Marvin Sordell

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Marvin Sordell

Post by mrpiccollo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:15 pm

On 31 January 2012, Sordell signed for Premier League club Bolton Wanderers on a three-and-a-half year contract for an undisclosed fee. He made his debut on 4 February when coming on as a substitute for David N'Gog in Bolton's game at Norwich City which they eventually lost 2–0

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2008–2012 Watford 79 (27)
2008 → Wealdstone (loan) 5 (2)
2010 → Tranmere Rovers (loan) 8 (1)
2012– Bolton Wanderers 2 (0)

is he actually going to get a chance at bolton ?

why did we buy him if hes not even getting offf the bench every so often late in a game?

and if he is going to be rarely used why did we let vaz te go and buy marvin?

newboy
Promising
Promising

Re: Marvin Sordell

Post by newboy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Been asking that question myself should get a game this week end and if not then you have to question Coyles wisdom in getting him in ,much the same with Tuncay. :conf:

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:27 pm

He's 'one of the future' I suppose, but having said that, we could have got him in summer rather than in January.

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:31 pm

would love to see him actually get a chance alongside SKD or maybye ngog his pace with either could hurt people and personally feel him klasnic and ngog sitting deeper would be quite a dangerous frontline

but im a fan or all out attack so my oppinion is not often best suited to boltons available squads :p

bogdan
steinson wheater ream ricketts

------------nrc

miyayachi ngog petrov

klasnic sordell

if fulham/newcastle can survive this lineup for 90 mins and not concede ill eat my hat

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:38 pm

mrpiccollo wrote:would love to see him actually get a chance alongside SKD or maybye ngog his pace with either could hurt people and personally feel him klasnic and ngog sitting deeper would be quite a dangerous frontline

but im a fan or all out attack so my oppinion is not often best suited to boltons available squads :p

bogdan

------------nrc

miyayachi ngog petrov

klasnic sordell

if fulham/newcastle can survive this lineup for 90 mins and not concede ill eat my hat

The question is how many we'd concede with that lineup. I've a feeling your hat may be safe this season, cos if Coyle goes for that lineup I'll plait piss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:43 pm

I suspect that given we have won three in a row without him - Coyle is currently happy with what he's got.. also - there was a CONSIDERABLE gap between VT leaving and sordell arriving - was it even the same manager??? that's a bizarre link to make!

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:23 pm

mrpiccollo wrote:would love to see him actually get a chance alongside SKD or maybye ngog his pace with either could hurt people and personally feel him klasnic and ngog sitting deeper would be quite a dangerous frontline

bogdan

------------nrc

miyayachi ngog petrov

klasnic sordell

Is your hat a Sombrero ??

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:30 pm

YtarmyYtarmy wrote:

bogdan

------------nrc

miyayachi ngog petrov

klasnic sordell

Is your hat a Sombrero ??
or perhaps one of these? :wink:

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:31 pm

Sordell should be used sparingly, he's still unproven at 'Barclays Premier League' level and it's not like we're mathematically safe is it?
Pfffft.

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:01 pm

YtarmyYtarmy wrote:Is your hat a Sombrero ??
thebish wrote: or perhaps one of these? :wink:

my hat looks like this

thebish wrote:I suspect that given we have won three in a row without him - Coyle is currently happy with what he's got.. also - there was a CONSIDERABLE gap between VT leaving and sordell arriving - was it even the same manager??? that's a bizarre link to make!
my point being we let a reserve striker go 1 season who has been with us for years and was regularly scoring albiet not in first team contention on a free only to wait a year and buy sordell seems a little strange to me, also vaz is bagging for fun in the championship ^^ and that hair lol

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:39 pm

and what the hell is that hanging out of his ear?!

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:52 pm

I agree with the general sentiment. We don't seem to give kids a chance at the moment.

After we bought Marvin we sent O'Halloran off to Sheffield United, slightly more current than Vaz Te. O'Halloran seems to be getting a few minutes in League One so that's a good thing.

If "he's not ready for the premiership" and we're not going to play the kids in the cup(s), why do we not buy him and send him straight out on loan? He'll be missing half a season when he could have been getting competitive experience somewhere. At the start of next season will he be any more ready after sitting on our bench/playing in the reserves?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm sure Sordell has talent but 3million is waste of money for someone who isn't going to play, surely we could have brought in some one who could help us survive this season

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:49 pm

given we were in the bottom 3 when we signed him I query the logic of buying 'ones for the future'at said time...with the proceeds from the sale of your best centre half.

I imagine Coyles response would be that it was a good deal at the time and he will hold his value. We will see. Wish we could sign a midfielder at the moment!

He wouldn't get in the side for me at the moment...but I dont know owt about him. Hopefully we can give him a run out if 3-0 up tomorrow.

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Can't believe some of the lack of understanding and patience on this thread.

Look at where we are.
Look at certain performances.
Ask how individuals have ended up in before him and why.

The lads time will come. To start him now over N'Gog would be unfair and stupid. To play him over a midfielder and change the system we have (given that Pratley is back tomorrow) would be unfair and stupid IMO.

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 pm

the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:Can't believe some of the lack of understanding and patience on this thread.

Look at where we are.
Look at certain performances.
Ask how individuals have ended up in before him and why.

The lads time will come. To start him now over N'Gog would be unfair and stupid. To play him over a midfielder and change the system we have (given that Pratley is back tomorrow) would be unfair and stupid IMO.
agreed but i was just making the point id like to actually see the lad play (in a bolton shirt) from what i see of him hes got talent and will score plenty for us when he get 10 starts back to back like ngog we can all know if he will be a white for sometime to come or if hes just a benchwarmer for us, id like to just see him play and get off the bench once ina while though really.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 pm

When Sordell did get a couple of run outs he looked over eager to me.Desperate to prove himself,I think in time he may well prove a good signing but I'm not sure how much impact he'd be having if he was getting a run out right now.I think Coyle has been right to hold him backin the circumstances.We switched to 451 around the time he arrived which limited his chances and if you want an impact sub who do you go for Klasnic or Billy the Kid?
He'll do alright and at present we are doing alright inspite the obvious limitations so what's with the carping? Tuncay ? well that's a different question. No idea why coyle doesnt rate him or apparently like him. It's just odd!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:00 am

We bought Sordell cos Cardiff City were after him and they asked Coyle his opinion on him. Then he jumped in first and bought him.
Businesswoman of the year.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:28 am

Oops, that's not quite right.

Bolton boss Owen Coyle has made a £3.2million swoop for Watford striker Marvin Sordell – after a transfer feud with Cardiff counterpart Malky Mackay.

Coyle made an inquiry for Sordell during deadline day but backed off because of the price-tag and after making background checks on the young forward.

The Premier League club had contacted former Watford manager Mackay for an honest assessment of the England Under-21 international’s recent form before increasing their offer.

Mackay advised Bolton that the young forward was not yet ready for the step up, but Coyle then discovered that Cardiff had tabled a £3.2million offer for Sordell - and were whisking him to Wales for a medical.

Coyle immediately matched that bid, offering Sordell a ticket to the Premier League rather than a reunion with his old gaffer in Cardiff.
Businesswoman of the year.

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:57 am

I would like to see him come off the bench from time to time, if the opposition have carthorse defenders i.e Fulham tomorrow if Ngog is struggling on his own then throw him on the lad is quick. The Tuncay saga is weird heard he was having talks with Reading at the weekend, with a view to signing a permanent deal next season if they come up to the premiership :conf:
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;