a dozen when you make the step up, as a different calibre of recruit becomes available.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 11, 2022 12:56 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:28 am
that we have squad spaces for the Championship.

You don't want 22 outfield players contracted beyond next summer and ideally you probably want room for half a dozen when you make the step up, as a different calibre of recruit becomes available.

Woah, woah, woah. You called me out on us releasing Gordon. I think he'd have been a perfect squad player for next season. He demonstrated last season that he could cover.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 2:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:56 pm
Woah, woah, woah. You called me out on us releasing Gordon. I think he'd have been a perfect squad player for next season. He demonstrated last season that he could cover.
Gordon was nowhere near the level to challenge for promotion to the Championship. He might be a League One player for a lower club with more games, but he's not close to what we need. He needs a season or two in League Two.

Isgrove, Kachunga etc are much better players than Gordon at the moment and there's still an argument for upgrading both of them.

I'm not sure I called you out on anything, but I'm glad we've massively upgraded from Gordon to Iredale.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 11, 2022 3:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:05 pm

Isgrove, Kachunga etc are much better players than Gordon at the moment and there's still an argument for upgrading both of them.
Kachunga, yes, but Isgrove? Really? He dreadful. He can't cross the bloody street, yet there are folk on here lauding his versatility?!

He struggled last season. I mean in 20/21. In Division 4.

Anyway....

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed May 11, 2022 8:17 pm

Isgrove is a far more effective player than Gordon, both in an attacking and defensive way. Not even sure that's debatable to be honest Bruce.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 11, 2022 9:06 pm

Attacking wise they're equally effective. Defensively you might be right. Which is a damning indictment on both.

Both seem good eggs, Lloyd particularly so in a "I bet he loves the stories in footballers autobiographies about shitting in somebody's car" way, but not good enough.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 9:27 pm

After signing Iredale, what purpose would Gordon serve in the squad? He'd be 3rd choice as left wing back and possible 4th choice as left back.

Izzy is probably 2nd in line for that right wing back slot at the minute.

Even if you think Gordon is a better player, he serves no purpose and Izzy does at the minute.

I'd like an upgrade in an ideal world, but I don't worry about having him in the squad.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 11, 2022 10:20 pm

If everyone's else if fit Sadlier is starting there ahead of Izzy IMO. I won't be hounding him out but very relaxed if he follows Liam out the door.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 11, 2022 10:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:20 pm
If everyone's else if fit Sadlier is starting there ahead of Izzy IMO. I won't be hounding him out but very relaxed if he follows Liam out the door.
This. I also only recall him playing WB for us once. He's filled in well when we needed him, but we can and will sign better players even for cover. He's 3rd / 4th down in the list in every position he can play in.

If he stays, fine, he seems a good sort.
If he goes, fine, I don't think we'll particularly miss him
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 11, 2022 10:51 pm

I do like little Lloyd, and I think he's untransferable until he's proved he's over those dreadful injuries. Hope he gets back, but he's not promotion squad material it's true.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 11:26 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:20 pm
Sads is a better player. No doubt in my mind about that. However, I think it's easy to fall into the trap with utility men of counting them as "cover" for about 87 different positions and then realising that you will end up playing them out of position for half a season.

We want Sads starting his runs further up the park where he can hurt teams more regularly. That means having proper cover for the wingbacks so he only has to play there in a real crisis.

If Izzy were 23 I'd be excited to see him learn a new role. At 29 I'd rather have us look around for improvement, but if not I'm fine with seeing him in a white shirt next season.