Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:14 pm

I dont recall him having an idea on the defence last time. Presumably thats where jiminhio comes in....gulp

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:16 pm

When was the last time we actually had a competent defence? 2006?

Its clearly a deep rooted problem.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Probably at the start of megson's tenure

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:When was the last time we actually had a competent defence? 2006?

Its clearly a deep rooted problem.
Indeed. And not helped by signing the likes of Knight, Alonso and Ream.

In fact I might give them Ricketts, just about but other than that have we signed a really good, proper defender since Cahill?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:34 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Probably at the start of megson's tenure
Yeah, but you can't really have a long-term strategy based on 9-0-1 formation.

As for defenders, its not like we haven't spent enough. I have a sneak that its more a team issue.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Didn't someone once put Holdsworth forward as a serious candidate? For the record he received the old vote of confidence this week, his Aldershot side are 91st in the league and they're currently four down at Gillingham. Still, he'll be free in time for the Bristol City game.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:47 pm

I note Portsmouth won today. They sit 12th in league one, despite having what was it, 4 players on the books when we visited them in July. They will soon get another 10 point deduction for their administration woes.

He's hardly experienced and has no record to speak of. But I guess you could say he's done a pretty decent job in the circumstances there.

I wonder if aswell as sounding out OGS, if we are having a close look at Appleton.

Perhaps rather than jumping in we are having a close look at a few.

I guess for us like with players, getting a top manager in is about picking them up before anyone else really notices them.

A structure as BB suggests was discussed with Appleton, where you have Lee in some higher level to add experience (not buying players please) and coaches like Darby and Phillips backing up with a feel for the club, and a young manager like Appleton in, could be interesting.

It has one major benefit. Do badly and you could keep Lee and the coaching structure in around it and just change manager. Alternatively do well, and your manager moves upwards you have a ready made, stable structure to appoint the new bloke into.

In many ways it would tick boxes. We'd no longer be reliant on one man, or one man and his cronies and would have a mixture of stalwarts and expertise. Loyalty and ambition......

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Well, it's clear that he wasn't planning leaving & Garty wasn't planning binning him or the new guy would have been moving in as Coyle moved out. Frankly that's amazing.

Now, we need to get it right.

You only ever know in hindsight whether you did. Here's hoping coz the last 3 were not right.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bwfcommando
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bwfcommando » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:18 pm

We need fresh ideas a different outlook to our football, attacking football but resilient at the same time.Olly Gunnar Sols brought this to Molde and they won the Norwegian league for the first time in their history.He is young, energetic and must have picked up a lot great tips and advice from is former mentor.Sammy Lee should be No2 vast experience and great coach,
and lastly a Sports Psychologist is needed. :D

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:53 pm

what happened to Mike Ford (sports psychologist at the Reebok in BSA days)?
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:05 pm

nelson66 wrote:what happened to Mike Ford (sports psychologist at the Reebok in BSA days)?
I don't think he was sports psychologist. He was IIRC 'director of performance' or sommat like that.

And I believe he went to Chelsea....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:05 pm

bwfcommando wrote:We need fresh ideas a different outlook to our football, attacking football but resilient at the same time.Olly Gunnar Sols brought this to Molde and they won the Norwegian league for the first time in their history.He is young, energetic and must have picked up a lot great tips and advice from is former mentor.Sammy Lee should be No2 vast experience and great coach,
Have you watched a lot of Molde? How does OGS have them set up? Genuine question......

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:11 pm

For me, I think the entire set up needs improving and not just the manager. Sammy Lee should have a senior role because despite being a poor manager, is a highly qualified assistant. I'd like to have a director of football to overlook everything. I think a better coaching set up is essential, and was a bigger problem during Coyle than Coyle himself was.

A manager on his own isn't going to change much. We need a fundamental change in our system that can provide solidity, unity and consistency.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:12 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:For me, I think the entire set up needs improving and not just the manager. Sammy Lee should have a senior role because despite being a poor manager, is a highly qualified assistant. I'd like to have a director of football to overlook everything. I think a better coaching set up is essential, and was a bigger problem during Coyle than Coyle himself was.

A manager on his own isn't going to change much. We need a fundamental change in our system that can provide solidity, unity and consistency.
But I'm assuming promoting Phillips and Lee and bringing in Darby, is to address that before any manager is appointed. And I suspect agreeing to work with them will be key to any appointment....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Have you watched a lot of mould?
well - it has to be better than the X-factor and strictly cum dancing... no? :wink:

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Gail Platz wrote:I can't believe I'm posting this but potentially, potentially, Sammy Lee COULD work in the short term. If you think what he tried to do last time, he tried to radically change the style of football and personnel on the pitch all at once and it just didn't work. He brought in poor players in a tough division. This time around, he's got players that on paper are better than a lot of players in the division we are in now. We may see a reduction in hoofball to Davies, we may finally see Sordell get some playing time and if he has any idea on the defence (well as long as he has more than Coyle which isn't asking much) then we can pick up a few points.

Not saying I want him in long term mind, but I don't think it's quite as bad as it sounds.
Games are not played on paper. You are only as good as your last game. I don't buy into this we have better players than most in this league. Not from what I have seen anyway, and my view is not going to change unless results drastically improve. The reality at the moment is we have an average team playing some average football, Our defense is pathetic and too soft, Midfield is way too inconsistent and we knew what N'gog was going to bring when he was signed and it certainly isn't goals. I think it's going to be a long, Hard and very uncomfortable slog.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bwfcommando wrote:We need fresh ideas a different outlook to our football, attacking football but resilient at the same time.Olly Gunnar Sols brought this to Molde and they won the Norwegian league for the first time in their history.He is young, energetic and must have picked up a lot great tips and advice from is former mentor.Sammy Lee should be No2 vast experience and great coach,
Have you watched a lot of Molde? How does OGS have them set up? Genuine question......
From the Europa games I've seen (the Stuttgart and Copenhagen ones) he seems to use a 4-3-3 with one main striker, the other 2 operating as wingers/supporting strikers.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Have you watched a lot of mould?
I used to play for Mold !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:46 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
I work for a bloke called Mould.
Hope is what keeps us going.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
I work for a bloke called Mould.
He does ... & he's very short !