If Coyle gets the sack

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to take over if this dick gets the sack

Di Canio
19%
Mick McCarthy
16%
Billy Davies
7%
Hierro
9%
Campo
6%
Eddie Howe
1%
Curbishley
13%
Walter Smith
4%
Frank Spencer
9%
Other
17%

Total votes: 112

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: If Coyle gets the sack

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
boltonboris wrote:In hindsight, aye.. Beforehand, I'd have been happy with a point.
Well we sit proudly mid-table having played 5 teams below us, picking up less than 2 points per game off them, and having picked up 1 point at home, from the two teams we've played above us.

Is he still here?
just be thankful there ARE 5 teams below us!! :roll:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:56 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
boltonboris wrote:In hindsight, aye.. Beforehand, I'd have been happy with a point.
Well we sit proudly mid-table having played 5 teams below us, picking up less than 2 points per game off them, and having picked up 1 point at home, from the two teams we've played above us.

Is he still here?
There's more than that. I'm sick if all this knee-jerking from folk like you. Tell it how it is. 8)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Is he still here?
There's more than that. I'm sick if all this knee-jerking from folk like you. Tell it how it is. 8)
bloody rose-tinter - get your head out of the sand!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:19 am

jmjhb wrote:Keith Hill's Barnsley team are smashing Birmingham 5-0 right now. He would be my choice.
And a Bolton lad too. He worked wonders with Rochdale, got them promoted and in the top 10 of League 1 before joining Barnsley.

Personally speaking I would rather we took a chance with an upcoming manager rather than an average experienced one. Preferably a Lambert or Rodgers rather than a Clough or Darren Ferguson.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:22 am

That's what Coyle was....
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:15 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:That's what Coyle was....
It's true.. Regardless of what we think of him now, he was an up and coming manager with a good reputation. I remember thinking at the time, that we were lucky nobody else was looking for a gaffer in the Prem at the time.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:29 pm

boltonboris wrote:
It's true.. Regardless of what we think of him now, he was an up and coming manager with a good reputation. I remember thinking at the time, that we were lucky nobody else was looking for a gaffer in the Prem at the time.
Ah but he wouldn't have left Burnley for anyone else. Not even Celtic.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Yeah, and its why, I don't buy the "pick someone unproven cos they won't have failed yet" argument.

Sure it can be that you pick brilliantly, but a lot of those managers out there are unproven for a reason........

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Because they're young?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:52 pm

One unproven person who comes across well is Steve Round. He's worked for England, Middlesborough, Newcastle under Big Sam and now he's Moyes' assistant at Everton. I wouldn't mind a punt on him at all.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:24 pm

I won and retained the European cup with Bolton on FM 2009 or FM10 I forget which, but its an ITK FACT.

I will be delighted to take over as manager but we'll need to play our games at the Hunts Post Community Stadium.
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:One unproven person who comes across well is Steve Round. He's worked for England, Middlesborough, Newcastle under Big Sam and now he's Moyes' assistant at Everton. I wouldn't mind a punt on him at all.
That makes him better than the pre Bolton managing Sammy Lee in what way?

I prefer to have some confidence in my gambles and that one looks like a real hope for the best job
Sto ut Serviam

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:07 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:One unproven person who comes across well is Steve Round. He's worked for England, Middlesborough, Newcastle under Big Sam and now he's Moyes' assistant at Everton. I wouldn't mind a punt on him at all.
That makes him better than the pre Bolton managing Sammy Lee in what way?

I prefer to have some confidence in my gambles and that one looks like a real hope for the best job
It doesn't.

The problem is, most clubs are incapable of attracting a quality manager and I include us in that. We can't hire a proven manager, so whoever we get, it's a gamble.

Coyle has been a failure in most peoples eyes yet he was chosen in the same way Allardyce was. Some might want experience but Megson had experience and was a failure. Sammy Lee was a failure for us by look at West Brom and you can see that working.

The point is, there is no sure way we can get a good replacement. Every possible candidate holds a risk and, with the case of a young assistant manager like Round, the higher the risk may well be the bigger the potential reward.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Hows about Alan Stubbs for manager - he doing wonders at Everton as defensive coach
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:25 pm

You can all relax. He won't get sacked. With the inclusion of Warnock, some reults and, hopefully, the return of Stuart Holden, we'll be good enough to get back up. OC will then be hailed as the man who got us there. Whether he can keep us there is another matter entirely, but that's for "The Wanderers, the Return" thread. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:29 pm

nelson66 wrote:Hows about Alan Stubbs for manager - he doing wonders at Everton as defensive coach
Yeah - watch this fecking space! :evil:
May the bridges I burn light your way

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:You can all relax. He won't get sacked. With the inclusion of Warnock, some reults and, hopefully, the return of Stuart Holden, we'll be good enough to get back up. OC will then be hailed as the man who got us there. Whether he can keep us there is another matter entirely, but that's for "The Wanderers, the Return" thread. :wink:
I'm starting to think the same. I think we're coming good at last.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:30 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:You can all relax. He won't get sacked. With the inclusion of Warnock, some reults and, hopefully, the return of Stuart Holden, we'll be good enough to get back up. OC will then be hailed as the man who got us there. Whether he can keep us there is another matter entirely, but that's for "The Wanderers, the Return" thread. :wink:
I have hope and want him to do well with us, I think that it is too early to tell though.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:01 pm

jaffka wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
I have hope and want him to do well with us, I think that it is too early to tell though.

I love the optimism! Even though Coyle is totally unconvincing I still would love to see him succeed. I'm not sure a win at wednesday and a dodgy win v watford means the sky is suddenly blue. Warnock and Spearing should help as will the return of Holden hopefully and maybe ,just maybe he has stumbled onto a formation that could work so long as he doesnt decide to change it. Certainly with a solid formation the squad should be good enough. It'll take at least ten games of consistency with evidence of motivated players playing a system that works before I start to believe in OC again. Even then i will be pleasantly amazed if he is able to get the team up and keep it up. Live in hope rather than expectation

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Oh, we're back at the hope point of the circle! We're rubbish and can't buy a point - he stumbles upon a side that wins a game - we're putting a run together here, we might be all right, hopeful - what the bastard feck team is that? No, he hasn't learnt, we're rubbish again and can't buy a point.

Unfortunately the circle is much more like an egg with a pointy successful end and large rounded back of shite at the bottom.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.