Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from here?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from he

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Even at the start of last season I thought we had a decent squad. At the start of this season I look at the players we have and I think they sound good. Whether he's lost the dressing room or not he certainly seems to have fallen out with some players. We need someone new to come in and give everyone a clean sheet, then put out our best XI in a formation that will get 3 points at home and at least one point away. It's not rocket science and whoever we get will have way more idea of how to do it than I have. Coyle should be able to do it which is what makes it all the more frustrating.

Every manager has a shelf-life. I don't think we should necessarily give the next manager a huge contract. Get one til the end of the season then have talks depending on how we do.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:49 pm

Reality is we're joint 4th from bottom. The positive thing is that with the way the Championship is we're only 6 points off the playoffs, something that can be easily overhauled. We have to act now before that 6 becomes 9, becomes 12 and it's too late. Use the time between now and the next game to effectively start again under somebody new.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm tired of saying that we're only 'x' amount of points off such a place. I want to say that even if we are in the relegation zone that we are heading in the right direction. At the minute we're not heading in any particular direction. I can't decide whether this team will turn up on the day and win or turn up on the day and capitulate. What I do know is that whatever happens we will be utterly inconsistent and not look like we know what we're doing.

I couldn't care about the number of shots or chances that we create. If Owen Coyle thinks that taking shots from outside the box constitutes as a good chance on goal he should rethink the logic. Its a turn over of possession most of the time and despite Chris Eagles being one of our standout performers this season he is also one of the reason our defence is under so much pressure (the same could be said about Petrov's crosses flashed across the box).

Find a system that all the players can buy into and focus on that week in week out. If they can buy into the notion that collectively we're heading in the right direction then maybe it'll actually come true.

dasher
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dasher » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Strange situation at the minute even when we go in front the fans still dont believe we are going to win and neither do the players.

Eagles has been great going forward this season but defensively is a liability. On Tues he lost the ball in midfield and made naff all effort to get it back.

Petrov is frustrating he hits every cross at the speed of light across the goal then wonders why no one risked permenant maiming to get their head on it

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Mar wrote:I'm tired of saying that we're only 'x' amount of points off such a place. I want to say that even if we are in the relegation zone that we are heading in the right direction. At the minute we're not heading in any particular direction. I can't decide whether this team will turn up on the day and win or turn up on the day and capitulate. What I do know is that whatever happens we will be utterly inconsistent and not look like we know what we're doing.

I couldn't care about the number of shots or chances that we create. If Owen Coyle thinks that taking shots from outside the box constitutes as a good chance on goal he should rethink the logic. Its a turn over of possession most of the time and despite Chris Eagles being one of our standout performers this season he is also one of the reason our defence is under so much pressure (the same could be said about Petrov's crosses flashed across the box).Find a system that all the players can buy into and focus on that week in week out. If they can buy into the notion that collectively we're heading in the right direction then maybe it'll actually come true.
This is why eagles should be in a free role behind a lone striker and the midfield four should be our most defensively capable midfielders, at least in terms of starting the game. Ricketts has to play beside Knight so we have some pace in central defence. Our strikers have no confidence(KD excepted) so there is no point in playing an open game. It's time to get compact and focus on not conceding.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Coyle, for sure has 'lost the fans'.

I believe he's lost a fair bit of the dressing room.

Unfortunately we need him to have lost Gartside & Eddie Davies.

I really would be amazed if he's still here by the next match, but if we are we are truly fecked.

As to who will replace him & who will do better .... (a). God knows (b). Could he do worse ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Coyle, for sure has 'lost the fans'.

I really would be amazed if he's still here by the next match, but if we are we are truly fecked.

As to who will replace him & who will do better .... (a). God knows (b). Could he do worse ?

could God do worse?? I very much suspect so!!!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:09 pm

thebish wrote:

You been bothering God again ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:11 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:

You been bothering God again ?
it was you who woke him up with your insistence that he knows who will replace Coyle. He told me to tell you "Do I feck!" and to leave him alone!

gizmothevoomer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by gizmothevoomer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:50 pm

As one of Owen Coyles staunchest supporters last season, and wanted him to be given the chance to get Bolton back to the premier league, I now feel the time has now come to part company. Simply put the inconsistancy shown this season is not acceptable in a club who have aspirations of promotion.

I would like the board to look outside the box and not go for a coach who has done the merry go round of English clubs ( Ie Alan Curbishley ect ) but look at some of the perceived lesser leagues such as The Dutch, French possibly La Liga which has no money other than Real or Barca.

I would like to start the debate with two suggestions from Holland Jan Wouters the Utrecht coach or Fred Rutten the Vitesse Arnhem coach. Fred Rutten has coached at Shalke 04, PSV and Arnhen and in just under 200 league games averages over 2 points per game. Jan Wouters has worked predominently as an Assistant coach at Rangers, Ajax, PSV and Utrecht before being made coach last year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:09 pm

danardif1 wrote:One manager I would love to see at Wanderers (and it's not gonna happen unless Phil and Eddie fancy writing a massive cheque!) is Marcelo Bielsa. Insanely tactically adept, a mad genius who would get Bolton playing the kind of football Coyle wants so desperately to play.
Mad as a pipe but brilliant with it. However, as you hint, why would he go from last year's Europa League finalists to our f*cking shambles?
gizmothevoomer wrote:I would like to start the debate with two suggestions from Holland Jan Wouters the Utrecht coach or Fred Rutten the Vitesse Arnhem coach. Fred Rutten has coached at Shalke 04, PSV and Arnhen and in just under 200 league games averages over 2 points per game. Jan Wouters has worked predominently as an Assistant coach at Rangers, Ajax, PSV and Utrecht before being made coach last year.
Rutten's an interesting one, I wasn't really aware of him (except as unpopular PSV coach) until our man in Holland wrote a blog on him this week - read it here (sorry mods but it's relevant). Again, though, why leave Europa-botherers for us? I'm all for spreading the net but we're fishing in a much shitter pool now. :(

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 pm

gizmothevoomer wrote:As one of Owen Coyles staunchest supporters last season, and wanted him to be given the chance to get Bolton back to the premier league, I now feel the time has now come to part company. Simply put the inconsistancy shown this season is not acceptable in a club who have aspirations of promotion.

I would like the board to look outside the box and not go for a coach who has done the merry go round of English clubs ( Ie Alan Curbishley ect ) but look at some of the perceived lesser leagues such as The Dutch, French possibly La Liga which has no money other than Real or Barca.

I would like to start the debate with two suggestions from Holland Jan Wouters the Utrecht coach or Fred Rutten the Vitesse Arnhem coach. Fred Rutten has coached at Shalke 04, PSV and Arnhen and in just under 200 league games averages over 2 points per game. Jan Wouters has worked predominently as an Assistant coach at Rangers, Ajax, PSV and Utrecht before being made coach last year.
danardif1 wrote:Hi there guys, have been watching these forums for a little while, and the state of our beloved Wanderers has 'inspired' me to join in.

I have to say that I'm really worried for the Whites at the moment. There is no real confidence, OC is flagging and has no real tactical plans for when games evolve (and every game evolves) and the results we do get are purely based on the talent of the squad and nothing else.

I think it is time for Owen to go, he has clearly put a lot of his heart into managing Wanderers and whilst this might be all well and good for fandom, it's not good for the performance of the club. It's now beginning to annoy the fans, and where Megson was hated but managed to keep us in the top flight with some sort of 'giantkiller' status, Coyle has dragged us into the Championship and can't even find his level here... He's not using players that we've spent decent money on (Sordell), making our best players look jaded and out-of-sorts (Chungy, Mavies to some extent) and seems to play some he just has a soft spot for (how else can you explain Benik Afobe's continued existence in the side...)

As for going forward, I think with the quality that's clearly within the squad, an experienced manager such as Mick McCarthy or Alan Curbishley would get us going in the right direction again. They know how to adapt to different leagues, they would have a good squad to inherit, and understand tactical evolution.

One manager I would love to see at Wanderers (and it's not gonna happen unless Phil and Eddie fancy writing a massive cheque!) is Marcelo Bielsa. Insanely tactically adept, a mad genius who would get Bolton playing the kind of football Coyle wants so desperately to play. Things aren't going so well for him at Bilbao at the moment (I think he's fallen out with some players who were looking for big summer moves and didn't get them), so he could be 'available' soon... I don't think he speaks much English mind...

Realistically we could look to German football for ideas. Someone like Mirko Slomka (who is managing my 2nd team Hannover very well, and on not too dissimilar a budget to Wanderers) or Thomas Tuchel (again doing good things with a small Mainz team) would be perfect for Bolton, as there aren't many language problems with Germans (most speak some degree of English) and due to the progress made under Klinsmann's reign at the DFB, most managers in the Bundesliga are very good tactically.

We do need someone who will give the players confidence in the style they're playing, and can give Wanderers an edge in both this league and (hopefully) the Premier League too. We can't compete on financial clout even within the Championship, so we need to be smarter.
Some serious knowledge here from both of you. Fancy a job on the Bolton board? :)

I agree with the sentiment entirely, we should have let Coyle go in the Summer and looked for a replacement Europe wide in the Summer. Might be a tricky time to do it in this international break. Point is when you're an established Premiership club you have a real chance of getting these names imv. Like both have alluded to, Premiership managers are handsomely paid compared to most of Europe. The Championship might be entirely different however but what is to lose? Don't think I could stand another one of Gartside's golf cronies.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Is Mark Curtis still deciding who manages us?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:50 pm

Just got home

Coyle out
Sto ut Serviam

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:51 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Just got home

Coyle out
:lol:

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:36 am

gizmothevoomer wrote:As one of Owen Coyles staunchest supporters last season, and wanted him to be given the chance to get Bolton back to the premier league, I now feel the time has now come to part company. Simply put the inconsistancy shown this season is not acceptable in a club who have aspirations of promotion.

Wow, someone who not only posts "Coyle out" and "We woz shite" but actually has some ideas to offer! Please post more! I've never heard of the fellows you suggest, but I do live in Holland so will do some asking round.

P.S. I'm including myself in the crowd that offers nothing of interest to this forum: I don't even know who got promoted last year.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:02 am

F*ck Marcelo, absolute don that he is! If we're talking who actually manages, we need to sign Beausejour from Wigan. Managerial god in the making. Learnt from Bielsa, and improved!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:15 am

If we are going to go down the foreign manager route, I think Solskjaer would be a good shout. He has lived in the north, he knows the English style of play, he has contacts over here, he has a full grasp of the language and I think the players would respect him. Rutten seems like a good coach though and highly thought of in Holland.

Having said that, I love the shout for Bielsa. Sadly, Real Madrid are lining him up for when they get rid of Mourinho.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:If we are going to go down the foreign manager route, I think Solskjaer would be a good shout. He has lived in the north, he knows the English style of play, he has contacts over here, he has a full grasp of the language and I think the players would respect him. Rutten seems like a good coach though and highly thought of in Holland.

Having said that, I love the shout for Bielsa. Sadly, Real Madrid are lining him up for when they get rid of Mourinho.
Didn't Solskjaer turn down the Villa job in the closed season? Which might suggest he didn't do so because he was waiting for Bolton to call. :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 am

[quote="SmokinFrazier"]If we are going to go down the foreign manager route, I think Solskjaer would be a good shout. He has lived in the north, he knows the English style of play, he has contacts over here, he has a full grasp of the language and I think the players would respect him. Rutten seems like a good coach though and highly thought of in Holland.

Having said that, I love the shout for Bielsa. Sadly, Real Madrid are lining him up for when they get rid of Mourinho.[/quote]

wrong way round that