Players you wished we'd kept

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Players you wished we'd kept

Post by jaffka » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Yes, that's right. We should have forced another club to pay an extortionate amount of money. We should do that now with the players we don't want.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Except he was an England international who people did want. Arsenal were after him, City were after him but pulled out. In our position, without big money, once you know a good player is going (and we knew for a while we couldn't keep him) you need to get what you can. We can't afford to let good assets go for nothing.

Once he only had six months left we were left trying to get what we could. We gambled on the £8m hoping it would be better than nothing. With hindsight, we should've either sold him the summer before, or kept him until the end and (IMO) have stayed up.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Could do with a few characters of the likes of Ivan Campo, Stelios, Diouf and Ricky Gardner in today's sides.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:Except he was an England international who people did want. Arsenal were after him, City were after him but pulled out. In our position, without big money, once you know a good player is going (and we knew for a while we couldn't keep him) you need to get what you can. We can't afford to let good assets go for nothing.
:conf: Isn't that what we did?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:28 pm

He's bonkers.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:02 pm

I had a very very very soft spot for Klasnic the fxckin big one kidneyed lump. We pensioned him off far too early.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I had a very very very soft spot for Klasnic the fxckin big one kidneyed lump. We pensioned him off far too early.
I suspect you're not the only one... one of those players who became almost an instant club legend...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:39 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Except he was an England international who people did want. Arsenal were after him, City were after him but pulled out. In our position, without big money, once you know a good player is going (and we knew for a while we couldn't keep him) you need to get what you can. We can't afford to let good assets go for nothing.
:conf: Isn't that what we did?
No. Selling someone six months before their contact runs out doesn't usually get you the best you could.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:07 pm

We were never going to get him to sign an extention. He had ambitions we'd never let him fulfill ... & hey, he's an England regular, a Champions League winner and a Premiership winner so he was sort of right.

12 months before his contract ran out we looked like selling him to Citeh for I think £14m but they backed out. Are were interested but thought they could get him for about £7m. We said "no".

That Chelsea paid £7m in the January was extraordinary in the circumstances. Commercially at least. They ... and he ... could have sat on their hands for 5 months & got him for nowt.

I do think it's unlikely that we wouldn't have got at least one point with him here ..
& we did go down on goal difference. That is just theory, but we used his money on Ream (who was OK, but only that) and Marvin fckg Sordell who never got on the pitch ... not once ... that season (which STILL needs explaining).

That did cost us more than the £7m in the end. But we went down due to Coyle's inept tactics. They cost us more than Cahill leaving.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:19 pm

Cahill would've BURIED that fecking header that Ream missed at Stoke!

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:44 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Cahill would've BURIED that fecking header that Ream missed at Stoke!
That's all well and good, but who's to say young Gary wouldn't have gone near post instead of far?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:00 am

bobo the clown wrote:We were never going to get him to sign an extention. He had ambitions we'd never let him fulfill ... & hey, he's an England regular, a Champions League winner and a Premiership winner so he was sort of right.
Indeed, he's won the full set of major-trophy medals – League, Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Europa League – in the shortest time ever.
http://www.caughtoffside.com/2015/05/29 ... -trophies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do think City missed a trick, though. Mangala's looking OK this season but if they thought Cahill wasn't up to it, they called it wrong.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:We were never going to get him to sign an extention. He had ambitions we'd never let him fulfill ... & hey, he's an England regular, a Champions League winner and a Premiership winner so he was sort of right.
Indeed, he's won the full set of major-trophy medals – League, Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Europa League – in the shortest time ever.
http://www.caughtoffside.com/2015/05/29 ... -trophies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do think City missed a trick, though. Mangala's looking OK this season but if they thought Cahill wasn't up to it, they called it wrong.
That's fxcken amazing... I didn't know that! That increases my respect for the man no-end
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Don McAlister. Only 'cos he lived across the road from my gran and used to pay us over the odds for cleaning his car.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:08 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

That's fxcken amazing... I didn't know that! That increases my respect for the man no-end

He's also rejuvenated John Terry
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:03 am

Little "claim to fame".
I used to be a teacher, and Gaz Caz was in one of the classes I taught.

Players I wish we'd have kept - Borgetti. I can't believe (Wiki alert) we only played him for 19 games. Some may disagree, but I'm not sure we gave him a proper go.
Mind you (Wiki alert), he didn't stay at any of his subsequent seven (!) clubs for more than 27 games, so maybe I'm over-rating him. His scoring record for Mexico is pretty decent though, but maybe he had the chance to be a flat-track bully against the likes of Belize and Costa Rica (Paolo Cesar Wanchope Watson notwithstanding).

Also, have noted Blerim Dzemaili (permacrock with us IIRC) and Lubo Michalik as squad regulars in fairly decently-performing national teams.

Now then, help me out with a name. He was a bloke who I think we had on loan from MASSIVE Citeh. He was maybe Czech? Quite short. Tricky feet, but rubbish final ball. Not saying we should have kept him, but it's just bugging me I can't remember his name.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:11 am

Winter Hill White wrote:
Now then, help me out with a name. He was a bloke who I think we had on loan from MASSIVE Citeh. He was maybe Czech? Quite short. Tricky feet, but rubbish final ball. Not saying we should have kept him, but it's just bugging me I can't remember his name.
Vladimir Weiss ?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:16 am

That's the badger.
And in fact, I think he's Slovak rather than Czech.
Sorry, Impaler.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:40 am

Now playing in Qatar (aged 25), Slovakia international Vladimir Weiss is the son of former Slovakia and Czechoslovakia international Vladimir Weiss, who is the son of former Czechoslovakia international Vladimir Weiss.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:48 am

So what was Vladimir Weiss' dad called?