Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from here?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from he

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:47 am

Ok so he's off doing some soul searching and has two weeks to come up with a plan and rebuild some confidence. If he's staying he has to go to the players with a clear plan and a sense of direction,decide on his best formation /team,find a way to stop conceding and have a plan B other than randomly throw on attackers and cross his fingers.The players need to see it as having potential and recognise it makes the best use of what is available and the roles and expectations for each player need to be made crystal clear. You then spend two weeks drilling how the system works and working on set pieces. It may well look a bit like one of big sams fall back in times of extreme peril approaches.
For me plan A should look like this.....

Mears....Ricketts....Knight....Warnock

CYL......Spearing....Andrews....Alonso
.................Eagles
.....................Ngog

Ricketts because he can pass a ball and has some pace. The midfield 4 because they can all compete for the ball when we dont have it and are capable of discipline and shape and will make it more possible for the fullbbacks to get forward and overlap without leaving us exposed. Eagles in a free role because the more he has the ball the more chance we have of creating something and Ngog because he is mobile and will draw fouls.No he wont score,lone strikers rarely do but for this system he is the best we have.

Mavis should only come into play as a direct swap for Eagles.It should make us harder to beat and I believe Alonso,Andrews and CYL are all capable of chipping in with the odd goal. I have fantasies about us winning one nil from a set play in a dour game.

As a plan B if we're a goal down and dont look like getting one back he still needs to keep some discipline in midfield. So 3 of those 4 should stay on.
It might look like this

.....CYL......Spearing....Alonso
.........KD...Afobe/Sordell...Petrov/Eagles

There's no point pretending that Petrov eagles or Mavis are part of a midfield because they cant defend.
So plan B is get the ball wide and attack the crosses but Keep the shape.The midfield 3 would still need to be fairly compact and full backs either side can step up to cover the space when the ball is on the opposite side and the 3 are drawn across.

Set plays become very important in a 451 so it's time to come up with ideas.

The other alternative for Coyle is to have a team meeting and ask the players to go away and come back with ideas about what they believe will work in terms of improving their individual input and in how the team is organised.Most likely a bridge toofar for an embattled manager but the team has to believe in the approach and feel like they have some input responsibility and control over what is happening. He may just have a chance of getting them pulling in the same direction and he needs all of them on board if he's going to stay and make a fist of it.At present the body language suggests a number of them think he is clueless and they appear to have stopped listening. Easy to understand if there appears to be no clear direction and all they see/ hear is this wierd fella in shorts waving his arms and shouting "come on lads heads up" from the sidelines

nb I dont believe he should or will stay but if he does he has to start from scratch almost and rethink what is happening.Which is essentially what a new man would do. It would be easier for a new man though because he wouldnt have the pall of failure around him and the 18 months of bad history weighing him down.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:28 am

I find that thinking what Coyle's next formation/plan will be is deeply disturbing.

I find the thought that he's still here in 2 weeks time, frankly, alarming.

While appreciating this is the "so what alternative" thread & good on it, but really, I'm almost in the "well, what's Megson doing" camp (of one).
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 am

bobo the clown wrote:I find that thinking what Coyle's next formation/plan will be is deeply disturbing.

I find the thought that he's still here in 2 weeks time, frankly, alarming.

While appreciating this is the "so what alternative" thread & good on it, but really, I'm almost in the "well, what's Megson doing" camp (of one).
Understandably! I'm just trying to take the thread on face value and work out how he can move forward if he stays.That would involve stepping back, analysing what is going wrong, assessing what he has to work with and deciding on the best way to make it work.I dont think him and his management team have been able to do this in the last 18 months. Since stoke and the various injuries/problems there has been no sense of direction it's all been panic measures and reactionary.Essentially he has to step back and treat this like a new job in isolation of all that has gone before. I dont genuinely believe thats possible but if he stays it's the only way he can make it work.He himself has to become a new manager and the players have to develop a sense of responsibility and a team ethos. Too many at present seem disaffected and oblivious to the idea that this is a team game. He has to get them all on board and those that arent will have to be shipped out even if its the likes of petrov. It's exactly what a new manager would have to do.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:55 am

ie Coyle needs to grow a pear.....

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:07 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:ie Coyle needs to grow a pear.....
And develop tactical nous
Pfffft.

bwfc_ben
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bwfc_ben » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Ok so he's off doing some soul searching and has two weeks to come up with a plan and rebuild some confidence. If he's staying he has to go to the players with a clear plan and a sense of direction,decide on his best formation /team,find a way to stop conceding and have a plan B other than randomly throw on attackers and cross his fingers.The players need to see it as having potential and recognise it makes the best use of what is available and the roles and expectations for each player need to be made crystal clear. You then spend two weeks drilling how the system works and working on set pieces. It may well look a bit like one of big sams fall back in times of extreme peril approaches.

.................Eagles

Ricketts because he can pass a ball and has some pace. The midfield 4 because they can all compete for the ball when we dont have it and are capable of discipline and shape and will make it more possible for the fullbbacks to get forward and overlap without leaving us exposed. Eagles in a free role because the more he has the ball the more chance we have of creating something and Ngog because he is mobile and will draw fouls.No he wont score,lone strikers rarely do but for this system he is the best we have.

Mavis should only come into play as a direct swap for Eagles.It should make us harder to beat and I believe Alonso,Andrews and CYL are all capable of chipping in with the odd goal. I have fantasies about us winning one nil from a set play in a dour game.

As a plan B if we're a goal down and dont look like getting one back he still needs to keep some discipline in midfield. So 3 of those 4 should stay on.
It might look like this

There's no point pretending that Petrov eagles or Mavis are part of a midfield because they cant defend.
So plan B is get the ball wide and attack the crosses but Keep the shape.The midfield 3 would still need to be fairly compact and full backs either side can step up to cover the space when the ball is on the opposite side and the 3 are drawn across.

The other alternative for Coyle is to have a team meeting and ask the players to go away and come back with ideas about what they believe will work in terms of improving their individual input and in how the team is organised.Most likely a bridge toofar for an embattled manager but the team has to believe in the approach and feel like they have some input responsibility and control over what is happening. He may just have a chance of getting them pulling in the same direction and he needs all of them on board if he's going to stay and make a fist of it.At present the body language suggests a number of them think he is clueless and they appear to have stopped listening. Easy to understand if there appears to be no clear direction and all they see/ hear is this wierd fella in shorts waving his arms and shouting "come on lads heads up" from the sidelines

nb I dont believe he should or will stay but if he does he has to start from scratch almost and rethink what is happening.Which is essentially what a new man would do. It would be easier for a new man though because he wouldnt have the pall of failure around him and the 18 months of bad history weighing him down.
Wasn't he supposed to do this on the last international break?
Owen Coyle: Ladies and gentlemen. Bolton will be playing Four-Four-fecking Two.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:25 pm

bwfc_ben wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Ok so he's off doing some soul searching and has two weeks to come up with a plan and rebuild some confidence. If he's staying he has to go to the players with a clear plan and a sense of direction,decide on his best formation /team,find a way to stop conceding and have a plan B other than randomly throw on attackers and cross his fingers.The players need to see it as having potential and recognise it makes the best use of what is available and the roles and expectations for each player need to be made crystal clear. You then spend two weeks drilling how the system works and working on set pieces. It may well look a bit like one of big sams fall back in times of extreme peril approaches.

.................Eagles

It might look like this

Wasn't he supposed to do this on the last international break?
He forgot. He's writ it on the back of his hand this time next to the time.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:If we are going to go down the foreign manager route, I think Solskjaer would be a good shout. He has lived in the north, he knows the English style of play, he has contacts over here, he has a full grasp of the language and I think the players would respect him. Rutten seems like a good coach though and highly thought of in Holland.

Having said that, I love the shout for Bielsa. Sadly, Real Madrid are lining him up for when they get rid of Mourinho.
Didn't Solskjaer turn down the Villa job in the closed season? Which might suggest he didn't do so because he was waiting for Bolton to call. :-)
I'm not sure what happened there. He went to Villa, spoke to them and decided it wasn't for him, but he didn't outright turn it down. His rejection must have been to do with their demands or their offer. He seems to be interested in the Blackburn job too, so I reckon we have a chance.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:04 pm

i do not want Ole he will do no better than Coyle
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:09 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:i do not want Ole he will do no better than Coyle
Yeah. Well, we all have to put up with people being around who we'd much rather weren't.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:13 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Yeah. Well, we all have to put up with people being around who we'd much rather weren't.
yes i know the feeling
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:14 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

I found this post funny !!
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:45 pm

It's beyond turning round for Coyle. Players don't believe in him and once you've lost the belief, you've very little left.

He can have any kind of awakening he wants, it's too late for Bolton Wanderers, whether he stays or goes.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:It's beyond turning round for Coyle. Players don't believe in him and once you've lost the belief, you've very little left.

He can have any kind of awakening he wants, it's too late for Bolton Wanderers, whether he stays or goes.
I agree. If he stayed until the end of the season, I don't think we'd go down or anything like that, but I do think we'd hover in the mid table, winning games here and there and then losing a couple on the bounce. It'd be very average. For the club to progress, Coyle has got to go. I've always defended him and hoped that a good run would lift morale and get everyone playing better, but it's just not happening. We're past that point now. The only thing that will result in a good run of form and promotion, is a new manager.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:55 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:It's beyond turning round for Coyle. Players don't believe in him and once you've lost the belief, you've very little left.

I agree. If he stayed until the end of the season, I don't think we'd go down or anything like that, but I do think we'd hover in the mid table, winning games here and there and then losing a couple on the bounce. It'd be very average. For the club to progress, Coyle has got to go. I've always defended him and hoped that a good run would lift morale and get everyone playing better, but it's just not happening. We're past that point now. The only thing that will result in a good run of form and promotion, is a new manager.
Pretty much sums up how I feel right about now Smokin
Pfffft.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm

COYLE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE.HE CERTAINLY IS,NT GOING TO RESIGN FROM SUCH A VERY WELL PAID JOB(would you)AND PHIL IS NOT GOING TO SACK HIM BECAUSE HE HIRED HIM AND THAT WOULD CALL INTO QUESTION HIS JUDGEMENT IN HIRING HIM.........

WE NEED TO BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES AND EXPECT A LONG AND VERY BUMPY RIDE :crazy: :crazy:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:10 pm

jonnycooper wrote:COYLE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE.HE CERTAINLY IS,NT GOING TO RESIGN FROM SUCH A VERY WELL PAID JOB(would you)AND PHIL IS NOT GOING TO SACK HIM BECAUSE HE HIRED HIM AND THAT WOULD CALL INTO QUESTION HIS JUDGEMENT IN HIRING HIM.........

WE NEED TO BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES AND EXPECT A LONG AND VERY BUMPY RIDE :crazy: :crazy:
there's summat on your keyboard called a CAPSLOCK* can you make sure that's not active before posting again??

also... remind me - did Gartside sack Megson and LSL?? and had he previously hired them?

* (not the person - I'd be very worried if he were there!)

dazl1212
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dazl1212 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:18 pm

First post here shame it couldn't be under better circumstances.
We in my opinion need someone with experience of getting a team into the premier league and keeping them there. The only ones I can think of are Curbishley and Bruce. I really liked the Pardew appointment at Newcastle and I got slated for it a the time (one of my mates is a Magpies fan) . He has done wonders since.
Pity he isn't available.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Bruce as in Steve?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

dazl1212
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dazl1212 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Bruce as in Steve?
Yeah. Didn't he keep Wigan up? Not saying he'd be my first choice though.