Is anybody not convinced yet

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Is anybody not convinced yet

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Whats tonights excuse?
Sto ut Serviam

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Is anybody not convinced yet

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:47 pm

1-0 up and stopped looking a threat. Soaking up pressure. Isn't that what Megson was famous for?

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Owen Coyle has got to be the only manager in history to switch from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 when WINNING a game.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Stopped looking a threat?

You've just posted we never looked a threat - not sure how you know unless you're still getting out of the ground

All I know is we played the 4-5-1 favoured by most folk who ever watch us play

We led

We changed it to 4-4-2 including Petrov, Mark Davies and Eagles

We then concede 2

Now, it may be the change of formation and conceding 2 goals aren't linked...
Sto ut Serviam

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Mar wrote:1-0 up and stopped looking a threat. Soaking up pressure. Isn't that what Megson was famous for?
Did Owen take off Klasnic though? :wink:

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Mar wrote:1-0 up and stopped looking a threat. Soaking up pressure. Isn't that what Megson was famous for?
And Megson got sacked. What's your point?

For all his faults, Megson never switched to a less disciplined formation when we were winning. He switched to more disciplined formations, just put the wrong players on to do it.

Fact is, Megson got sacked for not doing his job properly, for not seeing games out, for overseeing piss-poor performances week in, week out, with no indication that he knew how to improve the situation.

Sound familiar?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:53 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:
Did Owen take off Klasnic though? :wink:
No, he brought K Davies ON !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:54 pm

Owen Coyle hasn't got a clue.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:00 pm

I actually think Coyle is less competent than Megson. Everyone remembers the infamous Gavin McCann substitution against Hull but at least that was grounded in reality. We were winning, so you bring on a defensive player.

I don’t know where Coyle learned to bring on a striker when 1-0 up.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:01 pm

The famous rebuilding project continues with a one-man wrecking ball at the helm.

Maybe if we all hope, pray and be positive we'll generate enough good vibes that Stuey and Mooey will be fit to play 4-4-2 against Hull. That is the only chance we have of making these tactics work.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:04 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:I actually think Coyle is less competent than Megson. Everyone remembers the infamous Gavin McCann substitution against Hull but at least that was grounded in reality. We were winning, so you bring on a defensive player.

Of course he's worse than fooking Megson. Megson knew it was a battle.

Coyle hasn't got a fecking clue.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:I actually think Coyle is less competent than Megson. Everyone remembers the infamous Gavin McCann substitution against Hull but at least that was grounded in reality. We were winning, so you bring on a defensive player.

I think thats the real tragedy. He really is worse than Megoo :hang:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I think thats the real tragedy. He really is worse than Megoo :hang:
:|

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm not that fussed about losing tonight (focus on the league and all that), even though we clearly should have won with the team we had out. The final nail in the coffin for me is the signing of Jay Spearing.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:48 pm

I always hope that a game like this is where it finally kicks in that certain things aren't working. I like Coyle and I want him to succeed with Bolton but it's getting to the point where he really needs to show managerial ability. I don't want to hear "the boys played well in parts but we can't give away soft goals" or whatever else, I want to hear him say "I was wrong to change". I've defended Coyle a lot and I still want him at the club but he really, really needs to prove he's capable. If we line up with 4-4-2 against Hull and we under perform yet again, I might then be a part of the 'Coyle Out' group.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Tonights excuse is the voices inside Coyle's head told him to do it.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:56 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:I always hope that a game like this is where it finally kicks in that certain things aren't working. I like Coyle and I want him to succeed with Bolton but it's getting to the point where he really needs to show managerial ability. I don't want to hear "the boys played well in parts but we can't give away soft goals" or whatever else, I want to hear him say "I was wrong to change". I've defended Coyle a lot and I still want him at the club but he really, really needs to prove he's capable. If we line up with 4-4-2 against Hull and we under perform yet again, I might then be a part of the 'Coyle Out' group.
It's taking you an awful long time to get there. Isn't there anything we can get Coyle to do which might convince you more quickly. Perhaps he could murder a ball-boy or interfere with the Reebok Rebels. We can make him do it via the collective will of thousands of supporters you know. Or the power of prayer.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:02 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Stopped looking a threat?
You could argue that we were on the pitch so we were a threat but its all down to opinion. Personally I'd say being pressurized consistently without testing their keeper would be considered stopping looking a threat. As for never looking a threat that's down to surprising the opposition by going a goal up.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I always hope that a game like this is where it finally kicks in that certain things aren't working. I like Coyle and I want him to succeed with Bolton but it's getting to the point where he really needs to show managerial ability. I don't want to hear "the boys played well in parts but we can't give away soft goals" or whatever else, I want to hear him say "I was wrong to change". I've defended Coyle a lot and I still want him at the club but he really, really needs to prove he's capable. If we line up with 4-4-2 against Hull and we under perform yet again, I might then be a part of the 'Coyle Out' group.
It's taking you an awful long time to get there. Isn't there anything we can get Coyle to do which might convince you more quickly. Perhaps he could murder a ball-boy or interfere with the Reebok Rebels. We can make him do it via the collective will of thousands of supporters you know. Or the power of prayer.
I just think everything which happened last year could have happened to a good, Premier League level manager. I'm not saying that's what Coyle is but I don't think his failure was anywhere near as big as some people have made it out to be given the problems within the squad.

My stance on this year was that it was a new year, where we could hopefully build a bit of confidence and then with a full strength squad, we'd see the true level of where we're at. I wanted to give Coyle time to prove himself but the fact is, things have no started as I'd have hoped.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:25 pm

I'll give you this, m'friend, you're not one to rush into a decision...