Follow/unfollow

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Follow/unfollow

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Comes the curious time of the season when other teams' results mean as much as ours, so we find ourselves watching games willing teams to lose.

Even more bizarrely, under the wise old saw that my enemy's enemy is my friend, this can mean supporting foe-opposing teams who normally leave us indifferent or inflamed with hatred – such as the recent games between the unspeakable champions and our Lancashire relegation rivals.

And, this being the fag-end of the season (and with the double-round Easter programme spread over six days like an ill-advised stag trip in Slovakia), much of this is being played out live on the tellybox.

So how do you handle it? Fervently watch our relegation rivals' every move, becoming an anti-fan developing anti-crushes on our rivals' ringleaders? ("Diakite, you diving fouling w*nkbag!")

Or do you hide behind the virtual settee, doing anything - anything - to while away the hours and only checking after the final whistle, with hope in your heart but a stone in your gut?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Follow/unfollow

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:25 pm

I try to keep away from it. But curiosity inevitably gets the better of me.
For example I try to watch something intellectual and thought provoking to keep my mind from it-last night it was Man v Food-but can't help myself from getting quarter hourly updates by flicking over to SSN when the adverts are on.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:27 pm

A mixture of everything. Avid watching, not watching but sporadic checking and complete and utter avoidance till the final scores.

No way is particularly pleasant.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:28 pm

It's the feeling of wanting man united to win, or being happy when andy carroll scores...all these horrible dirty feelings it makes me feel !

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Watched the 2 recent games. It's good when they lose (Blackburn) but not when they win (QPR).

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Watched Blackburn v Liverpool - elated.

Avoided yesterday's results and watched Match of The Day - gutted.

Problem is, avoiding scores then watching MOTD means you start thinking like a television producer. I knew Wigan were going to at least draw with Man United, because that match was on first. If United had won, they would have put City on first. There was no point putting the City game on second, with everyone watching in the knowledge that they were 11 points adrift at kick off.

Bit of tangent there.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:07 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:I try to keep away from it. But curiosity inevitably gets the better of me.
For example I try to watch something intellectual and thought provoking to keep my mind from it-last night it was Man v Food-but can't help myself from getting quarter hourly updates by flicking over to SSN when the adverts are on.
This!

How big was that 7 pound burger??

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:41 pm

I follow every team at the bottom watched last night's game with QPR and Swansea, at the same time i had sky sports website on to check on Wigan and Utd that result didn't surprise me one little bit. I will continue to watch every game at the bottom until we are relegated.
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:I try to keep away from it. But curiosity inevitably gets the better of me.
This!

How big was that 7 pound burger??
Easily as big as a football. I reckon I could've taken it down.

I'd have brought it straight back up as soon as I saw the Wigan/Utd score like.
Businesswoman of the year.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:22 pm

I don't think I've washed off the shame of supporting United last night. Wigan were superb however which makes it even more depressing....
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:18 pm

I will generally will anyone to win that does us a favour (doesn't actually matter when in the season). That's willing them to win, rather than "supporting"

There is one exception, where I just accept whatever the result is. DMB's. Whilst I'd have been delighted if Wigan had lost last night, I'm delighted that DMB's lost - I'd be even more delighted if City turned over the 8 point lead they had. They'd be fooking gutted.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Comes the curious time of the season when other teams' results mean as much as ours, so we find ourselves watching games willing teams to lose.

Even more bizarrely, under the wise old saw that my enemy's enemy is my friend, this can mean supporting foe-opposing teams who normally leave us indifferent or inflamed with hatred – such as the recent games between the unspeakable champions and our Lancashire relegation rivals.

And, this being the fag-end of the season (and with the double-round Easter programme spread over six days like an ill-advised stag trip in Slovakia), much of this is being played out live on the tellybox.

So how do you handle it? Fervently watch our relegation rivals' every move, becoming an anti-fan developing anti-crushes on our rivals' ringleaders? ("Diakite, you diving fouling w*nkbag!")

Or do you hide behind the virtual settee, doing anything - anything - to while away the hours and only checking after the final whistle, with hope in your heart but a stone in your gut?
Pretty much this DSB, I have to kind of follow a relegation rival as my best mate is a QPR fanb anyway and took him along to the Reebok for the phantom goal. Got a Minion at work who is a Wigan fan who is a nice enough bloke and also acquaintances that are Dingles fans.

I hope for my best mates sake that QPR stay up but that Wigan, Blackburn and Wolves get relegated. Although to be honest I'll still be going to the Bok if the worst comes to the worst
Pfffft.

Mitch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mitch » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:A mixture of everything. Avid watching, not watching but sporadic checking and complete and utter avoidance till the final scores.

No way is particularly pleasant.
... and the absolute shite feeling you get when you are willing one of your hated teams to win. :evil:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:36 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:It's the feeling of wanting man united to win, or being happy when andy carroll scores...all these horrible dirty feelings it makes me feel !
Yes... so true...

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:37 am

Well this afternoon I'll be watching closely as teams could start to pull away from us if they win