Relegation - Boom or Bust?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Your Attitude to Relegation

Never - I want to watch us in the Prem
56%
Never - The club will go bust
22%
Never - Same money for Fizzy Pop ST's - WTF??
No votes
I'd welcome it - Better football, more adventure
10%
I'd welcome it - Change of manager
4%
I'd welcome it - Its part of the building process
2%
Other
6%

Total votes: 50

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Relegation - Boom or Bust?

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 pm

I've probably said this somewhere else, but personally, I'm completely unfazed by the thought of relegation and indeed, would welcome it with open arms to some degree. New grounds to visit, a chance of actually winning a match, playing teams who haven't got £200 million worth of substitute and are therefore on an almost level playing field.

So, relegation; Boom or Bust people?
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Relegation - Boom or Bust?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I've probably said this somewhere else, but personally, I'm completely unfazed by the thought of relegation and indeed, would welcome it with open arms to some degree. New grounds to visit, a chance of actually winning a match, playing teams who haven't got £200 million worth of substitute and are therefore on an almost level playing field.So, relegation; Boom or Bust people?
Shall we ask, Bradford, Coventry, Wimbledon, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Barnsley, Ipswich, Watford, Portsmouth, Derby, Burnley, Leeds, Crystal Palace, Hull, Charlton, Sheffield Utd, Oldham, Sheffield Wednesday fans the same question?

All clubs relegated from the top flight, who failed to come back up, and just look where some of them are now.

All clubs who had fans saying "ahh its ok, we'll be straight back after a season of winning every game in sight, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzeeeeee".

Yeah. And all fans who would bite their left arms off to be back in the premiership again.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Well, personally speaking (of course), I'd be in the bust category. I like to be able to see proper top notch quality. I already support another club where I can go and watch crap players scrap on an uneven playing field against equally crap players - can get quite tedious at times.
Speaking unpersonally (collectively?), to be in the Prem is in a way a lifeline, you don't want to be doing a Leeds and striving forevermore to rebuild a once 'great' club. Plus, you never know the hidden depths of financial ruin it (relegation) might bring. I think we are in for some shock exterminations over the next few years as club after club fold on a more regular basis than they have up to now.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:28 pm

Would be an absolute disaster - see Portsmouth
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 pm

I take your point BWFCi but that presumes that we really want to get back into the Prem. I'm not sure I ever would. Some play off games, decent cup runs, I'd be happy. Promotion would only ever be worth it for the TV money for the season and the parachute payment. I think WBA may have have a perfect model really, they seem to be happy doing a 'boing boing' with the odd season in the Prem whilst spending very little.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Dear Bijou Bob,
I believe your are suffering a small mid-life crisis. Don't worry it happens to all of us. Unfortunately, you seem to have taken it too far and seem to want to dwell within this crisis for the rest of your life! I have a cure for you, a miraculous cure. Accompany me to a few Evo-Stik Northern Premier League games for the rest of this season [home to Frickley Athletic this weekend, and it's not that far to travel either], that'll sort you out.
Regards,
The Agony AuntAxman

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I take your point BWFCi but that presumes that we really want to get back into the Prem. I'm not sure I ever would. Some play off games, decent cup runs, I'd be happy. Promotion would only ever be worth it for the TV money for the season and the parachute payment. I think WBA may have have a perfect model really, they seem to be happy doing a 'boing boing' with the odd season in the Prem whilst spending very little.
I want us to win the FA cup; not really that arsed about anything else.
The chances of us ever winning again it are slim at best.
But if we don't have a Premiership strength squad the chances of us winning it are non existent.
We need to be in the top flight.
Businesswoman of the year.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 pm

The Axman wrote:Dear Bijou Bob,
I believe your are suffering a small mid-life crisis. Don't worry it happens to all of us. Unfortunately, you seem to have taken it too far and seem to want to dwell within this crisis for the rest of your life! I have a cure for you, a miraculous cure. Accompany me to a few Evo-Stik Northern Premier League games for the rest of this season [home to Frickley Athletic this weekend, and it's not that far to travel either], that'll sort you out.
Regards,
The Agony AuntAxman
Small crisis??!!! Why can't I have the full blown, divorce/big bike/gym thing. Oh....................

Watching Morecambe has been fun this year, it's like going back to the 80's!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I take your point BWFCi but that presumes that we really want to get back into the Prem. I'm not sure I ever would. Some play off games, decent cup runs, I'd be happy. Promotion would only ever be worth it for the TV money for the season and the parachute payment. I think WBA may have have a perfect model really, they seem to be happy doing a 'boing boing' with the odd season in the Prem whilst spending very little.
And if we don't then what the hell are we playing for each week? Shits and giggles?

Its about the competition, the buzz and excitement that goes with that. Take that away and you're left with nowt.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
And if we don't then what the hell are we playing for each week? Shits and giggles?

Its about the competition, the buzz and excitement that goes with that. Take that away and you're left with nowt.
Take that away? You may not have noticed, but it has been taken away. We're in the Premier League. A competition we have no hope of winning. A competition in which the best we can hope for is mid-table mediocrity, of avoiding the relegation scrap. A competition which is more or less decided before a ball is kicked, by seeing which of the big beasts has the most money. A non-competition, in any real sense.

Relegation may not be entertaining, but the Premier League is not a real competition. I can say now that if we do stay up, I'm not renewing my season ticket.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Wether we want to be in one or not, you have to say a relegation scrap is pretty exciting. It has all the emotion of going for the title (I'd imagine)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm

boltonboris wrote:Wether we want to be in one or not, you have to say a relegation scrap is pretty exciting. It has all the emotion of going for the title (I'd imagine)
You think? I find it dull and depressing, myself.

To compare it with going for the title - would you rather be involved in a relegation scrap, or in a safe, mid-table spot?

Then consider would you rather be going for the title, or in a safe, mid-table spot?

Completely different emotions.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:18 pm

It's not about what I'd rather have. That's be a title challenge everyday! What I mean is, people are saying we've nothing to play for. Of course we have. Being in a relegation battle gets the emotions going the same way a title challenge would.

Maybe moreso. How many pitch inasions do you see at Old Trafford when they've won the title, compared to at teams who have stayed up on the last day?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:23 pm

we must stay up not only is our clubs longterm survival dependant on it but seriously the championship wont be easy for us we dont have the cash to pay out to new signings/contracts go straight back up

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Why would any one want to settle for second best ? Premier league is where every club wants to be

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm

I want to stay up, obviously, but if we go down you wont see me in my replica shirt crying my eyes out behind the net.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Relentless09 wrote:Why would any one want to settle for second best ? Premier league is where every club wants to be
Exactly. After eleven seasons with the best I can't understand why anyone would vote otherwise. We did the downward spiral, grand style, once, don't want it again.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:21 pm

boltonboris wrote:It's not about what I'd rather have. That's be a title challenge everyday! What I mean is, people are saying we've nothing to play for. Of course we have. Being in a relegation battle gets the emotions going the same way a title challenge would.

Maybe moreso. How many pitch inasions do you see at Old Trafford when they've won the title, compared to at teams who have stayed up on the last day?
Meh. Are there likely to be huge celebrations if we survive? Or just general shrugs, and thoughts of "Oh well, more of this shit next year..."?

I know what you mean - but it's an outpouring of relief, rather than anything. And I think most would be more relieved (and less likely to do a pitch invasion) if we were safe before the Stoke game.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Relentless09 wrote:Why would any one want to settle for second best ? Premier league is where every club wants to be
But you'll happily settle for 17th best (which is probably all we can manage in the Premier League this season)?

And then continue on without a hope of winning the thing, dreaming of being not even second best, but 10th best if we're lucky?

Why would anyone want that?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Puskas wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Wether we want to be in one or not, you have to say a relegation scrap is pretty exciting. It has all the emotion of going for the title (I'd imagine)
You think? I find it dull and depressing, myself.

To compare it with going for the title - would you rather be involved in a relegation scrap, or in a safe, mid-table spot?

Then consider would you rather be going for the title, or in a safe, mid-table spot?

Completely different emotions.
But striving for staying in the premiership is at least a competition. Going down and saying we don't even want to come back up, what the hell would the point be?