Season expectations

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonfan93
Hopeful
Hopeful

Season expectations

Post by boltonfan93 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:29 am

Hey guys new to the forum was reading this article about what to expect from the clubs coming down

http://www.football-lad.com/the-teams-c ... to-expect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The guy is not a big fan of Steve Kean :P But he seems to think that we will do pretty well in the upcoming season, says our signing are decent for this level and I agree I think the core of our squad is very strong and with Owen Coyle's experience we should do well. What do you guys think, do you agree with him?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Season expectations

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:37 am

boltonfan93 wrote:Hey guys new to the forum was reading this article about what to expect from the clubs coming down

http://www.football-lad.com/the-teams-c ... to-expect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The guy is not a big fan of Steve Kean :P But he seems to think that we will do pretty well in the upcoming season, says our signing are decent for this level and I agree I think the core of our squad is very strong and with Owen Coyle's experience we should do well. What do you guys think, do you agree with him?
True but I remember thinking we had a good squad for the prem last preseason! The squad is probably good enough to get us back up ,certainly at least in the playoff places. It's really a question of how much coyles crazy decision making and tactics get in the way.He did have moments of clarity last season though so who knows and of course the cavalry charge strategy when we're in need of a goal may be less damaging at this level than it was last year

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:38 am

boltonfan93 wrote:Hey guys new to the forum was reading this article about what to expect from the clubs coming down

Your first post and you link to an off site blog, be honest are you really a bolton fan or the guy who wrote the article?

boltonfan93
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by boltonfan93 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:12 pm

jaffka wrote:

Your first post and you link to an off site blog, be honest are you really a bolton fan or the guy who wrote the article?
The writer is a friend of mine

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Expectations? Third and a play off victory at Wembley would be my preferred option and also what I think we'll actually achieve.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:13 pm

boltonfan93 wrote:
jaffka wrote:

The writer is a friend of mine
Why dont you introduce yourself in the correct area then, so we can all get to know you.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:59 pm

I'm really optimistic about this season. The only real loss for me in the transfer window has been Reo-Coker, who I think we've already replaced well by bringing in Andrews. I was really impressed with him during the Euros and even though skeptics which say "But Ireland did awful", well, yeah, they did, but Andrews was their stand out performer for me and if everyone was as good as him, they wouldn't have done so poorly. I'm confident that our squad next year will be as good as it was last year, and probably even better if we can get hold of Sanchez and both Chungy and Holden return to good form.

Aside from that, I do rate Coyle as a manager. I think he's the sort of manager who thrives when things are going his way but his inexperience cost him when things were tough. That's fine, plenty of managers have a hard time coping when things are not going their way but being a manager, like anything in life, is a learning experience and Coyle will have benefited from last years woes. I'm not part of the 'Coyle out' campaign at all and I do hope, and think, he'll be at the club for a long time. I want him to become synonymous with the club in the same way that you immediately associate Ferguson with United or Wenger with Arsenal. I know we're a long way off that now, but I do believe he's got a lot of potential and I'm sure he'll thrive in the Championship again which is the first step.

I think we showed we're superior to Blackburn and Wolves last year and will be better than them again this year. Wolves especially are a team who will be up there at the top of the league, so if we are above them, I think we'll be in line for automatic promotion. That's what I hope for and I think it's a realistic target. We have an excellent starting 11, one which could easily fit in the Premier League, and a squad which is very good for the Championship, so I expect us to do well. As a Bolton fan, you can never be too optimistic but I do genuinely think we have the potential to win the league. I can't see anything less than the play-off spots and I think to suggest such is being unrealistically negative.

Overall, I just hope we can play some good football, win plenty of games and return to the top flight straight away. I think that's a realistic hope too.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:59 pm

No half measures this year. It'll either be a triumphant tour de force for Owen Coyle and his men or utter ignominy and relegation.

All depends on how we start I think. A win at Burnley and like the win at QPR set the tone for the Million Goals Season then we'll be fine.

However much I've backed Coyle (albeit due to the fact that if he goes Phil Numbskull would just sign another chump) I'm not giving him any excuses this year.

He either gets it right or he gets tae F.

Booze for Coyle!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:19 pm

clear at the top by 62 points. in front of a second placed , oh , i dunno, blackburn.

200+ goals

not even joking.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:07 pm

7th just missing out on the play offs. The following season will be make or break - do we make it back or go into a long slow Coventry type decline
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Too much happiness on this thread. We're feckin domed.

RedStarBelgrade
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by RedStarBelgrade » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:14 am

I don't know,when it comes to us,it's always tougher than we expect. A lot of people see us in the PL for 13/14,but we are perfect for messing things up :D

Now really...we have a good team,I only regret for Klasnic and maybe NRC (and of course Zat Knight staying -.-),but it's a nice squad,and I can't see a more quality team at the moment. Indeed,Rovers did well in this transfer period,but it's hard to imagine Steve Keane winning.

I predict playoffs,hoping for the best possible scenario after that.
We'll be back!

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:29 am

I don't think we'll complete the season.

Lose our first five on the trot. Bottom of the league. Eddie Davies pulls the plug. Club wound up.

Restart next season as newco/sevco/SebCoe(sponsored by Olympus...) AFC Bolton. Play on one of those pitches at Thornleigh that folks were moaning about. In the Stolen From Ivor League Division 2 (Northwest). With Coyle still as manager.

Alternatively, none of that may happen, and the season will go really badly...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:47 am

We don't need a good manager to get us up, a distinctly average or even a poor manager with this group of players would have a decent chance of promotion.

My only fear is that Coyle is much much worse than that.

He's talked a little bit of sense this pre-season though, so maybe he's learned, we'll see.

Anything other than promotion would be a complete and utter shambolic failure though!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 am

Puskas wrote:I don't think we'll complete the season.

Lose our first five on the trot. Bottom of the league. Eddie Davies pulls the plug. Club wound up.

Restart next season as newco/sevco/SebCoe(sponsored by Olympus...) AFC Bolton. Play on one of those pitches at Thornleigh that folks were moaning about. In the Stolen From Ivor League Division 2 (Northwest). With Coyle still as manager.

Alternatively, none of that may happen, and the season will go really badly...
Rose Tinters again.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:05 am

I'll plump for a bad start cos too many of our players still think they're fancy-dan PL players.
Then they'll wake up and start to dig in a bit and we'll have a late surge that'll see us into 5th or 6th.
That's what i expect to happen , hopefully a few good times along the way, maybe even some home wins !

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: Anything other than promotion would be a complete and utter shambolic failure though!
seriously - who do you think we are? you sound like a Gooner - as if success is our divine right... thing is, in the Championship this year, there will be other teams competing.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:13 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:I'll plump for a bad start cos too many of our players still think they're fancy-dan PL players.
Then they'll wake up and start to dig in a bit and we'll have a late surge that'll see us into 5th or 6th.
That's what i expect to happen , hopefully a few good times along the way, maybe even some home wins !
You mean like they did last season after NRC issued 'wake up call' after 'wake up call' to his 'fellow Wanderers'.

I can see how that would work.

I think we may have the thickest group of players in an industry not popular with great thinkers.

I'm fairly sure Mark Davies counts by stamping his foot.

If we start badly I don't think Jesus Christ himself will be able to help us.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:13 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Anything other than promotion would be a complete and utter shambolic failure though!
seriously - who do you think we are? you sound like a Gooner - as if success is our divine right... thing is, in the Championship this year, there will be other teams competing.
Oi! :evil:

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:24 am

coffeymagic wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:I'll plump for a bad start cos too many of our players still think they're fancy-dan PL players.
You mean like they did last season after NRC issued 'wake up call' after 'wake up call' to his 'fellow Wanderers'.

I can see how that would work.

I think we may have the thickest group of players in an industry not popular with great thinkers.

I'm fairly sure Mark Davies counts by stamping his foot.

If we start badly I don't think Jesus Christ himself will be able to help us.
Hows about Jesus Sanchez?