Advice for Mullayo going to Bolton vs Forrest, Friday Aug 24

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Advice for Mullayo going to Bolton vs Forrest, Friday Au

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:11 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
That anyone would want to make that particular pilgrimage. Bonkers.
Your right. The ruins of the ersatz castle of North Wales it is then. :|
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
That anyone would want to make that particular pilgrimage. Bonkers.
Your right. The ruins of the ersatz castle of North Wales it is then. :|
Ha, touché! Cracking memory, by the way.

Yes, each to their own and all that, but why anyone would make a point of visiting some working men's club somewhere is beyond me. Tell me, did you ever take your friends to see it? Did they enjoy it? Did you enjoy it?!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: Yes, each to their own and all that, but why anyone would make a point of visiting some working men's club somewhere is beyond me. Tell me, did you ever take your friends to see it? Did they enjoy it? Did you enjoy it?!
I've actually had some brilliant nights over the years at various working mens clubs.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:48 pm

boltonboris wrote:
mullayo wrote:Cheers guys. Thanks for the help.
I'll try and book the flight then. That football museum sounds good. I'll look up the Holiday Inn and that YMCA in Deansgate and compare.
What's the nicest beers up your way? - I have a Down Under preference for lagers and pilsners.
I see you can catch a train from under the airport to Horwich Parkways is that the best way to get there GBP 3.80?

PS I know Phoenix Nights was fiction - pretty funny actually - and the nightclub singer in it hosts the official season review DVDs!
That train is the best one.. And stops at Deansgate. If you choose to stay in Town there's a bar near Castlefield (not far from the YMCA) that has over 150 different brands of beer from all over Europe. If I remember the name (somebody else might know it - little place on the bottom of Deansgate near Evuna I think.. Shit hot jukebox) I'll let you know. If you're staying in town, I'll take you for one after work.
porter street ale housr or summat?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Port St Beer House is on the other side in Northern Quarter, also good
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:26 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: Yes, each to their own and all that, but why anyone would make a point of visiting some working men's club somewhere is beyond me. Tell me, did you ever take your friends to see it? Did they enjoy it? Did you enjoy it?!
I think it was more a fascination along the lines of 'Surely no such place exists' with them. I've also ran people to Hadfield (League of Gentlemen) but I always break it to them first that the Local Shop doesn't exist.

Myself, I love to visit film locations - my favourite being Sleddale Hall (Crow Crag in Withnail & I) and the surrounding area.

When I was working in Las Vegas every taxi driver whose car I got into asked me if I'd like to be taken through the junction where Tupac Sukur was shot and killed. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Athers wrote:
boltonboris wrote: That train is the best one.. And stops at Deansgate. If you choose to stay in Town there's a bar near Castlefield (not far from the YMCA) that has over 150 different brands of beer from all over Europe. If I remember the name (somebody else might know it - little place on the bottom of Deansgate near Evuna I think.. Shit hot jukebox) I'll let you know. If you're staying in town, I'll take you for one after work.
Cask on Liverpool Road?
That's the fella
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Athers wrote:Port St Beer House is on the other side in Northern Quarter, also good
Fair enough

been in once and you can guess the state i was in!

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26 am

Thanks again guys.
Bolton Boris - thanks for your kind offer. You name a time and a convenient pub for you (Cask or Port St?)(leaving me time to get to the game) and I'll gladly meet you for a quiet.
What could've happened; did.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:00 am

It won't be quiet. I usually end up face down in a mound of coke in a strippers knickers.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:38 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
I've actually had some brilliant nights over the years at various working mens clubs.
Sure - that's not actually what I meant. I meant going out of your way to see a particular one because it was the setting for an average TV show.

But as Bruce has pointed out, I've done far stranger things myself. Like drive round every house F.E. Smith (Lord Birkenhead) lived in on the Wirral. :crazy:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:47 pm

boltonboris wrote:It won't be quiet. I usually end up face down in a mound of coke in a strippers knickers.
That's what I mean by a "quiet"

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I think it was more a fascination along the lines of 'Surely no such place exists' with them. I've also ran people to Hadfield (League of Gentlemen) but I always break it to them first that the Local Shop doesn't exist.

Myself, I love to visit film locations - my favourite being Sleddale Hall (Crow Crag in Withnail & I) and the surrounding area.

When I was working in Las Vegas every taxi driver whose car I got into asked me if I'd like to be taken through the junction where Tupac Sukur was shot and killed. :conf:
I've done a trip out there myself :oops:

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:08 am

As a fellow non-local I can recommend the advice you have been given.

My one recommendation, given that this might be the only, or one of a very few games you might ever attend at the Reebok is to consider staying at DeVeres. You could probably get a room for about £65

I try to stay there any time I go to a match. It allows you to watch the day build up and see the pitch rep the day before/morning of the match. Watch the players arrive and have a few beers at your leisure.

The best bit is apres-match as you dont have to sprint off and jostle for a train with the great unwashed. You can take your time leaving the stadium, saunter back into the hotel and grab a seat upstairs in the bar overlooking the carpark and watch the crowds disperse. The Bolton players will appear about an hour later in the great glass elevator and if you are so inclined you can 'bump into them' in the lobby and get your handshakes and photos before they hop in the bentley...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:24 am

They took your Bentley?? B*stards

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:25 pm

Right I'm back guys. Got my finances sorted and booked planes will be in Manchester on the 23rd and fly out again on the 25th.
Probably stay in Manchester for the 23rd and come up to Bolton on the 24th. Rock up get a ticket and hopefully a result and Bob's your uncle cause I don't know him!

Haven't booked accommodation yet but will do. Look into Deveres now Marshall 42 could I borrow your Bentley since you seem so free with it? Or the YHA?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Wherever you stay, you're near the station that goes into Manchester from the Reebok, or the Reebok to Manchester, so we'll still have that pint(s)(s)(s)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sure - that's not actually what I meant. I meant going out of your way to see a particular one because it was the setting for an average TV show.

But as Bruce has pointed out, I've done far stranger things myself. Like drive round every house F.E. Smith (Lord Birkenhead) lived in on the Wirral. :crazy:
:D Lolz.

Mullayo - assuming you still have internetz - I'll be at the Forest game too, would be good to meet for a pint if you're around the ground. Be good to meet Boris too, and I'm trying to persuade Verbs to get down to it too seeing as he's back in the shire this weekend.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:28 pm

RIGHTO!
Ive made it to Manchester. Staying near Picadilly station. Keen to catch up with Boris, Prufrock, Verbal or whoever!
My Liverpool supporting mate is driving up from London and meeting me about 4pm at Picadilly. We may drive up or catch the train and try and be there by about 5;30?

how about I tentatively schedule the Cask on Liverpool Road arriving between 5:30 and 6pm. Leaving before the game for me.
Post any thoughts and changes of plan and I'll check it tomorrow arvo. :oyea: :oyea: LET'S do this!

I like Manchester so far, it seems empty which is always good for a big city, is it students missing I suppose.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:41 pm

go to holme or moss side and you will change your mind about the greatness of manchester mate alternativly you could pop over to the beautifull city of salford which is just as shit. although you are right manchester is not as bad as most people in the U.K make out, i think you will find though that bolton and horwich especially are nicer.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.