Trotters pics

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Trotters pics

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:32 am

Quite a lot in this of interest to we oldies ... but note especially the 3rd match in, BWDC away at Deepdale.

http://youtu.be/xKeqi_0g4xc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:06 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I know there's a Wanderers Photo's thread, just couldn't find it.
Found and tidied :D
Peter Thompson wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Image
.... a mate sent me this. No Normid, yet no sleepers & shale. Which dates it in a range. Plus that LOOKS like Jim McDonagh in goal.

Lovely day. Very thin 'away supporters' numbers & can't see any colours on them.
Got me stumped that. No segregation if that shows the away end, or it was narrower than I remember if it was taken from in the visitors bit. It could well be McDonagh but then it looks like one of the spectators is wearing a bowler hat (odd hairstyle, clockwork orange fan?)
That picture doesn't show the true extent of the embankment, it was huge the photo only shows the bottom half
TANGODANCER wrote:The pic is probably pre 1975 because that's when Magees ( sign on the stand roof) got taken over by Greenhall Whitley, although I don't know when the sign disappeared. I saved the image and blew it up a bit and the "bowler hat", I think is a trilby. We played in all white socks from 1966-1962 so that doesan't help but we played with a stripe down the shorts ( which the keeper looks to have) from 1976 onwards. Bad day on the embankment but the stand looks pretty full. The embankment part where Normid was, was sold in 1986 so I guess the pic was pre that. Maybe the old commentary box on the roof of the stand is a clue. Not sure when that ceased to be?
Google Image search is your friend: drop a pic on it, it will find it on the internet.

This seems to belong to thesaturdayman.com, which seems a pleasant place to ponder the past. For this pic it says February 1967; the only home games that month were Ipswich (Sat 11th, 1-1, Div 2, attendance 12,565) and Arsenal (Sat 18th, 0-0, FA Cup 4th Round, attendance 31,870). Sadly 11v11.com doesn't have the Wanderers lineups.

It also says the pic is PA but I have a login for their library and it's not there. However, from what Burnden pics it has, I can see that the tiny TV gantry was there in July 1970, gone by January 1974 (unless they relocated either it or the clock, which I can't imagine). Can't find any pics of the Manny Road Stand roof between 1974 and 1997 but I would have thought the bigger 'Higson' gantry was erected for the end-of-70s top-flight seasons.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: Maybe the old commentary box on the roof of the stand is a clue.
Now then, I remember this. The TV box was erected on the Manny Road roof ahead of us playing West Brom in 75/76. We were on MotD for the first time in my life. There was a big white clock there before that
Good knowledge. I can confirm from other pics that there was a smaller box there in the late 60s, which had disappeared by '74.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:48 pm

I never saw Burnden like this, wow!

The fashion doesn't seem a million miles away from now, although it's hard to tell in a small photo. The ground itself looks like a lower league club now... York's ground will be smaller and not as curvy, but it looks similar to that photo.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: Maybe the old commentary box on the roof of the stand is a clue.
Now then, I remember this. The TV box was erected on the Manny Road roof ahead of us playing West Brom in 75/76. We were on MotD for the first time in my life. There was a big white clock there before that
Good knowledge. I can confirm from other pics that there was a smaller box there in the late 60s, which had disappeared by '74.
Well I didn't know that!

Started going in the TV-boxless 74. Now I look at it though, that one's much smaller than the one I/we knew..
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well I didn't know that!

Started going in the TV-boxless 74. Now I look at it though, that one's much smaller than the one I/we knew..
it might just be you that's bigger?? or it's further away?? :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:09 pm

I love this pic...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:13 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well I didn't know that!

it might just be you that's bigger?? or it's further away?? :wink:
Absolute twaddle. :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:14 pm

thebish wrote:I love this pic...

Is that from that old film?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:I love this pic...

Is that from that old film?
dunno! it's on the stadium guide page:

http://www.stadiumguide.com/burndenpark/

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:29 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:That picture doesn't show the true extent of the embankment, it was huge the photo only shows the bottom half
aye...

this older photo gives a better impression of the depth...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:48 pm

See. A veritable camera gallery by comparison :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:49 pm

Can someone make that a bit smaller please? :oops:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:54 pm

That big immobile lump in the middle of the shot. Is that Wheater or Trotter? It's a bit out of focus for me, (Mind I had to put it on a 76" Screen to see half of it)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Can someone make that a bit smaller please? :oops:
Done.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:59 am

Here’s the original TV gantry – which had existed since at least 1958, from the pics I can find – and clock behind the squad line-up for the 1970/71 season. It turned out to be a tumultuous one.

Since a 30-year top-flight stay ended in 1964, Bolton’s Second Division finishes had been gradually drifting downwards: 3rd, 9th, 9th, 12th, 17th, 16th. But those seemed like the sale days compared to this campaign, which gathered just 24 points (a club-record low for a 42-game season) and seven wins, two of which came in the first two games.

A somewhat reluctant manager since December 1968, Nat Lofthouse stepped aside on November 1st (with the team in 17th place) to be replaced by his assistant Jimmy McIlroy. After playing just shy of 500 games for Burnley, the 5ft 9in Ulsterman had lasted six months as Oldham boss (under radical young chairman Ken Bates) before resign, and his time in the Burnden hotseat was even shorter: just 18 days and two losses, before he resigned on principle after being told to sell players.

Lofty reluctantly retook the reins, and although we whacked Birmingham 3-0 at Burnden, just two points from the next six games left us in 18th place, hovering a point above the drop zone – so on January 13th, Jimmy Meadows took over as “team manager” (to Lofty’s “general manager”).

Breightmet-born Meadows played nearly 150 games for Man City before his career was ended at 24 years old by an injury in the 1965 FA Cup final (although unlike some he didn’t bang on about it); he went straight into coaching with City then led Stockport to the Fourth Division title in 1967. He also won his first game as Bolton boss – 2-1 at home to Sheffield United – but that win, in mid-January, was our last of the season. We lost the next five, scoring only once and conceding 14; all told, league results in Meadows’ 11-week reign read WLLLLLDDLDLLLLLDD. A Last Chance Saloon in mid-April at relegation rivals Charlton ended in a 4-1 defeat and all but mathematically confirmed our first-ever relegation to the Third Division.

Doomed to the drop, Lofthouse again temporarily replaced Meadows, who rejoined his first playing club Southport. In 1973, he would lead them to the Fourth Division title; on congratulating Bill Shankly, whose Liverpool side had won the First Division title for a record eighth time, Meadows was told “That was nothing, son, you're the one who really deserves the praise”. And in the final full season of the old county of Lancashire, all four divisional titles were won by Red Rose teams: Liverpool, Southport, Second Division champs Burnley – and the Third Division was won by Bolton under Jimmy Armfield, appointed the summer after the club’s ignominious relegation. Sometimes, glory emerges from chaos.

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aanvalluh » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Image

Here’s the original TV gantry – which had existed since at least 1958, from the pics I can find – and clock behind the squad line-up for the 1970/71 season. It turned out to be a tumultuous one.

Since a 30-year top-flight stay ended in 1964, Bolton’s Second Division finishes had been gradually drifting downwards: 3rd, 9th, 9th, 12th, 17th, 16th. But those seemed like the sale days compared to this campaign, which gathered just 24 points (a club-record low for a 42-game season) and seven wins, two of which came in the first two games.

A somewhat reluctant manager since December 1968, Nat Lofthouse stepped aside on November 1st (with the team in 17th place) to be replaced by his assistant Jimmy McIlroy. After playing just shy of 500 games for Burnley, the 5ft 9in Ulsterman had lasted six months as Oldham boss (under radical young chairman Ken Bates) before resign, and his time in the Burnden hotseat was even shorter: just 18 days and two losses, before he resigned on principle after being told to sell players.

Lofty reluctantly retook the reins, and although we whacked Birmingham 3-0 at Burnden, just two points from the next six games left us in 18th place, hovering a point above the drop zone – so on January 13th, Jimmy Meadows took over as “team manager” (to Lofty’s “general manager”).

Breightmet-born Meadows played nearly 150 games for Man City before his career was ended at 24 years old by an injury in the 1965 FA Cup final (although unlike some he didn’t bang on about it); he went straight into coaching with City then led Stockport to the Fourth Division title in 1967. He also won his first game as Bolton boss – 2-1 at home to Sheffield United – but that win, in mid-January, was our last of the season. We lost the next five, scoring only once and conceding 14; all told, league results in Meadows’ 11-week reign read WLLLLLDDLDLLLLLDD. A Last Chance Saloon in mid-April at relegation rivals Charlton ended in a 4-1 defeat and all but mathematically confirmed our first-ever relegation to the Third Division.

Doomed to the drop, Lofthouse again temporarily replaced Meadows, who rejoined his first playing club Southport. In 1973, he would lead them to the Fourth Division title; on congratulating Bill Shankly, whose Liverpool side had won the First Division title for a record eighth time, Meadows was told “That was nothing, son, you're the one who really deserves the praise”. And in the final full season of the old county of Lancashire, all four divisional titles were won by Red Rose teams: Liverpool, Southport, Second Division champs Burnley – and the Third Division was won by Bolton under Jimmy Armfield, appointed the summer after the club’s ignominious relegation. Sometimes, glory emerges from chaos.
In the middle of all that IIRC Bolton played Sheff Utd at home, Lofthouse played a very young side (many made their names under Armfield but one im particular was goal scorer Paul Fletcher) and it was a rare (in those days) game covered by Granada. Bolton won 2 - 1 after being a goal down.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:56 pm

Here's interesting. In the early 1970s Ian Nairn, a brilliant and passionate architecture writer, visited a few "football towns" including our very own, which stars in this here double-bill with Preston. It's a fascinating programme, a glimpse at a few places around Bolton, and a few minutes of Burnden footage, which is why I've put it here rather than in General Banter. As well as the opening scene filmed on the Embankment, there's a closing clip, sadly truncated, of a match - no idea who against, although I guess it could be worked out...

Enjoy.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:59 pm

I saw this on the wall of a bar in Tenerife.

Absolutely no explanation why from the staff...
Attachments
bwfc.jpg
bwfc.jpg (68.62 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aanvalluh » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Aanvalluh wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Image

In the middle of all that IIRC Bolton played Sheff Utd at home, Lofthouse played a very young side (many made their names under Armfield but one im particular was goal scorer Paul Fletcher) and it was a rare (in those days) game covered by Granada. Bolton won 2 - 1 after being a goal down.
Yes, I remember that game well. Normally standing on the Embankment with Grandad (with Mars Bar in pocket which I had to guess) for some reason the whole family had tickets to the Manny Road Stand (a very rare luxury, sitting down) and even more surprising was seeing the cameras there..although in those days the recorded match was supposed to be secret, many had seen the TV vans outside the ground on Friday night and word got round.
Bolton had been awful up to that game (hence the small crowd and big surprise it was a TV game) but Lofthouse fielded a string of kids, and they went one-down. But to everyone's amazement - and mine as up till that time I'd never seen Bolton score a 25-yarder- they pulled it round, and the winner crept over the line.
At the end of the game Lofthouse was interviewed by Gerald Sindsadt, and was asked how the players felt. "Bloody knackered" was the reply.
Think they still went down, but that team was the nucleus of Armfeild's squad, and those Armfield + Greaves years were the most entertaining IMO; but then again I am 124 and remember when the White Horse shat on me.