Pompey fan in peace

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

powered_by_pies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Pompey fan in peace

Post by powered_by_pies » Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Hello guys, sorry to see you get relegated today. Always enjoyed going to the Reebok and having some beer and banter with you back in the day.

Hope all goes well in the Championship, it's a cracking league to be in to be fair, we've had more fun there in the past couple of years than we did in our last couple of seasons in the prem - mind you, it hasn't ended all that well for us.... :?

Anyway, just thought I'd pass on my best wishes, hopefully with any luck we'll sort ourselves out and see you again soon - either in the Championship or back in the Prem.
"...A Pompey fan? On a Bolton board? What will they think of next?"

Rip
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Pompey fan in peace

Post by Rip » Sun May 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks. Hope your financial worries get sorted.

All the best!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun May 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Cheers pal sorry you picked a bad day to drop by

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Sun May 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks mate. Good luck with your financial situation.

powered_by_pies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by powered_by_pies » Sun May 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Rip wrote:Thanks. Hope your financial worries get sorted.

All the best!
Cheers, hopefully they will. Our supporters' trust is currently trying to form a bid to take the club on with the fans pledging to the fund to make it happen. The idealistic dream is we get our club back under our ownership. My opinion? I'm not 100% sure it'll work, but it's a better vision than having the loan shark who's put us into administration twice come and 'reluctantly' buy us back again (only to cream off a bit more from the parachute payments). We'll see how it goes.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun May 13, 2012 11:25 pm

cheers my friend, it's very very painful at the moment as you well know but we'll dust ourselves down and rebuild for next year. I've just worked out that per game myself and my lad will pay less than £15 per game (that's for the two of us) next season so even better value plus we might win a few more games
The Voice Of Reason

powered_by_pies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by powered_by_pies » Sun May 13, 2012 11:36 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:cheers my friend, it's very very painful at the moment as you well know but we'll dust ourselves down and rebuild for next year. I've just worked out that per game myself and my lad will pay less than £15 per game (that's for the two of us) next season so even better value plus we might win a few more games
Aye, like I said it's slightly better value and some pretty good games as well; Palace, Brighton (don't be fooled, their stadium is gorgeous and they play good football under Poyet), Boro, Forest, Possibly Blackpool/Wet spam....

We had some absolute crackers this season, 4-3 loss against the spammers which was still a good game, 3-0 home win against Forest, 3-0 away win against Peterborough where we basically took over their stadium, best out of the lot though was last season's 6-1 home win against Leicester - they'd beaten us 2-1 in the Carling Cup four days beforehand, again at home.

Results are very much more up in the air, it's not like trudging to Old Trafford or Stamford knowing you're up against it before a ball's even been kicked, anyone can beat anyone else in the Championship.

You'll feel down about it now, but believe me, as long as you have a relatively decent opening few games, you'll start to wonder what all the fuss with the Prem is all about.

HM Murdock
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by HM Murdock » Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 am

Cheers pal. Hope they sort out the money worries for you lot, would be sad to see a club like Pompey go under
West Stand White

powered_by_pies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by powered_by_pies » Mon May 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'll pass them on to fellow Pompey fans.

As quoted over in the 'summer transfers' thread.....
wanderers_on_tour wrote:Tbh (pardon the pun) I'd quite like you to start a new thread on this very subject. Have to say i'm horribly out of touch with the current Pompey fiasco and helps us all open our eyes a touch.
Ok. This could take a while. Sorry if it becomes an essay.

So, the latest news is we have until the Football League's AGM on 1st/2nd June to find an owner, or for our supporters' trust to take over the club. The trust needs to raise around 5m to be seen as a viable bid from administrator Trevor Birch - as far as I'm aware, we're about 90% of the way there.

The club has once again despicably fail to pay money to charities. We're devastated by this. Former CEO David Lampitt - whose previous job was head of integrity at the FA (oh, the irony) has merely said "er, sorry." Not good enough, in our eyes.

A new CVA needs to be drawn up but we won't know if we can honour it until someone's taken over. The spectre of Balram Chainrai, the man who 'loaned' 17m to 'Ali Al-Faraj' (the man we don't even think exists) and has put us into administration TWICE, looks set to take control for a third time, making a total mockery of the FAPPT.

All of our players are up for sale to try and get funds in to keep the club going, and to drop a horrendous wage bill - like I said on the transfer thread, Ben-Haim on 36k a week. The mind boggles at why the people who drew up that contract thought it was viable.

The only bright light on the horizon is manager Michael Appleton. The loans he bought in last season did superbly, and he 'gets' us. He's a proper battler, and I hope we keep him, but with Hodgson taking the England job, he could well be offered the position at West Brom. I wouldn't blame him if he went.

Basically, I can see us dropping down to League 2 - or out of the League altogether, or even ceasing to exist as a whole - if the club isn't taken on by someone who can nurture it and get it on the right track, or if Chainrai re-gains control as he simply wants the parachute payments. As a side-note, during the last admin in 2010, Chainrai offered to pay small creditors owed 2500 or less in full - they're all still waiting for the cheques. That says it all.

Any questions, feel free to fire them my way. The whole situation's a complete mess, and even we struggle to comprehend it all at times.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 14, 2012 8:19 pm

How come that fella is looking like taking over again?

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 pm

I wish you the best of luck. I've had a lot of sympathy for you guys. There but for the grace of Eddie Davies go we. Would be happy to donate $10 to your supporter's bid if there's some sort of online method to do so.

powered_by_pies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by powered_by_pies » Mon May 14, 2012 8:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:How come that fella is looking like taking over again?
Two reasons.

One, in the eyes of the Leagues, he's done nothing wrong.

When 'Faraj' defaulted on a loan payment and Chainrai seized the club and put it into admin the first time, we were in the Prem. Different set of rules.

He bought the club out of the first admin when we were in the Championship, so had to undergo the Football League's FAPPT. He then 'sold' the club to Convers Sports - when I say 'sold', I mean CSI were paying Chainrai in instalments for the club and defaulted after Vladimir Antonov was arrested for alleged fraud, allowing Chainrai to seize the club and put it back into administration again. In the League's opinion, he wasn't the one who caused the club the financial problems that resulted in administration; he was 'the one holding the baby', as it were.

So, if he undergoes a second FAPPT, he'd most likely pass as in the League's jilted view, he hasn't done anything wrong.

Two, he wants the parachute payments to pay his now 18.2m 'loan' the club owe him. The original amount was 17m - strangely enough, before he got involved with the club, he won a court battle against Arkadi Gaydamack, father of Sasha (the F.A. Cup period owner) with the courts ordering Gaydamack to pay Chainrai..... surprise surprise...... 17m.

Basically we've been left with the tab for a very expensive bar bill, and he ain't leaving until it's paid.

powered_by_pies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by powered_by_pies » Mon May 14, 2012 8:57 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:I wish you the best of luck. I've had a lot of sympathy for you guys. There but for the grace of Eddie Davies go we. Would be happy to donate $10 to your supporter's bid if there's some sort of online method to do so.
Thanks for the sentiments.

The supporter's trust bid initiative means that Pompey fans are 'pledging' an initial 100 pounds to a trust fund. Should a high enough number pledge to the point where the administrator believes we're a viable bid, then those fans will fully pledge to the fund and turn the 100 into 1000 pounds each.

At the moment I don't think there's anywhere for fans of other clubs to donate, but there may be scope for it.

As I said though, thanks for the kind gesture. Nice to know there are some proper football fans out there who at least sympathise with our situation; I pray that any financial problems you may have never get to the stage we're at. It's been hell.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon May 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I've always had a soft spot for you as a 'proper' club with a proper ground and that bloke with the top hat, tattoos and piercings was as funny in real life when I met him as he looks!

Good luck with next season, apart from our 2 matches obviously. Hmmmm Ben Haim anyone??? :D
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

powered_by_pies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by powered_by_pies » Mon May 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Thanks for the kind words. I've always had a soft spot for you as a 'proper' club with a proper ground and that bloke with the top hat, tattoos and piercings was as funny in real life when I met him as he looks!

Good luck with next season, apart from our 2 matches obviously. Hmmmm Ben Haim anyone??? :D
Erm, we were relegated to League 1 this season......

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 14, 2012 9:06 pm

The one thing that will always stick in my craw about when Pompey first went through the mill was that as work-a-day men and women of the club shop, the ticket office, the laundry room, the ground staff, the newsagent that delivered the club's newspapers and so on went without pay, Sol Campbell was digging his heels in over the £1M he was owned in image rights. I will never have anything other than for utter contempt for the c*nt!
May the bridges I burn light your way

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon May 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:The one thing that will always stick in my craw about when Pompey first went through the mill was that as work-a-day men and women of the club shop, the ticket office, the laundry room, the ground staff, the newsagent that delivered the club's newspapers and so on went without pay, Sol Campbell was digging his heels in over the £1M he was owned in image rights. I will never have anything other than for utter contempt for the c*nt!

beat me to it mate can't stand that cvnt

And now TBH is doing the same

Fvckers

hope you get it sorted mate was always abit jealous of pompeys atmos great little club
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

powered_by_pies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by powered_by_pies » Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:The one thing that will always stick in my craw about when Pompey first went through the mill was that as work-a-day men and women of the club shop, the ticket office, the laundry room, the ground staff, the newsagent that delivered the club's newspapers and so on went without pay, Sol Campbell was digging his heels in over the £1M he was owned in image rights. I will never have anything other than for utter contempt for the c*nt!
Harry signed him on around 100k a week.

This is what's wrong with modern-day football, and it saddens me that not enough people out there in the Prem and the Football Leagues have sat back, watched us crash and burn, and thought to themselves 'whoa. We need to re-think what we're doing here.'

Problem is these people offer the contracts and so the club has an obligation to honour the contract. I'm sure at the time we signed Sol, Gaydamack had a grand vision for the club, but it all went Pete-Tong and he didn't re-build the infrastructure which would perhaps have saved our bacon. I'd rather he'd have built us a circa 30k re-developed Fratton Park and a training ground to call our own, than go and sign the players he did to win the cup.

To put it into perspective, I lived with a Chelsea fan in my 2nd year at uni. When our problems started coming out, he was giving banter about it, until one day I asked him "so what do you think would happen to Chelsea if Roman pulled out overnight?"

"He won't, he loves the club too much, he wouldn't leave us for dead."

"That's what Sasha Gaydamack said."

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Mon May 14, 2012 9:58 pm

The only thing I don't like about Portsmouth is it's so bloody far away!

Would have liked you lot to stay up, I enjoyed my last visit there when your best pal Diouf secured a UEFA cup place for us.

All the best next season, always want a genuine real club like you to do well.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 14, 2012 10:37 pm

powered_by_pies wrote:I'd rather he'd have built us a circa 30k re-developed Fratton Park and a training ground to call our own, than go and sign the players he did to win the cup.
I'm quite familiar with Portsmouth and the area, P_B_P, and although Fratton Park is locked in on two sides by houses, it's always looked to me (though it has been five or six years since i was last down that way) that there's an absolute shitload of land just by FP on which you could build a new ground. What's gone on with that?
May the bridges I burn light your way