The Barcl.... npower Championship

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

keveh
Icon
Icon

The Barcl.... npower Championship

Post by keveh » Mon May 14, 2012 3:24 pm

I tweeted the following this morning:
I'm gutted about being relegated, but is anybody else a little bit excited about next season? Its almost like a weight has been lifted #bwfc
After the months of being unsure as to whether we'd survive or not I feel relieved that we now have an outcome and know where we'll be playing next season. It was like a wave of calm came over me and the stress of worrying about the next game has gone.

Being relegated is awful and I would never wanted it to happen to us, however I had already accepted it a few weeks back so yesterdays result was not a shock and didn't send me in to a week of depression (that no doubt is happening to others).

So, rather than dwelling on what has been a truly awful season I am determined to look forward to next season and the positives it could bring. I don't want to be negative regarding the players who may be in the starting line up, I'd rather look at the positives that will come out of this. God knows how long we've all waited to see Sordell play, well next season is his chance to get on the pitch and show us what he's made of, it's about time we had a quick striker!

Next season will hopefully give us a better look at Vela and see if he is capable of holding down a first team position. Although Holden will be back (he won't be going anywhere after this injury) he's going to need resting now and then which will mean Vela stepping up.

I don't know whether it's nostalgia bringing back the memories of when we dominated league 1 or that really I am actually depressed, but I'm looking forward to next season and hope that it's refreshing change and will give us a chance to actually start building a new team.

This thread is for people to post future positivity!

(any negativity will be deleted because I'm not having you bastards bring me down with you!)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Barcl.... npower Championship

Post by thebish » Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 pm

keveh wrote:I tweeted the following this morning:
I'm gutted about being relegated, but is anybody else a little bit excited about next season? Its almost like a weight has been lifted #bwfc

trying to weigh it up in my mind... I think I am more optimistic about the promise of a rebuild in the championship than I would be at the prospect of next to no money to spend and so another season being doomed as the premiership whipping-boys...

but then i have a philosophy of life that makes the best of what I've got - so I'd have found grounds for optimism had we stayed up too! :wink:

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Mon May 14, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm stuggling today. I am.

I thought I'd prepared myself and resigned myself to relegation. I hadn't done a good enough job, it seems.

But yes, I am almost excited for next year. Given the oppotunity i'd love to start over on Saturday (or just fast-forward to August).
I genuinly think we have a good start-off squad and with additions SHOULD go well.
I am excited, but just need this week to pass really. I think as soon as Eng are knocked-out of the Euros i'll go into overdrive and will be willing August to arrive.

As i said in my OP on the OUR club thread - We'll be there come August, be it Manchester or Brighton.
I'll be there! COYWM

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon May 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Reading the Nixon twitter he seems absolutely calmly convinced that

pros
1) The debt is a non-issue as Eddie isn't bothered (his club after all)
2) Keep the right players and we'll 'eat the championship'
3) Doesn't think we need to sign more than a couple
4) A few new contracts have already been sorted
5) Doesn't think there'll be much selling going on

cons
6) Holden has a big recovery ahead of him
7) Coyle is staying (that one could go in either column)

Points 1,2,4,5 are cheering me up anyway.
Last edited by Jakerbeef on Mon May 14, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon May 14, 2012 3:31 pm

will probably attend more games next year than i did this year which says a lot about my feeling toward it.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Is Stuey our Owen Hargreaves then

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Fearfully hopeful rather than excited at this stage.

Hopeful we will be strong in that division.

Fearful that many have had that thought in the past, and its not materialised!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon May 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Meh, I'm not looking to throw myself off a bridge, but I want us to be in the Premier League. I was proud of the fact we lasted so long, and wanted to see us continue. I genuinely think we had a good enough side to stay up, and for me it's just frustrating that even the best-case scenario is that it'll be a year until we're back.

It will be interesting, and there are plus points to it, but I'd much rather have won yesterday.

Notakalou
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Notakalou » Mon May 14, 2012 3:57 pm

keveh wrote:I tweeted the following this morning:
After the months of being unsure as to whether we'd survive or not I feel relieved that we now have an outcome and know where we'll be playing next season. It was like a wave of calm came over me and the stress of worrying about the next game has gone.

Being relegated is awful and I would never wanted it to happen to us, however I had already accepted it a few weeks back so yesterdays result was not a shock and didn't send me in to a week of depression (that no doubt is happening to others).

So, rather than dwelling on what has been a truly awful season I am determined to look forward to next season and the positives it could bring. I don't want to be negative regarding the players who may be in the starting line up, I'd rather look at the positives that will come out of this. God knows how long we've all waited to see Sordell play, well next season is his chance to get on the pitch and show us what he's made of, it's about time we had a quick striker!

Next season will hopefully give us a better look at Vela and see if he is capable of holding down a first team position. Although Holden will be back (he won't be going anywhere after this injury) he's going to need resting now and then which will mean Vela stepping up.

I don't know whether it's nostalgia bringing back the memories of when we dominated league 1 or that really I am actually depressed, but I'm looking forward to next season and hope that it's refreshing change and will give us a chance to actually start building a new team.

This thread is for people to post future positivity!

(any negativity will be deleted because I'm not having you bastards bring me down with you!)
Pretty much exactly where I am. I'm disappointed over losing our BPL status and even though I was hopeful of staying up I felt it was going to be a big ask, so I had prepared myself already if we didn't pull it off. I feel more relieved than disappointed, this horrible season is over and we can look forward to building a new squad. After all, its the pain and misery that we have to endure that makes winning feel so good.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Can someone put up a list of our competitors for next season? I keep trying to cut and paste but it doesn't work. Obviously not all are decided yet with the play-offs and all, but there are an awful lot of B's in the list.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Yeah, I'm weirdly happy, possibly because even when scores aligned for us yesterday I didn't allow that murderer hope in. Indeed, as my own half-time tweet said (or would have if HootSuite hadn't eaten it):
The door knocks. It's Bob Hope and Hope Powell: "Will you let us in?" "F*ck off."
I don't exactly have hope for the Championship either, rather a calm confidence that I'll enjoy the season more, that we can clear out the wage-sucking deadwood, that we can attack teams more confidently, that I'll attend more games.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon May 14, 2012 4:10 pm

The only thing which really worries me is the prospect of not going back up straight away. I could easily handle a season of dominant performances, even though we are in a weaker league, and then we go up with a good squad. I'm just worried about all our best players being taken from us and then struggling to find the funds to replace them.

This next few months are going to be as nervy as the previous few. I'm desperate to hold on to the likes of NRC, Ream, Ricketts, Holden, Chungy etc..

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm looking forward to next season already as well, new clubs to play, re building the squad, old out and young in and the fact we have a real chance to come straight back up

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Can someone put up a list of our competitors for next season? I keep trying to cut and paste but it doesn't work. Obviously not all are decided yet with the play-offs and all, but there are an awful lot of B's in the list.
In rough order of odds: Leicester, Leeds, Birmingham, Wolves, Brighton, Blackburn, Cardiff, Wednesday, Boro, Charlton, Burnley, Hull, Ipswich, Forest, Derby, Watford, Bristol C, Miwwaw, Palace, Peterborough, Barnsley. And two others.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2012 4:13 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:I'm desperate to hold on to the likes of NRC, Ream, Ricketts, Holden, Chungy etc..
I'm not really worried that any of those will leave, unless Ricketts wants more than we can give.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Having not followed Bolton through a promotion campaign, I can see the appeal of chasing a “positive goal” (get promoted) as opposed to a “negative goal” (don’t get relegated). We should also win a hell of a lot more games than we have in recent seasons.

My main concern is access to the games. Championship coverage is getting better in the U.S. but it’s still nowhere near the Premier League. I was able to watch almost all of Bolton’s games this season, mostly on foxsoccer.tv or occasionally on ESPN. Foxsoccer.tv has some Championship games but not all of them. I’m going to have to do some research on the best way to watch the games. My hope is that if we keep Lee, Korean TV will still cover Bolton and those games will be streaming online.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Can someone put up a list of our competitors for next season? I keep trying to cut and paste but it doesn't work. Obviously not all are decided yet with the play-offs and all, but there are an awful lot of B's in the list.
In rough order of odds: Leicester, Leeds, Birmingham, Wolves, Brighton, Blackburn, Cardiff, Wednesday, Boro, Charlton, Burnley, Hull, Ipswich, Forest, Derby, Watford, Bristol C, Miwwaw, Palace, Peterborough, Barnsley. And two others.
On paper, tough, daunting...big clubs, almost all.
In reality, in the main a bunch of average teams with past glories who we should be able to overcome if we keep our main line-up and add a bit of grit.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Leicester, Leeds, Birmingham, Wolves, Brighton, Blackburn, Cardiff, Wednesday, Boro, Charlton, Burnley, Hull, Ipswich, Forest, Derby, Watford, Bristol C, Miwwaw, Palace, Peterborough, Barnsley

Some grounds I haven't been to for a while and some I've never been to.

As for Miwwaw, a ground I never want to go to. :)

Cheers DSB

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2012 4:28 pm

The second division is wonderfully, marvellously, unusually unpredictable. A dozen teams could win it, a dozen could go down. Some of those Venn circles overlap. Obviously that's a danger for us, but it makes a lovely change to deciding

1. Which bankrolled w*nkers will win the title
2. Which team will try, and fail, to stop Arsenal coming third
3. Which two teams will be lumped in with the promoted trio as "relegation battlers" from the egg

Stuff yer Superleague.

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Mon May 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Realistically I think we have three seasons to get back in the premier league, it just gets even harder after the first.

I wouldn't think Leeds are too much of a promotion rival as things stand, minds focused off the pitch rather than on. Genuinely sad how close yet so far they are atm.