Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from here?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from he

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm nailing my hopes on a triumvirate dream team of Mark Hughes, Steve Bruce and Roy Keane. We'd get all the decisions going our way then.

Bryan Robson to replace the fat kit man. Just to get the boys of '93-'94 back together.

I hope Gartside reads this and acts fast.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

dazl1212
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dazl1212 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 pm

That would only work if Graham Poll was the ref

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:34 pm

So is there a list of potential and realistic candidates should Gartside do the right thing and get rid of Coyle sooner than later?

We're mostly looking at free agents or young talent from lower down the leagues, as we can't really afford to buy someone out of a big contract, plus our cache isn't particularly high at the moment...

UK-based free agents

Alan Curbishley - Hasn't worked for a while, but is still well rated for his time in charge of Charlton and also West Ham (where his record was actually not that bad, only 14 losses in 71 games). Knows how to manage throughout the tiers of English football, and may not be too expensive.

Mick McCarthy - A bit of a Marmite character. Very nice man, and his passion for the game and the clubs he works for is clear. Not the most tactically astute manager, and is a fan of the longer ball game. However, his last teams for Wolves did utilise a style that by the players we have would possibly work quite well.

Harry Redknapp - 'Advising' Bournemouth is unlikely to be his long-term goal, and may relish taking charge of a club with potential to move up (as he did with Portsmouth and Southampton, even Spurs to some degree). Always good in the transfer market, and has a keen eye for both established (yet cheap) and young talent. Despite his reputation as a 'Del Boy wheeler-dealer', his tactical work at Spurs has to be admired and he would be a popular if expensive choice.

Alex McLeish - His only real successes have come in the SPL, where he managed Rangers through a winning period. Ran Birmingham into relegation and for a brief time could've seen his time at Aston Villa end in the same (if not for our own poor management...). Would possibly look for work in the Championship but I wouldn't recommend him. He hasn't done much even with decent transfer budgets, nevermind a smaller one like ours.

Roy Keane - Hasn't managed since being sacked by an Ipswich side that were 19th in the Championship in 2011. Isn't that highly rated due to a similarly dour period at Sunderland where he had a large transfer budget and performed poorly despite using most of it.

Steve Kean - Just no.

Suggestions from forumites (these are my views on them though)

Adrian Boothroyd - Hasn't 'shone' since taking Watford in and out of the Premier League a few years ago. Is currently in charge of Northampton and isn't showing much that would make him an absolutely outstanding candidate.

Marcelo Bielsa - a bit of an 'out-there' suggestion by myself, but I am a massive fan of the chap and have him manage any team I supported. After doing great things over the last season with Athletic Club, is not having a great start to this season possibly owing to some clashes with Bilbao's high-profile players such as Fernando Llorente, who was looking for a big move (possibly Juventus) in the summer but was blocked by Bielsa. A tactical genius whose eccentricity and high standards sometimes grate on players not so willing to give everything to an aesthetic and philosophy that is demanding on players, despite it's potential rewards. Would be very expensive and not likely to want to come to a 2nd tier English club, but one can dream can't they!?!

Fred Rutten - Suggestion from gizmothevoomer - 'I would like to start the debate with two suggestions from Holland Jan Wouters the Utrecht coach or Fred Rutten the Vitesse Arnhem coach. Fred Rutten has coached at Shalke 04, PSV and Arnhen and in just under 200 league games averages over 2 points per game. Jan Wouters has worked predominently as an Assistant coach at Rangers, Ajax, PSV and Utrecht before being made coach last year.'

Jan Wouters - See above.

Ole-Gunnar Solskjaer - Currently in charge of top Norwegian side Molde FK after serving his coaching apprentice under Fergie at Utd. Molde are a decent side (playing in Europe League) and they are Solskjaer's home club, so it would have to be a great offer to entice back to England. Was spoken to about managing Aston Villa but he wasn't interested, and Blackburn are rumoured to be interested in him (though whether he'd want to work for the Venky's lot is something else). Must still have connections to the North West from his years at Old Trafford, and would probably be quite a popular appointment despite his years playing in red...

Thomas Tuchel - Another suggestion from me. Is managing a Mainz side that could be viewed as the Bolton (circa Big Sam period) of the Bundesliga. Punching above their weight and playing decent football to boot. Tuchel is an erudite man and reminds me a lot of a Jurgen Klopp-lite (and seeing how Dortmund play that's not a bad thing). Has experience of smaller budgets and would get Bolton playing how Coyle thinks they should, but with actual tactical plans and strategies.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, danardif. I doubt I can name more than a dozen managers in the whole of football, so it's nice to be given something to think on. None of the British options appeal to me, especially not Redknapp whom I detest (not that he'd ever come to Bolton anyway). I like Germans, therefore my completely uninformed choice would be Tuchel.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Sponge wrote:Thanks for the thoughts, danardif. I doubt I can name more than a dozen managers in the whole of football, so it's nice to be given something to think on. None of the British options appeal to me, especially not Redknapp whom I detest (not that he'd ever come to Bolton anyway). I like Germans, therefore my completely uninformed choice would be Tuchel.
I would look to the Bundesliga for managers too... I'm an army kid who spent my teenage years in Germany (I'm almost as big a Hannover fan as I am a Wanderers one), so I'm a big fan of German football.

There is talent the whole way through that league at the moment as well, both on the playing and managerial side. The small clubs are just as well managed as the big ones, and most if not all teams play expansive, attractive football (none of your Stoke crap there, even from your Augsburg's and Greuther Furth's, though Wolfsburg and Stuttgart are constant sources of laughable management).

Mr Gartside (if he pulls the trigger on Coyle's reign) should look to Germany for a young, hungry manager who won't be too expensive and has good footballing ideas and philosophies. He'd be making a massive coup if he did...

dazl1212
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dazl1212 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:13 pm

danardif1 wrote: Thomas Tuchel - Another suggestion from me. Is managing a Mainz side that could be viewed as the Bolton (circa Big Sam period) of the Bundesliga. Punching above their weight and playing decent football to boot. Tuchel is an erudite man and reminds me a lot of a Jurgen Klopp-lite (and seeing how Dortmund play that's not a bad thing). Has experience of smaller budgets and would get Bolton playing how Coyle thinks they should, but with actual tactical plans and strategies.
I like the sound of this guy if he's anything like Klopp e'd be a massive coup. I was saying the other day about what a great job Klopp has done bringing the likes of Hummels and Goetze through.
Wont happen though I hvae a feeling it'll be Roy Keane or some other garbage.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:15 pm

I can't see Bundesliga managers dropping down to the Championship though. And we won't get Bielsa in a million years.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:31 pm

jmjhb wrote:I can't see Bundesliga managers dropping down to the Championship though. And we won't get Bielsa in a million years.
You don't know until you try. What team in English football is actively looking at the Bundesliga for talent in all areas in the game?

Bielsa is just me being silly and thinking of my favourite manager...

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:37 pm

i like this bloke is dutch and was recently sparta rotterdam coach currnetly out of a job managed breman for a few years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aad_de_Mos
aad de moss
Last edited by bwfcdan94 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Dutch football is another good place to look at the moment, as the competitiveness of the league seems to have increased and that can be attributed to the talent pool increasing beyond just the big teams of PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord... look at Twente, Alkmaar and others...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Mar wrote:I'm tired of saying that we're only 'x' amount of points off such a place.
Well don't say it then. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:19 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:i like this bloke is dutch and was recently sparta rotterdam coach currnetly out of a job managed breman for a few years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aad_de_Mos
aad de moss
Sparta Rotterdam? Do you know the first thing about them? In fact, do you know anything about Dutch football? Clearly not! :roll:

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:i like this bloke is dutch and was recently sparta rotterdam coach currnetly out of a job managed breman for a few years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aad_de_Mos
aad de moss
Sparta Rotterdam? Do you know the first thing about them? In fact, do you know anything about Dutch football? Clearly not! :roll:
i probably know more than you if you want a challenge then get someone to make us a test
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:48 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
aad de moss
i probably know more than you if you want a challenge then get someone to make us a test
So why are you recommending a sacked coach from a second rate team from a second rate footballing country? And seriously? Absolutely anytime, Sunshine, on anything!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
aad de moss
So why are you recommending a sacked coach from a second rate team from a second rate footballing country? And seriously? Absolutely anytime, Sunshine, on anything!
People what live in Dan's street.

1) Who lives at number 9?

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
aad de moss
Spelling test, spelling test, spelling test! :oyea:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
aad de moss
People what live in Dan's street.

1) Who lives at number 9?
Easy. That's the Hfgbnkeelkjh's.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Spell rehdickularse
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
aad de moss
Sounds like the perfect fit for us then!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:02 pm

If he's not stuffing his face in Nando's then I reckon you're talking shite.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.