Re: Matt Mills

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Re: Matt Mills

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I agree actually, but still. Steinsson and Ricketts played a lot of games under Coyle at right-back and although they had bad games, they never came close to Tyrone Mears yesterday.

Similarly, there isn't a human being alive who could've made more of a mess playing at left-back than Alonso did against Wolves and Fulham.

The complete non-existence of any coherent defensive plan, or tactics in general is one problem (and undoubtedly the biggest). The fact we also have some extraordinarily bad defenders is another.
Fact is Mears was better than Ricketts yesterday.....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Matt Mills

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Ricketts was utter wank and mears just wank then yeah?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:I agree actually, but still. Steinsson and Ricketts played a lot of games under Coyle at right-back and although they had bad games, they never came close to Tyrone Mears yesterday.

Similarly, there isn't a human being alive who could've made more of a mess playing at left-back than Alonso did against Wolves and Fulham.

The complete non-existence of any coherent defensive plan, or tactics in general is one problem (and undoubtedly the biggest). The fact we also have some extraordinarily bad defenders is another.
Ok, and?

:conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ok, and?

I was agreeing with you. Just pointing out that it's worrying that Mears wasn't the worst fullback performance on the pitch yesterday.....

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Fair enough. I wouldn't waste the time ranking them, but Rickett's was out of position.

I'm just stunned that we've gone all summer without being linked with a single left-back. Yes we need a midfielder, but we do have midfielders at the club. There is no-one who even resembles a left-back on the books.

Robbo hasn't signed for Toronto yet, it's not too late...

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Tombwfc wrote: Robbo hasn't signed for Toronto yet, it's not too late...
Thats true but i'd prefer we signed a footballer

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Jez wrote:
Tombwfc wrote: Robbo hasn't signed for Toronto yet, it's not too late...
Thats true but i'd prefer we signed a footballer
Is it the Toronto Starjumpers who are interested?

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:50 pm

I thought that Matt's brother played well for Burnley, maybe we've signed the wrong brother as we did with the Alonso brothers
The Voice Of Reason

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:56 pm

77 goals conceded last year - our poor defending got us relegated last year and we havent signed anyone who is an improvement on last years shower - were fecked
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ok, and?

I was agreeing with you. Just pointing out that it's worrying that Mears wasn't the worst fullback performance on the pitch yesterday.....
I thought both Mears and Ricketts were utter shite, giving the ball away and putting wank crosses in when in good positions.
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Holden midfielder
Promising
Promising

Post by Holden midfielder » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:03 am

Gail Platz wrote:I think Ream's done alright since he's been here. He didn't have a good game today but overall he hasn't been that bad in my eyes.

+1

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:33 am

Salford Trotter wrote:I thought that Matt's brother played well for Burnley, maybe we've signed the wrong brother as we did with the Alonso brothers
Well, we've had two Alonso's - but I think that the one that plays for Real Madrid's 1st team might have been outside of our wage budget.

We might come across an "ex-Alonso" when we play Charlton.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:50 am

Holden midfielder wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:I think Ream's done alright since he's been here. He didn't have a good game today but overall he hasn't been that bad in my eyes.

+1
Looked promising to me last season. Bit of pace and good distribution if a bit lightweight. Thing is when players like Ricketss are having shockers too you have to wonder what is going on. Ricketts has been a model pro/picture of consistency since he arrived. Came back like the janitor in The Shining last season and seems to have gradually been dragged down to the level of the rest. Tragic.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:53 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
Holden midfielder wrote:

+1
Looked promising to me last season. Bit of pace and good distribution if a bit lightweight. Thing is when players like Ricketss are having shockers too you have to wonder what is going on. Ricketts has been a model pro/picture of consistency since he arrived. Came back like the janitor in The Shining last season and seems to have gradually been dragged down to the level of the rest. Tragic.
Jury's still out for me on Ream - don't think he necessarily looks "bad". don't think he necessarily looks "good".

Knight and Mills didn't look bad pre-season against Barca B (to the extent I was surprised we started with Ream on Saturday). That said, we still conceded the customary 2 to Barca.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:15 am

Get the impression Ream could flourish alongside a proper powerful leader type centre half.The Iron Balls alpha male never say die fight them in the trenches type. He could bring guile and culture alongside the savage beast that is

Zat Knight.....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:42 am

Yeah agree with that IanM! He isnt ready physically for this league yet. Mind none of them are really from what I saw saturday.

Adam Wilson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Adam Wilson » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Got faith that Ream will come good eventually, Knight's fine for this division but can't do it all himself. Mears is as useless as a trying to get in and out of IKEA in 30 minutes when with the missus is with you.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:09 pm

Adam Wilson wrote:Got faith that Ream will come good eventually, Knight's fine for this division but can't do it all himself. Mears is as useless as a trying to get in and out of IKEA in 30 minutes when with the missus is with you.
Harsh on Mears. But I don't see why we signed him when we had Steinsson and Ricketts. Similarly I didn't see why we signed Ricketts when we had Steinsson and Hunt but Ricketts came good, hopefully Mears will too.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:47 am

Very solid last night was Mills. He and Knight are desperate for a ball-player to sit in front of them though. Now there's a dilemma?! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:59 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Very solid last night was Mills. He and Knight are desperate for a ball-player to sit in front of them though. Now there's a dilemma?! :?
Jan Molby is probably still capable of sitting :grin:

Doesnt even need to be a massively expansive ball player. Just someone who can sit compete and win the ball then move it on quickly and effctively.Bit of protection and intelligent distribution.We already have enough would be creative types.

If he fails to bring anyone in(always possible even if he spent all summer trying) then Vela,Ream,Ricketts could all end up being tried there.I still have a sneaky feeling it's a job Alonso might be made for.Would need to lose a couple of pounds and wake up/gain a yard.I just cant see him ever being sharp enough over the first yard to make it as a fullback. As a defender in the back line he's about as effective as Campo was when he first came.