mark davies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: mark davies

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:32 pm

boltonboris wrote:Boro was crazy money don't they? Like £7-8 million kinda crazy.

(Not seen muc of him to be honest, but that's probably even crazier than us wanting £8m for Davies)
If we got a player with the all round abilities of Williams( can tackle run head pass work hard for 90 mins etc) for the price we sell stumpy for( can run with the ball and pass it short) I'd be pretty pleased. If we play 442 a williams type player would be far more effective than Mavis and would also offer cover in other areas should it be necessary.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 am

am mildly surprised that MD led our passing stats .. but only mildly when i remember his competition in our midfield included Reo-One touch out for a throw in Coker and Martin one touch then whip a delicious looking cross into the penalty area with no-one within 25 yards Petrov
still prefer to use the evidence of my own eyes to stats though- Mark Davies has flitting and ultimately inconsequential impacts on games.
sell
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm still for keeping him provided we play the system which best suits him, which incidentally seemed to be the system which provided our best run of results and performances. I'd say going forward our biggest problem last season was chance creation much more than it was chance conversion, and without Mark Davies there is very little created through the middle, with most of what we did create coming from wide areas and we didn't seem that great at making the most of those. Don't sell.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:50 pm

I'd keep him - hes a premiership standard player - why sell good players ??? Coyle would only replace him with dross.
As for our biggest problem last season - surely the 78 goals we conceded tells a story

We have a route back to the premier league - Sordell and Obi Wan Kanobe
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

silversurfer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by silversurfer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 am

As a Swansea supporter im at impasse.. i think that MD would be a great addition to our squad and fill the void left by joe allen, but i would hate to see your side weakened in any way since i know how tough the championship is to get out of, and personally i would love to see Bolton back up in the prem

So kick ass and have fun and hopefully you will be back up where you belong

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:27 am

We "belong" here mate. This season at least, because we weren't good enough last term. But I enjoyed your sentiments nonetheless. So thanks!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:15 pm

silversurfer wrote:As a Swansea supporter im at impasse.. i think that MD would be a great addition to our squad and fill the void left by joe allen, but i would hate to see your side weakened in any way since i know how tough the championship is to get out of, and personally i would love to see Bolton back up in the prem

So kick ass and have fun and hopefully you will be back up where you belong
Nice sentiments mate and thanks for that but to be honest, I'm happier in the Championship where we actually have a chance of winning a match, rather than going to OT/City/Chelsea thinking "What's the point"??

I hope you have a good season and don't suffer the loss of your manager too much. The second season is always a real test and expectation from your fans will be high. I have to say that when you lot sang 'Land of my fathers' when you stuffed us royally last season, it sent a shiver down my spine. The support at your place is fantastic.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Swansea
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Swansea » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:01 am

Hi, another Swansea City fan here. Would really like it if we signed Davies, think he'd fit our system well and be an ideal replacement for Joe Allen. However, I don't think we'll spend anything more than £6.5 million on him as financially we try to get the best value for money and if he would cost £7 million or more then he just wouldn't be worth it.

I think at Bolton he hasn't been put in his ideal role often enough, he doesn't fit a 4-4-2 flat formation and his qualities aren't the ones that are neccesarily needed for your style of player. At Swansea, he'd be played in a more natural role with a style of play and formation that would get the best out of him and he would be bound to come on as a player and prove his worth.

This hasn't been posted on this link yet, which states that bid we had rejected was infact £4 million and it seems Coyle wants £8 million. Meet in the middle and i'm happy with that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18917104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bijou Bob wrote:Nice sentiments mate and thanks for that but to be honest, I'm happier in the Championship where we actually have a chance of winning a match, rather than going to OT/City/Chelsea thinking "What's the point"??

I hope you have a good season and don't suffer the loss of your manager too much. The second season is always a real test and expectation from your fans will be high. I have to say that when you lot sang 'Land of my fathers' when you stuffed us royally last season, it sent a shiver down my spine. The support at your place is fantastic.
It's actually 'Hymes and Arias', 'Land of my fathers' is the national anthem but in fairness to you they are the only four English words sung in the song. We do sign it well, but it's a song that everyone knows and it seems to be fairly easy to lift the roof of with that song. It's naturally sung loud but it sends shivers down my spine every time I sing it.

Went to the Reebok last season, and although the atmosphere wasn't the best it is suprisingly a very nice looking stadium from the outside and the inside. Definatly one of the better grounds to go to in the Championship next season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:05 am

Swansea wrote:Hi, another Swansea City fan here. Would really like it if we signed Davies, think he'd fit our system well and be an ideal replacement for Joe Allen. However, I don't think we'll spend anything more than £6.5 million on him as financially we try to get the best value for money and if he would cost £7 million or more then he just wouldn't be worth it.

I think at Bolton he hasn't been put in his ideal role often enough, he doesn't fit a 4-4-2 flat formation and his qualities aren't the ones that are neccesarily needed for your style of player. At Swansea, he'd be played in a more natural role with a style of play and formation that would get the best out of him and he would be bound to come on as a player and prove his worth.

This hasn't been posted on this link yet, which states that bid we had rejected was infact £4 million and it seems Coyle wants £8 million. Meet in the middle and i'm happy with that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18917104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bijou Bob wrote:Nice sentiments mate and thanks for that but to be honest, I'm happier in the Championship where we actually have a chance of winning a match, rather than going to OT/City/Chelsea thinking "What's the point"??

It's actually 'Hymes and Arias', 'Land of my fathers' is the national anthem but in fairness to you they are the only four English words sung in the song. We do sign it well, but it's a song that everyone knows and it seems to be fairly easy to lift the roof of with that song. It's naturally sung loud but it sends shivers down my spine every time I sing it.

Went to the Reebok last season, and although the atmosphere wasn't the best it is suprisingly a very nice looking stadium from the outside and the inside. Definatly one of the better grounds to go to in the Championship next season.
The asking price is £10M according to Coyle's press buddy. Which means the asking price is £10M.

You are right that he is not worth that. But it seems Coyle doesn't want to sell him.

Swansea
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Swansea » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:18 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our offer increased to £6 million, can't see us going much higher than that for him.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:23 pm

So your boss thinks he is worth 2/5ths Joe Allen then? I think it needs to bump up a bit...Mar Davies has 3 sesons prem experience, albeit not in tge team much the first two.

Swansea
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Swansea » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:So your boss thinks he is worth 2/5ths Joe Allen then? I think it needs to bump up a bit...Mar Davies has 3 sesons prem experience, albeit not in tge team much the first two.
Well we're not going to overpay just because Liverpool overpaid for Joe Allen. We're a well run club and aren't going to throw a few million away just because we have the money to do it, we're going to have more targets than just Mark Davies lined up anyway.

If we can't get Davies for around £6 million, then we can look elsewhere.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Coyle and Gartside both reiterated tonight that he's not for sale and that Swansea are simply trying to bank 10 or so million from the sale of Allen AND replace him with a player who's just as good.

Coyle also said that Davies has expressed his desire to him not to sell him to Swansea.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Aye. Fair play!
we paid £9mil for elmander a couple of seasons after paying £8m for anelka...everyone wastes cash at some point...the difference being only a few can afford to waste cash.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Swansea wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:So your boss thinks he is worth 2/5ths Joe Allen then? I think it needs to bump up a bit...Mar Davies has 3 sesons prem experience, albeit not in tge team much the first two.
Well we're not going to overpay just because Liverpool overpaid for Joe Allen. We're a well run club and aren't going to throw a few million away just because we have the money to do it, we're going to have more targets than just Mark Davies lined up anyway.

I see your point about overpaying, but when do we start to see those prices as being the standard? We've seen Carroll go for £35m, Henderson go for £16m, Rodwell go for £15m, Downing go for £20m, Milner go for £24m, Allen go for £15m and then you have proposed transfers like Fletcher for £12m and Jarvis for £10m being rejected because the fee isn't enough. The entire market is inflated right now.

At this stage, I think the prices have become so inflated in recent years that this has become the standard. I agree Davies isn't 'worth' £10m but in this inflated market, we'd be foolish to sell for any less. If we have a good season and get promoted, and Davies is one of our best players, his value will be around £15m easily.

Swansea
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Swansea » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:54 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:
Swansea wrote:

I see your point about overpaying, but when do we start to see those prices as being the standard? We've seen Carroll go for £35m, Henderson go for £16m, Rodwell go for £15m, Downing go for £20m, Milner go for £24m, Allen go for £15m and then you have proposed transfers like Fletcher for £12m and Jarvis for £10m being rejected because the fee isn't enough. The entire market is inflated right now.

At this stage, I think the prices have become so inflated in recent years that this has become the standard. I agree Davies isn't 'worth' £10m but in this inflated market, we'd be foolish to sell for any less. If we have a good season and get promoted, and Davies is one of our best players, his value will be around £15m easily.
Well they are the standard right now for British players, but we're not going to pay the standard, as that isn't value for money. We have the option of spending money on the continent instead and whilst Laudrup has made it clear he would like to sign someone British and someone who's played in the division and proven they can do it in the Premier League it would have to be for the right deal.

Last summer we were after Lee Camp to replace Dorus De Vries, Forest rejected £3 million, in the end we signed Michel Vorm for just £1.5 million. We'll do the same and look in Spain if we have to, we're actually closing in on a deal to sign Pablo Hernandez from Valencia for 5-6 million euros and signed Michu for £2 million so that's the sort of value we can get out in Spain and Davies for £8 million plus just aint going to happen.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:58 am

Swansea wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
Swansea wrote:

Well they are the standard right now for British players, but we're not going to pay the standard, as that isn't value for money. We have the option of spending money on the continent instead and whilst Laudrup has made it clear he would like to sign someone British and someone who's played in the division and proven they can do it in the Premier League it would have to be for the right deal.

Last summer we were after Lee Camp to replace Dorus De Vries, Forest rejected £3 million, in the end we signed Michel Vorm for just £1.5 million. We'll do the same and look in Spain if we have to, we're actually closing in on a deal to sign Pablo Hernandez from Valencia for 5-6 million euros and signed Michu for £2 million so that's the sort of value we can get out in Spain and Davies for £8 million plus just aint going to happen.
There was a fans forum yesterday evening fella. Owen Coyle and Gartside answering questions. Mark Davies was asked about, and Coyle told us you had made a new bid but it had been rejected with the words "not for sale".

Coyle said about 19 times that Davies is "not for sale". And somebody asked "what if we sell him for 8M" Coyle's reply was "we won't".

Gartside did add "clearly if someone wants to offer us what we would see as a silly price it might be different, but we can't see that happening".

Coyle also said Mark Davies had a conversation with him and said he didn't want to be sold.

I doubt based on all that you will be signing him.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:17 am

His words were apparently that he "Didn't want to be sold to Swansea"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:23 am

boltonboris wrote:His words were apparently that he "Didn't want to be sold to Swansea"
Can't say I heard that precisely, but along those lines.

Think undercurrent was, Davies wasn't fussed about Swansea, whereas a Liverpool or equivalent might be different.....

Swansea
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Swansea » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:His words were apparently that he "Didn't want to be sold to Swansea"
Can't say I heard that precisely, but along those lines.

Think undercurrent was, Davies wasn't fussed about Swansea, whereas a Liverpool or equivalent might be different.....
I'm suprised by this, I know we're not a massive club but he would suit our style of play down to the bone, I don't see why he'd prefer to play in a position that doesn't suit him, in a formation that doesn't suit him with a style of play that doesn't suit him in a lower division.