Worst ever XI

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Worst ever XI

Post by Verbal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 am

(Taken from the other thread)

To keep the doom-mongering spirit lingering further I thought this might be a good little poser to keep us entertained on a miserable thursday. So which 11 players would get into your 'worst ever' Bolton team? Obviously some of us will have, ahem, more years of experience to go off and others, so let's just say the worst team in your personal Bolton supporting life.

The formation is, naturally, a 4-4-2.

GK: Jurgen Sommer. Bit harsh, only played one game and pulled his hamstring in it. But still.
LB: John O'Kane. All I seem to remember is his ridiculous method of chesting the ball down which made him look like he would handball it.
CB: Ivan Campo. Harsh but I'm talking about putting him at centre half here. Christ.
CB: Gerald Cid. That Everton game gives me nightmares
RB: Jon Ostemobor
LM: Glenn Little. Came with fanfare. Did nowt.
CM: Darren Pratley. Runs like he's got the chariots of fire theme music in his head. Can't head. Can't tackle. Pretty bad.
CM: Gavin McCann. An underserving fall guy, really.
RM: Jon Walters. Mainly for him being a bit of a wrong'un.
ST: Salva Ballesta. See Glenn Little
ST: Delroy Facey. Hmm.

(This was actually a struggle)
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Re: Worst ever XI

Post by Verbal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:53 am

Just remembered Rasiak :O

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:55 am

In terms of low delivery on expectations, how about Nicky Summerbee and Jardel?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:55 am

Glen Little crossed for SKD to score v Wolves in the 3rd worst game I've ever seen at the Bok (1 = 0-0 v Souness's Blackburn, 2 = 0-0 v Middlesbrough) so he's off the hook. ;)

It really does require some thought this. See, Len Cantello was our record signing for years and years and years, and he was all shades of shite. I'd have him next to Cid.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:56 am

McCann scored to make us the only ever British winners at Red Star Belgrade. Worst ever? Not in a million zillion years.

Id put Mark Davies in this worst team ahead of him seriously!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:57 am

Verbal wrote:The formation is, naturally, a 4-4-2.
You are Owen Coyle and I claim my five knuckle sandwich.
Businesswoman of the year.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:In terms of low delivery on expectations, how about Nicky Summerbee and Jardel?
Jardel had the turning circle of the QE2 as well as the contents of its on-board buffet, but his header at Anfield in the Carling Cup when we won 3-2 just saves him for me. Great night!

I'd forgotten about Nicky Summerbee.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:McCann scored to make us the only ever British winners at Red Star Belgrade. Worst ever? Not in a million zillion years.

Didn't Celtic or someone else recently win there? Either way, a goal don't maketh the man. Delroy Facey has a Premier League goal, ffs.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:08 pm

so our worst XI ever have come in the last 10/15 years... which happens to be our most successful period ever?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Verbal wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:McCann scored to make us the only ever British winners at Red Star Belgrade. Worst ever? Not in a million zillion years.

Didn't Celtic or someone else recently win there? Either way, a goal don't maketh the man. Delroy Facey has a Premier League goal, ffs.
Yep but McCann actually turned up for more than 6 games a season!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:11 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:so our worst XI ever have come in the last 10/15 years... which happens to be our most successful period ever?
I'm 24. As said in the OP I'm not going to start slating Julian Darby, Asa Hartford or Len Cantello, due to the fact that I either wasn't born or was of an age where football wasn't about standing on the terraces and yelling 'Neal, you c*nt'.

I've no doubt that other posters will have authority to put forward better (worse?) candidates for the team, but that's what they have that I don't: authority.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:12 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:so our worst XI ever have come in the last 10/15 years... which happens to be our most successful period ever?
probably because the names are nearer the front of people's memories. I'm sure the old timers can come up with some suitable candidates

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Verbal wrote:

Alright man, we get it, you hate Mark Davies. But if you think he's one of the worst midfielders we've ever had you need your medication upped.

On the other thread, someone mentioned John Gregory, who did f*ck all. So did his fellow Phil Neal loanee Nigel Jemson, who gets my vote as captain. You could also chuck Robert Fleck in there, although he did score eventually. (And his face was in the wrong aspect ratio, but this isn't about looks, it's about lack of class.)

Glenn Keeley, anyone?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Verbal wrote:

Alright man, we get it, you hate Mark Davies. But if you think he's one of the worst midfielders we've ever had you need your medication upped.

On the other thread, someone mentioned John Gregory, who did f*ck all. So did his fellow Phil Neal loanee Nigel Jemson, who gets my vote as captain. You could also chuck Robert Fleck in there, although he did score eventually. (And his face was in the wrong aspect ratio, but this isn't about looks, it's about lack of class.)

Glenn Keeley, anyone?
I don't. But I'd willingly swap him for Gavin McCann at the level he was when he first joined us. In fact that is actually what we fecking need....

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Centre Back: Djibril Diawara
Centre Mid: Blessing Kaku

Build your team around that spine boys!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:27 pm

You really should have Daniel Bratten and Pelugreno (sp?) in there. No use putting any in from too far back, different game re- balls, boots and mud patch pitches. McCann and Campo shouldn't be near a team, like that. I'd take Campo back even now.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Chrisfu
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Chrisfu » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:29 pm

That, McCann was never as bad as was made out. He'd get in this team.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Always thought that McCann got stick just to get at Megson in the same way JD did just to get at Neal. Unwarranted and uncalled for!
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:You really should have Daniel Bratten and Pelugreno (sp?) in there. No use putting any in from too far back, different game re- balls, boots and mud patch pitches. McCann and Campo shouldn't be near a team, like that. I'd take Campo back even now.
Yep, I was talking about Campo when he started out, before he was moved into midfield. Class ball-player, awful defender.

Daniel Braaten! Wow, I'd forgotten about him. Fantastic on youtube, though... :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Always thought that McCann got stick just to get at Megson in the same way JD did just to get at Neal. Unwarranted and uncalled for!
Indeed, and stupid since Lee signed him (though reportedly the deal was set up by Allardyce!).