Season expectations

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Season expectations

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:28 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Anything other than promotion would be a complete and utter shambolic failure though!
seriously - who do you think we are? you sound like a Gooner - as if success is our divine right... thing is, in the Championship this year, there will be other teams competing.
Point being we have a group of players that are on the whole above this level. You might not like it. Even Coyle's best mate Nixon was saying we should win the championship by some way given our group of players, before he locked his tweets. He's not even hedging his bets to protect his mate.

No excuses with the set of players we've got.

You go into a season assessing what you've got and what that should achieve against the other sides in your league.

Nothing about divine right, or what we deserve or owt like that. We'll have to work hard, be well organised and the right decisions will need to be made. But that doesn't take away from the fact that last season we finished above every single team in the league we'll be competing in. And we did that without Holden, and LCY. We've lost a few and added a few.

Similar position to what West Ham were in last season. Their manager said all along that anything other than promotion would be a total disaster.

Don't see why we're in any different position.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Anything other than promotion would be a complete and utter shambolic failure though!
seriously - who do you think we are? you sound like a Gooner - as if success is our divine right... thing is, in the Championship this year, there will be other teams competing.
Point being we have a group of players that are on the whole above this level.
I thought you said (about these players last season) that they were pretty shoite, lightweight and (mostly) well below premiership standard - that Coyle had bought badly.

how are you measuring your assertion that these players are "on the whole above this level"?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
I thought you said (about these players last season) that they were pretty shoite, lightweight and (mostly) well below premiership standard - that Coyle had bought badly.

how are you measuring your assertion that these players are "on the whole above this level"?
I think you'll find that I said we should have stayed up last season, even with the injuries to Holden, LCY etc and that we were mismanaged.

Even with the completely shambolic mismanagement through most of last season we still came within an inch of being a premiership side again.

Take the fact we've gone down a level, added LCY back in and Holden at some point hopefully, and kept the majority of players we'd expect and even a few we wouldn't, then I think you'd have strong grounds for saying promotion is the minimum you'd expect.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:44 pm

we're going into this with arguably a better (including stuey here) starting 11 than last season where in the end we were pretty unlucky to go down. I reckon we can bounce back and I really hope we do because if we dont its gonna be a hell of a lot harder next time

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:52 pm

domed .... we're fecn' domed.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Jez wrote:we're going into this with arguably a better (including stuey here) starting 11 than last season where in the end we were pretty unlucky to go down. I reckon we can bounce back and I really hope we do because if we dont its gonna be a hell of a lot harder next time
I'm not sure about that..

Cahill, Steinsson, Jussi, Reo Coker are better than Mills, Mears, Bogdan and Andrews (Imho opinion)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Zat's in the BN saying 'We can do it!'

So that's that then.

thread locked.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Ability wise I expect us to nob it.

I dont think we will.

But anything other than promotion is either bad management or very bad luck. Mid table or less in October and I'd change the management team.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:18 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Jez wrote:we're going into this with arguably a better (including stuey here) starting 11 than last season where in the end we were pretty unlucky to go down. I reckon we can bounce back and I really hope we do because if we dont its gonna be a hell of a lot harder next time
I'm not sure about that..

Cahill, Steinsson, Jussi, Reo Coker are better than Mills, Mears, Bogdan and Andrews (Imho opinion)
Equally the team that finished the season at Stoke (and was our second half of the season performance not better than our first?) only had Boyata, Reo Coker and Klasnic in who have left. Andrews comes in for NRC, Mears for Boyata, Sordell for Klasnic......and then of those still here LCY for Eagles, Mills for Knight maybe, possibly Holden for Mark Davies when fit....

I think on balance its hard to argue that we're signifcantly worse than the team that ended the season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

I think you'll find that I said we should have stayed up last season, even with the injuries to Holden, LCY etc and that we were mismanaged.

Even with the completely shambolic mismanagement through most of last season we still came within an inch of being a premiership side again.

Take the fact we've gone down a level, added LCY back in and Holden at some point hopefully, and kept the majority of players we'd expect and even a few we wouldn't, then I think you'd have strong grounds for saying promotion is the minimum you'd expect.
I'm with you on this one BWFCI. We don't have any "rights" to be in the Prem, nor would I assert any, but I would view not getting up at the first attempt as a failure - unsurprisingly on the Manager's part.

He has the budget, he has players capable of playing at a higher level, albeit I think this squad now isn't as good as the one that got relegated. The counterbalance to that is that the teams we will be playing against generally aren't as good as the teams we played last season either.

No rights, only the possibility of failure or success. I will, in case anyones missed it, be on the feckers case if we're looking shite by the end of Sept. There will be no fecking bedsheet large enough to encompass my mispeled wrath if we get off to a bad start.

beer_swiller
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by beer_swiller » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Get off to a bad start and the knives will be out.

As it stands, the squad looks good enough to get back to the Prem. There will be ups and down like alway`s but I would say at least a play off place.
Denn

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Coyle needs to bring in another decent striker otherwise I think that we may struggle to score enough goals to earn promotion.

If he plans to make any other key signings, then I think a good proven striker is a must

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Coyle needs to bring in another decent striker otherwise I think that we may struggle to score enough goals to earn promotion.

If he plans to make any other key signings, then I think a good proven striker is a must
Who would you class as a proven striker? Cos I'm betting we'd struggle to afford them, as would most championship clubs.

We have Sordell, who is a proven goalscorer at this level. Have to hope NGog comes good to an extent at what is more his level.

I agree we need another, but I'm certain we won't be getting a first team regular striker barring some sort of a loan deal type shocker.......

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Whoever he signs, they're bound to be a shocker alright.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:49 pm

bobo the clown wrote:domed .... we're fecn' domed.

Aah, the soothing voice of reason.

Theres way too much hope triumphing over experience on here for my liking.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:00 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Whoever he signs, they're bound to be a shocker alright.
Except Michael Owen.

Who's definitely joining us, we all know.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Puskas wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Whoever he signs, they're bound to be a shocker alright.
Except Michael Owen.

Who's definitely joining us, we all know.
some other cricketer (probably ronnie irani) sez he's (coyle is) loaning andrew carroll.

i think i'm making that up though.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Are you 2399's brother?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm

no..

but i'll be all pmsl if it comes true.

i expect it to be all over twitter in an hour.

:/

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:30 pm

:D
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.