Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from here?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from here?

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:26 pm

Some thoughts re Coyle:

1.) I've said before on here, he seems to be the type who brings a real spark and enthusiasm to any new club he goes to, but with most of them he has left within 2-3 years. So we might be the first, certainly in his managerial career, to see him without that spark, and it looks like there isn't much there.
2.) That said, most of the players who play for him seem to like him, seem eager to play for him.
3.) He seems tactically clueless. In fact it isn't so much clueless, as having no appreciation how tactics and formations can positively impact a team. He just appears to dream up a vision of exciting, free flowing football, and put a team out to play that way, without any consideration for the opposition and how they play, and the qualities they bring. Occasionally it appears, usually after a succession of bad results, he has got it, sets up a team well, and we get a few results, then he reverts back to a losing style again without even seeming to realise it.
4.) He has managed to put together a squad that despite having world class players still, is shaky in defence, struggle to win and keep the ball in midfield, and are poor at taking chances. It is a recipe for failure at any level of the game, I suspect we wouldn't get promoted with the same squad in league one.

So it is easy; Coyle out. It is obvious. Anyone can see it. Or is it? We are a poor club in what is now a totally money-driven sport. We are in a poor area, with on average a poor (as in not rich) set of fans. We don't attract positive media attention, we don't attract rich benefactors (ED is a one off), we are not glamorous. We have a smallish fanbase that in the league table of fanbases would put us lower championship level. For us to succeed, to be anything more than a championship / good league one outfit, we need to excel somewhere, do something other clubs aren't doing. For the last 15 years or so, that has been in the way the club is run (ED and PG), and the manager (BSA). When those three were managing and running the club, we excelled so much we were about 30 places above our natural level for a period of 5 years or so. That is an incredible achievement. PG wanted to replicate the formula with OC. Find a bright manager with some feeling towards the club (in itself not easy), back him, give him security, let him implement a long term plan. This is surely what we have to do, it is our only way to plug the money gap between ourselves and many other clubs. However, for whatever reason, it hasn't worked and to be honest shows no sign of improving.

The big question is, if we assume it isn't going to turn around, and Coyle has to go, what type of manager do we get to succeed him, what kind of plan would this manager put in place, how would it be financed, and why would it work? This is the problem facing PG, and to me it isn't easy to resolve...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from he

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 pm

I hate all this defeatist bollocks. Fan base in the lower half of the Championship? No. Top eight was THIRTY places above our natural level? All time we are about thirteenth I think. For every Leeds in this league there are two Barnsleys. I mean that in terms of fan-base, not that it is relevant to success.

Anyway what we need to do is sack him. Quickly. And get a good 'un in before our advantage of ten years of premier league money and squad is lost.

That, or hope to god there's a shit load of shale gas waiting to be fracked by a massive Bolton fan so we can have our own gas oligarch. But still sack Coyle.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 pm

I still believe we have one of the most talented squads in this league, and probably the best facilities, youth set-up, and stadium. We don't have Premier League spending-power, it's true, but not many clubs do. I don't see why Bolton Wanderers wouldn't be an attractive proposition for a good manager looking to make a name or build on his career. Not that I have any clue who that "good manager" might be.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Sponge wrote:I still believe we have one of the most talented squads in this league, and probably the best facilities, youth set-up, and stadium. We don't have Premier League spending-power, it's true, but not many clubs do. I don't see why Bolton Wanderers wouldn't be an attractive proposition for a good manager looking to make a name or build on his career. Not that I have any clue who that "good manager" might be.

Someone who knows how to set up a side. Knows about formation. Knows how to organise a defence. Someone who knows how to react to a tactical change by the opposition. Someone who knows who his best starting eleven is, and plays them in position. Someone who can put an end to this abysmal decline. someone who isn't Owen Coyle. Right now I'd take that bird from Countdown. (Well who wouldn't?) :oops:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:I hate all this defeatist bollocks. Fan base in the lower half of the Championship? No. Top eight was THIRTY places above our natural level? All time we are about thirteenth I think. For every Leeds in this league there are two Barnsleys. I mean that in terms of fan-base, not that it is relevant to success.

Anyway what we need to do is sack him. Quickly. And get a good 'un in before our advantage of ten years of premier league money and squad is lost.

That, or hope to god there's a shit load of shale gas waiting to be fracked by a massive Bolton fan so we can have our own gas oligarch. But still sack Coyle.
Totally, completely, utterly irrelevant
Sto ut Serviam

Holden midfielder
Promising
Promising

Post by Holden midfielder » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Coyle out.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Holden midfielder wrote:Coyle out.
This, in depth, detailed arguement covers all the required ground for me.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:48 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I hate all this defeatist bollocks. Fan base in the lower half of the Championship? No. Top eight was THIRTY places above our natural level? All time we are about thirteenth I think. For every Leeds in this league there are two Barnsleys. I mean that in terms of fan-base, not that it is relevant to success.

Totally, completely, utterly irrelevant
It's about as relevant as talking about levels in the first place. Just cop out excuses. Where should Wigan, Swansea, Norwich, QPR, Reading et cetera be?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:40 am

bobo the clown wrote:
So Coyle out, and anyone in? I mean Megson is available....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:56 am

You totally lost me at the world class bit. Who on earth in our squad is world class? :shock: The last world class players we had were Djorkaeff and Hierro.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:04 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
I'm pretty f*cking bored of that bogeyman being wheeled out as a reason to stick rather than twist. You're normally better than that, my Brizzle friend.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Too easy to say Coyle oSut. How do we go forward from h

Post by Jez » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 am

We wont have any trouble attracting a new manager. we have a team that could be promoted with ease and then a chance for premier league stability, it would look good on any managers CV (not that mourinho is coming)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:15 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:You totally lost me at the world class bit. Who on earth in our squad is world class? :shock: The last world class players we had were Djorkaeff and Hierro.
Anelka, surely?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:You totally lost me at the world class bit. Who on earth in our squad is world class? :shock: The last world class players we had were Djorkaeff and Hierro.
Anelka, surely?
I'd forgotten him. But you get my point though...

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:49 pm

'World class' is the most frustrating description of a player in football - everyone has a different definition of what it means...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
I'm pretty f*cking bored of that bogeyman being wheeled out as a reason to stick rather than twist. You're normally better than that, my Brizzle friend.
Is he still the bogeyman?

Megson was bad, but was he worse than Coyle? Take away his complete inability to win over the fans, by a) not being the first choice and b) opening his mouth, and actually... Most of his signings were better than coyles, both had an ability to pick CM out on the right wing, but at least with Megson we had a semblance of defensive ability... he was sacked for a hell of a lot less than the current shower of shit in charge...

Not that I want him back mind...
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:33 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Is he still the bogeyman?

Megson was bad, but was he worse than Coyle? Take away his complete inability to win over the fans, by a) not being the first choice and b) opening his mouth, and actually... Most of his signings were better than coyles, both had an ability to pick CM out on the right wing, but at least with Megson we had a semblance of defensive ability... he was sacked for a hell of a lot less than the current shower of shit in charge...

Not that I want him back mind...
This makes sense in a vaguely annoying way. I hate it when reasoned argument makes one's prejudices look like bollocks.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:44 pm

+1
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:37 pm

I was discussing with a poster not far from here about the type of managers available to us. I read somewhere that McLeish at Villa was on £2m a year! Thats RBS chief executive territory.

Think about it, how many clubs in the world can offer our kind of salary even in the Championship? It won't be more than an hundred. So by that logic it is a very attractive proposition to a manager plying his trade in Europe or elsewhere just purely on salary alone. Can you imagine what kind of manager we could have attracted instead of Coyle if we looked properly at that stage and not lumped with the ex Bolton player? Obviously its different now we're in the Championship.

Basically what I'm saying is that a Megson type manager is not the only option if we do sack him. We have to broaden our horizons.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Roy Kean has been linked with Blackburn and Bolton today. Please god no...
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.