Away at Wolves

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Away at Wolves

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:09 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote: :goal:
Only need another 10 without conceeding again, to make it level. ;-)

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:09 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote: I think QPR and Wolves must be considered nearly expired at this point, given QPR's fixtures. So I not quite as cheerful as BWFCi yet.
Except QPR are wining all the fixtures they're meant to be losing...

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:18 am

Has Wheater been given some kind of licence to roam? He seemed to have quite a few incursions into Wolves's penalty area, or was that me reading too much into the BBC highlights?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:37 am

ratbert wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: I think QPR and Wolves must be considered nearly expired at this point, given QPR's fixtures. So I not quite as cheerful as BWFCi yet.
Except QPR are wining all the fixtures they're meant to be losing...

WHich puts our result against them into some kind of context, doesn't it?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:46 am

Gail Platz wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Klasnic is not lazy, he just cant hold the ball up or win a header or make runs due to a lack of pace.

Those things combined make him look a bit like he can't be arsed when the reality is he just doesn't have the bustly, hard working striker game in him!
Yes, he's all of the above but he's also a fecking lazy bastard as well.
He's a coward on the pitch. The amount of times he pulled out of tackles that he was favourite for, was embarassing.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:50 am

boltonboris wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Klasnic is not lazy, he just cant hold the ball up or win a header or make runs due to a lack of pace.

Those things combined make him look a bit like he can't be arsed when the reality is he just doesn't have the bustly, hard working striker game in him!
Yes, he's all of the above but he's also a fecking lazy bastard as well.
He's a coward on the pitch. The amount of times he pulled out of tackles that he was favourite for, was embarassing.
Petrov does the same.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:52 am

I've seen 10 x more desire from Petrov in recent weeks than when Klasnic has played.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:00 am

boltonboris wrote:I've seen 10 x more desire from Petrov in recent weeks than when Klasnic has played.
Agreed though he still pulls out of tackles!

I genuinely don't think many premiership teams could carry Klasnic for 90 minutes and we're no different. I do think people are being a little harsh, I don't think Klasnic is necessarily completely at fault, he just doesn't have the engine to do that kind of work up front. Its not his game, probably never will be.

As said previously we'd not have any more success with Michael Owen up there. That fox in the box type player, just doesn't fit how the modern game is currently played.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:52 am

No real surpises here. We've known for ages that Klasnic isn't a 90 minute man. He's an opportunist, a poacher who should be brought on for twenty minutes, thirty maximum, when we desperately need a goal, and only then if we're attacking and not trapped in our own box. Gerard Borgettii was the same type, if anything, better than Klasnic, but they don't work with our sort of game. We need ninety minute workers and to only use players like Klasnic in moderation. Our strategy seems to have become; soak up the pressure by defending in depth and then turn it on in the second half.

It's far from ideal, as is our penchant to be in front and then pull up the drawbridge, but given our injury scene you have to do the best you can. I've been defending KD for eons, but using players to suit the type of opposition proves the squad has options. Saturday well proved the point; N'gog, who got little joy on Saturday and isn't a target man for the bang-it-forward method, is good on the ball but gets little change from night-club bouncer defenders. In these cases, bring Klasnic on when somebody like KD-who can win ariel stuff- has unsettled defences or at least kept them busy. All said, we're not doing badly right now, keep it up.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:55 am

TANGODANCER wrote:No real surpises here. We've known for ages that Klasnic isn't a 90 minute man. He's an opportunist, a poacher who should be brought on for twenty minutes, thirty maximum, when we desperately need a goal, and only then if we're attacking and not trapped in our own box. Gerard Borgettii was the same type, if anything, better than Klasnic, but they don't work with our sort of game. We need ninety minute workers and to only use players like Klasnic in moderation. Our strategy seems to have become; soak up the pressure by defending in depth and then turn it on in the second half.

It's far from ideal, as is our penchant to be in front and then pull up the drawbridge, but given our injury scene you have to do the best you can. I've been defending KD for eons, but using players to suit the type of opposition proves the squad has options. Saturday well proved the point; N'gog, who got little joy on Saturday and isn't a target man for the bang-it-forward method, is good on the ball but gets little change from night-club bouncer defenders. In these cases, bring Klasnic on when somebody like KD-who can win ariel stuff- has unsettled defences or at least kept them busy. All said, we're not doing badly right now, keep it up.
KD has been awful but seems to have turned a corner to an extent. If that is the case and he's on form for the remaining games then thats massive for us.

Disagree about NGog though, for me he is a target man more than owt else. Not necessarily in the same way as KD but he does lead the line well.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:14 pm

we defended miles better than we have all season.
Wheater- Ream look a decent pairing for us.
Wheats - eyeballs out last ditch type- will do well against most but the top 6
Ream- quick enough and reads it well enough to get out of trouble.

agree that N'Gog needs to play as target man. - not for flick ons but the ball sticks to him better than SKD.
probably not time to experiment but would like to senn Miyiachi partner NGog up top. really stretch defences
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:22 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote: agree that N'Gog needs to play as target man. - not for flick ons but the ball sticks to him better than SKD.
probably not time to experiment but would like to senn Miyiachi partner NGog up top. really stretch defences
You might note I did specify in the ariel game, which we still do play a lot of.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
lovethesmellofnapalm wrote: agree that N'Gog needs to play as target man. - not for flick ons but the ball sticks to him better than SKD.
You might note I did specify in the ariel game, which we still do play a lot of.
Nah Coyle is a straight up Daz man...

:mrgreen:

In all seriousness if KD is back on form, I think we could get considerable joy hitting him with the long ball and bypassing the midfield in certain games and getting the likes of NGog, Petrov, Miyaichi to play off the scraps. We did that a bit towards the end of the Wolves game and the simplicity of it worked at times. Not something to do for 90 minutes every game but last 20 minutes of games, against tiring teams, it could create some chances for us.

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

Post by m_taylor » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Did anyone else see the stats that were shown during half time on the live stream of this game?

It showed to my surprise that Klasnic and Petrov covered more ground in the first half than N'gog. I found that shocking as I have always been under the impression that N'gog never stops running but there it was on the screen. (Only first half mind)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:53 pm

m_taylor wrote:Did anyone else see the stats that were shown during half time on the live stream of this game?

It showed to my surprise that Klasnic and Petrov covered more ground in the first half than N'gog. I found that shocking as I have always been under the impression that N'gog never stops running but there it was on the screen. (Only first half mind)
Klasnic was playing the withdrawn striker role so had to continually track back and drop into midfield, so its no great surprise.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Would want to see how much 'high intensity' running they were doing. Klasnic does run around in circles chasing the ball but at that kind of cantering pace which doesn't put much pressure on anyone.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:58 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:we defended miles better than we have all season.
Wheater- Ream look a decent pairing for us.
Wheats - eyeballs out last ditch type- will do well against most but the top 6
Ream- quick enough and reads it well enough to get out of trouble.

agree that N'Gog needs to play as target man. - not for flick ons but the ball sticks to him better than SKD.
I thought Ream was outstanding on Saturday, his composure in the first half particularly when the shots were flying in was impressive!
The Voice Of Reason

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:02 pm

A slightly delayed reaction report on the game from Bobo.

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/lupus-at-molineaux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:A slightly delayed reaction report on the game from Bobo.

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/lupus-at-molineaux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bobo, since you mentioned Mrs Always Hopeful in dispatches, I thought I'd clear up any confusion and confirm that she's hopeful that one day she'll be able to claim that Wolves are the one and only Wanderers. Bless. :roll:
Hope is what keeps us going.