Coyle on next season....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Coyle on next season....

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 21, 2012 2:56 pm

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1 ... 96,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worth a thread in its own right I think.

Interesting points raised there. As he goes down the squad list you do think "we're strong in several areas". Thankfully he does seem to be prioritising strengthening at centre back.

Perhaps he is slowly but surely learning?

EDIT: And from that he makes it clear that we're looking for two centre backs and a midfield player. Which is right IMO. So I think we can (hopefully) forget any talks of full backs, wingers or strikers for the time being.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Coyle on next season....

Post by Sponge » Mon May 21, 2012 3:01 pm

"We couldn't continue to play 'patch-up' every year and ask for another £10million one year and then another £10million the next.

"The difficulty we had, to change the squad year-by-year, was that all those players were under long-term contracts and on a high salary.

"Because of that, we had 11 players coming to the end of their contract this summer so this year was, as I said, all about making the transition and bringing on our own young players.

"Obviously we wanted that to be on the platform of the club playing in the Barclays Premier League, but all we can do now is pick ourselves up and go again with the core of a young team.

"Within that though we have to find a balance and that is why we signed Kevin Davies and Sam Ricketts on new contracts."

Makes sense to me. (Let's hope he acquires some tactical nous to go with it.)

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 21, 2012 3:03 pm

He mentions Petrov as though he is in the squad next season...is that cut & dried now?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Sponge wrote:
"We couldn't continue to play 'patch-up' every year and ask for another £10million one year and then another £10million the next.

"The difficulty we had, to change the squad year-by-year, was that all those players were under long-term contracts and on a high salary.

"Because of that, we had 11 players coming to the end of their contract this summer so this year was, as I said, all about making the transition and bringing on our own young players.

"Obviously we wanted that to be on the platform of the club playing in the Barclays Premier League, but all we can do now is pick ourselves up and go again with the core of a young team.

"Within that though we have to find a balance and that is why we signed Kevin Davies and Sam Ricketts on new contracts."

Makes sense to me. (Let's hope he acquires some tactical nous to go with it.)
It makes sense, not necessarily against the backdrop of Owens spending thus far though.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon May 21, 2012 3:05 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:He mentions Petrov as though he is in the squad next season...is that cut & dried now?

Apparently, yes.

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Mon May 21, 2012 3:06 pm

a midfielder?WTF?
Saying Moo is out and Choker has fecked off and Holden is still iffy,mavis might be off I'd have thought at least two midfielders are in order. :crazy: Clueless c.unt.
The voices in my head may not be real...but they have some great ideas!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Can we wait til say later than Mid May before criticising who we have & havent bought yet...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Porrohman wrote:a midfielder?WTF?
Saying Moo is out and Choker has fecked off and Holden is still iffy,mavis might be off I'd have thought at least two midfielders are in order. :crazy: Clueless c.unt.
I think clearly from what he says and has said elsewhere you can take it that Mark Davies will not be off anywhere.......

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon May 21, 2012 3:07 pm

"The Championship"

nPower must be gutted
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 21, 2012 3:09 pm

With what we know, I think 1 midfield player and 2 centre halves would be more than adequate to be honest. And I think we'd not need to add anyone else unless we picked up injuries. And given the fact you can loan players outside windows in the championship we could almost do that "on the fly".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 21, 2012 3:17 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:He mentions Petrov as though he is in the squad next season...is that cut & dried now?
If he played more than 30 games last season then his contract was automatically extended.

He did and therefore it was. So he is under contract automatically. Whether he is happy about that or not who knows? But unless we sell him he's here.

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Mon May 21, 2012 3:38 pm

:roll:

He's got alot to own up to Coyle but this aint one of em. He's done well cutting the wages to a reasonable size to stay solvent whilst still (hopefully) remaining competitive. He can't just go splash out on what if's. I imagine IF any others leave (I.E Mark Davies) he'll trt bring in a like for like replacement, similar to what he seems to be doing with NRC and in reaction to Wheaters injury.
Last edited by wanderers_on_tour on Mon May 21, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon May 21, 2012 3:51 pm

He's always talked a good game...
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

Post by m_taylor » Mon May 21, 2012 3:58 pm

His tactics can sometimes be wrong but I do like Coyle. We have a good, young team next year. I think a lot of the mistakes made this season were down to Inexperience (Mark Davies not following runner for example) I think we all know we need a strong demanding center back and a holding midfield which Coyle says he would like 'to add bodies' too.

I am quite excited about next season. I think we will all enjoy it better and I think the Football will be a lot better. Of course we are still going to make mistake and lose matches but that Football and having a young team that’s always going happen but it might just all click when Holden gets back in the mix.

COYW and come on Coyle don't prove me wrong. (cue hate messages) :|

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon May 21, 2012 4:21 pm

At this moment in time we only need 1 extra man in midfield.. if mavies was to leave or Holden didn't get fit then he would obviously get another in to fill the void.. FFS people will take any opportunity to have a dig.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 pm

Yeah the most interesting bit being that of who he is trying to sign/strengthen...and talking about keeping Jussi as well. I'd save on wage myself if the young 'uns are any good. Having said that you could bet boggers would get injured if we did that.

He talks about Alonso like he is good and also here next year. I assumed neither - when is his court date? Ricketts has been signed up to play left back.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 21, 2012 5:15 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Can we wait til say later than Mid May before criticising who we have & havent bought yet...
I'm not actually all that concerned about who we bring in. I'm concerned about Coyle himself. Goals were flying past Cahill when he was in our team, now he’s a Champions League winner. Problem #1 is the tactics, not the personnel.

courtliff_bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by courtliff_bwfc » Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

We HAVE to add at least one striker. If anyone of the current 3 get injured we would already be down to the bare bones a striker is just as vital as another centre mid.

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Mon May 21, 2012 5:32 pm

officer_dibble wrote:He talks about Alonso like he is good and also here next year. I assumed neither - when is his court date? Ricketts has been signed up to play left back.
No idea but he's on holiday in Vegas atm (which doesn't really answer anything...)

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:39 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:He's always talked a good game...
eh ?

that's the 2nd worst thing he's worst at. [ *reads* notices it might be grammatically wrong. presses submit.]