The Match Against Blackburn Rovers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

The Match Against Blackburn Rovers

Post by William the White » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 pm

I think this game should be played, and played with pride, and the recognition that our game and our club go on. We go on through whatever we face. We go on through grief. We go on through disappointment. We go on through fierce rivalries. We go on through joy. We go on through fear. We go on with hope. We go on with absolute and resolute commitment. We go on because this thing is important to us. We go on because of our fathers, our mothers, our great aunties and grandmas that dressed us in white and navy blue scarves and sent us on our way down the Manny Road.

Look, we go on, just because we do, because this is more than men kicking a ball, because it calls on deeper feelings, because it makes us feel in a place where feelings are mocked. Because it makes us laugh, it makes us cry, and it makes us hope.

And this game should be played because we need these three points to stay where we want to be...

At the moment, I don't feel we have any 'rivals' - the football world has sent an unmistakable message to us. they are with us...

On Saturday... We have a game. In this game I want no cards flourished. i want no mockery between the fans (the Rovers fans will be great, I know they will)...

There is only one thing that should cause the postponement of this match... and may that not, not happen...

Come On You Whites!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Match Against Blackburn Rovers

Post by Hoboh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:17 am

We should opt out of the cup or play it on a neutral ground is my opinion WHL may be a step to far for some players OF BOTH TEAMS.

The Blackburn game is another kettle of fish, most people I have known who are seriously ill or worse have wanted others to get on, possibly Moo might feel the same. The goodwill messages and support for him and his family and the club from all over the world will have been a comfort and have been acknowleged as such, we need to move on without forgetting and still supporting all involved.

Just my humble opinion

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:35 am

Hoboh wrote:We should opt out of the cup or play it on a neutral ground is my opinion WHL may be a step to far for some players OF BOTH TEAMS.

The Blackburn game is another kettle of fish, most people I have known who are seriously ill or worse have wanted others to get on, possibly Moo might feel the same. The goodwill messages and support for him and his family and the club from all over the world will have been a comfort and have been acknowleged as such, we need to move on without forgetting and still supporting all involved.

Just my humble opinion

I respect your opinion but I disagree. We should carry on with the competition. I was reminded this morning of '58 when Manchester United's team were decimated but they carried on. We beat them in the final when the whole country wanted us to lose. We should fight on and expect Spurs to give us a severe test, as will Chelsea and whoever we meet in the final (because I think we'll get there now).

What has happened to Fabrice Muamba has been shocking. It could have been (could still be) tragic. We should still fight on though and pay our respects to the Spurs fans from last Saturday. I'm sure Fabrice Muamba would want that too.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:41 am

Agreed Gary. Especially now Fab seems on the mend, albeit early stages. The show must go on.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:43 am

cancelling Villa - fine - the right decision.

the rest - we should get on with it and play to win. there should be no question at all of dropping out of the FA Cup or cancelling the B'burn game.

claus jensens guitar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by claus jensens guitar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:44 am

White Hart Lane is our 2nd most played at stadium in all competitions after the Reebok during our latest stint in the Premiership.

If the players want to repay their thanks to the Spurs fans, Howard Webb & the medical staff for their actions wouldn't it be fitting to give them a spectacle of a game and honour the fantastic cup tradition the two teams share.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:44 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hoboh wrote:We should opt out of the cup or play it on a neutral ground is my opinion WHL may be a step to far for some players OF BOTH TEAMS.

Just my humble opinion

I respect your opinion but I disagree. We should carry on with the competition. I was reminded this morning of '58 when Manchester United's team were decimated but they carried on. We beat them in the final when the whole country wanted us to lose. We should fight on and expect Spurs to give us a severe test, as will Chelsea and whoever we meet in the final (because I think we'll get there now).

What has happened to Fabrice Muamba has been shocking. It could have been (could still be) tragic. We should still fight on though and pay our respects to the Spurs fans from last Saturday. I'm sure Fabrice Muamba would want that too.
Agree with this.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:45 am

The reason the semi-final shouldn;t be played at a neutral venue for me is simple. But some may think it sounds harsh. But it isn't my intention.

It isn't Tottenham's fault that what happened to Muamba happened. So why should they lose the home advantage that the quarter-final draw (fairly) gave them?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 am

Lovely sentiments, Will.

And FWIW I agree that we should start again on Saturday against Blackburn, at our home ground, and then play on with whatever the fixture list brings. Let's hope there's more than one cup game, eh? I bet Fab would love a trip to Wembley next month.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:26 am

I think it would be best to let the club make the decisions with regard to what the players feel capable of doing/not doing.

I can only imagine they are mentally shot to pieces right now.

We will have proper psychologists making assessments and advising Coyle on the group. He will make the right decision.

Not easy either way.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think it would be best to let the club make the decisions with regard to what the players feel capable of doing/not doing.

I can only imagine they are mentally shot to pieces right now.

We will have proper psychologists making assessments and advising Coyle on the group. He will make the right decision.

Not easy either way.
Exactly

Nobody on here knows what state the players are in

I think it would be best for them to get out playing but wtf do I know

For all we know Coyle might still be in London on Friday
Sto ut Serviam

leyther95
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leyther95 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:52 am

We should play on Saturday as the players will be fired up and wanting to get a win for Fab! In regards to the FA cup we should not drop its not what Fab would want, If we have to go back at WHL we will do it we will go there and get a win and return to Wembley.. DONT DROP OUT OF THE CUP FOR FAB, WIN IT FOR FAB!

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 am

leyther95 wrote:We should play on Saturday as the players will be fired up and wanting to get a win for Fab! In regards to the FA cup we should not drop its not what Fab would want, If we have to go back at WHL we will do it we will go there and get a win and return to Wembley.. DONT DROP OUT OF THE CUP FOR FAB, WIN IT FOR FAB!
We should go out and try and win it because it's a game of football and we need points to stay up, for the club and the town as it's always been. Winning something "for Fab" is just adding undue pressure to an already nerve-wracking situation.

leyther95
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leyther95 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:48 am

50sQuiff wrote:
leyther95 wrote:We should play on Saturday as the players will be fired up and wanting to get a win for Fab! In regards to the FA cup we should not drop its not what Fab would want, If we have to go back at WHL we will do it we will go there and get a win and return to Wembley.. DONT DROP OUT OF THE CUP FOR FAB, WIN IT FOR FAB!
We should go out and try and win it because it's a game of football and we need points to stay up, for the club and the town as it's always been. Winning something "for Fab" is just adding undue pressure to an already nerve-wracking situation.
Completley disagree with you I have a mate who sadly died last April and the team had an impossible task the following Sunday however the lads stuck together and give it one hell of a go. Its the incentive that your doing it for Fab and not the 3 points it adds more to the players mind sets.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:56 am

leyther95 wrote:
50sQuiff wrote:
Completley disagree with you I have a mate who sadly died last April and the team had an impossible task the following Sunday however the lads stuck together and give it one hell of a go. Its the incentive that your doing it for Fab and not the 3 points it adds more to the players mind sets.
And I think your sentiment of winning a football match on someone's behalf is misplaced at best. "Winning it for Nat" didn't work out well for anyone.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:08 am

Personally, I think the game will & should go ahead. As professionals, the player's will want to get back to normality as soon as they can, and that means playing football. I cannot think of a better game for the team to begin that process with. A local derby, and what is (despite the recent events); a must win game for both clubs. There will be no quarter given by either side & that's how it should be. As for the Spurs replay; myself, I'm not bothered if we forfiet the tie. However, if it goes ahead I'm sure the players would be doing everything available to them to win the game and ensure they have another Wembley game on their c.v.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:29 am

Kevin Davies says the players were given the option of training or not, depending on how they feel right now (today's BN). He wants physical stuff to work over it, but realises others may not. I agree with just letting the people most qualified to make decisions, ie, the club. That's what will happen anyway, and rightly so. The whole club, from the owner downwards, have been fantastic through it all and deserve the highest praise.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:34 am

Play on. We're a football club, its what we do. We can't stop forever. Life goes on, I'm sure the first person to understand this would be Fabrice Muamaba
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:37 am

I think we may get a positive reaction out of the players for this one.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:51 am

If the Blackburn match goes ahead, fine. If we call it off, fine. If we carry on with the Cup, fine. If we pull out, fine.