Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:49 pm

If all his posts are that funny, I hope he hangs around when we sign Doogie.

Aw...what do you mean he prefers Duggie? That's ruined it...

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Its all a clever plan by Gartside to unsettle our possible promotion rivals by offering their manager a job

I hope that Jimmy gets it.
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I'd feel a bit sorry for Palace if Freedman came to us. From all accounts, he's a club legend and they aren't doing badly at all right now. It's a shame that people in football are mercenaries, especially when they get as much affection as Freedman has had at Palace. It's not even like Coyle leaving Burnley for us either, because he was leaving a club where he was liked to join a club where he was loved. The Bolton fans don't have any opinion on Freedman and if they do, it's not a highly positive one.

If he does come here and things work out, great. However, it's still wrong. It doesn't say much about Freedman's character either, and assuming he joined us and we got promoted, when a bigger club comes calling, he'd leave us too.
I think thats a really simplistic account.

What if (as reported) we are offering a massive salary (relatively) and greater spending power. He may at a very basic level see it as a way to set his family up for life. I doubt he's minted or close to it. Perhaps he wants his kids to have a future and feels that it could go wrong at Palace at any point and he get sacked and be on the scrap heap?

I think the loyalty vs money argument is far too simplistic.

Otherwise no manager would ever leave a club they've done well at or would all be "disloyal".
If we were talking about any other random manager at any other club, you'd be right. However, how many managers in the Championship are adored by the fans like Freedman is? That's what sets him apart from everyone else and makes him more disloyal than other managers, assuming he does join us. He's loved by the Palace fans and if he is a good manager, he should be looking at making Palace into a club the size of ours, not running to the money.

He's never going to get the adoration of the fans at Bolton that he has at Palace. If he doesn't get immediate results, he'll be sacked by us whereas Palace would give him far more time. He may not have the budget at Palace that he'd get from us, but there are other perks that he has down there that we can't offer. If he'd throw all that away purely for financial gain, I don't think it says a lot about his character.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:26 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I'd feel a bit sorry for Palace if Freedman came to us. From all accounts, he's a club legend and they aren't doing badly at all right now. It's a shame that people in football are mercenaries, especially when they get as much affection as Freedman has had at Palace. It's not even like Coyle leaving Burnley for us either, because he was leaving a club where he was liked to join a club where he was loved. The Bolton fans don't have any opinion on Freedman and if they do, it's not a highly positive one.

If he does come here and things work out, great. However, it's still wrong. It doesn't say much about Freedman's character either, and assuming he joined us and we got promoted, when a bigger club comes calling, he'd leave us too.
I think thats a really simplistic account.

What if (as reported) we are offering a massive salary (relatively) and greater spending power. He may at a very basic level see it as a way to set his family up for life. I doubt he's minted or close to it. Perhaps he wants his kids to have a future and feels that it could go wrong at Palace at any point and he get sacked and be on the scrap heap?

I think the loyalty vs money argument is far too simplistic.

Otherwise no manager would ever leave a club they've done well at or would all be "disloyal".
If we were talking about any other random manager at any other club, you'd be right. However, how many managers in the Championship are adored by the fans like Freedman is? That's what sets him apart from everyone else and makes him more disloyal than other managers, assuming he does join us. He's loved by the Palace fans and if he is a good manager, he should be looking at making Palace into a club the size of ours, not running to the money.

He's never going to get the adoration of the fans at Bolton that he has at Palace. If he doesn't get immediate results, he'll be sacked by us whereas Palace would give him far more time. He may not have the budget at Palace that he'd get from us, but there are other perks that he has down there that we can't offer. If he'd throw all that away purely for financial gain, I don't think it says a lot about his character.
Throw away what? Fans calling for his head after losing the first three games of the season?

Totally disagree that he should sacrifice the future of his family, cos the fans like him.

Coyle was loved here until it went shit. That's the nature of football, and of Freedman moves here it just shows he isn't naive.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Now been granted

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/upda ... 39916.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:42 pm

that were quick

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:44 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:Now been granted

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/upda ... 39916.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Palace Site wrote:Following further discussions throughout the day the offer of a bit more wonga, Crystal Palace Football Club can confirm that permission has been granted for Dougie Freedman to speak to Bolton Wanderers regarding their vacant managerial position.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Another aspect to the loyalty thing is that if he were to become successful here, and get us into the Prem and keep us there, is that there would be no personal feeling towards the club and the area to prevent him going to the first slightly bigger club that came along. With Coyle or Allardyce, you felt it was only one of the really big clubs that could poach them away from us, barring a fall out with the chairman of course.

I can't see what would be in the move for him, or us. It doesn't seem like he is ready for another managerial job yet, and would be far better off staying there. And if we are to assume he is ambitious and keen to better himself. the job here seems precisely the job that he shouldn't take, you know, club in a bit of turmoil coming down from the Prem, good players who think they are too good for this level, talented squad but weak in vital areas, big expectations, not much money, and not much potential to be anything more than a struggling prem outfit at best, even if things go really well. And from our perspective we are going for an inexperienced manager with no experience of our situation, our club, our area. There is nothing about him or what he has done that suggests he will be successful here. PG/ED really better know football here because this appears to make no sense at all.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Did we say 'please' this time?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:53 pm

presumably - financially - the rewards we offer are going to be massively weighted towards a promotion bonus? and the contract will be no more than a year...

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Why wouldn't the contract be more than a year? Not exactly great job security, is it?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Verbal wrote:Why wouldn't the contract be more than a year? Not exactly great job security, is it?
no! :-)

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:00 pm

:) which is why I imagine DF's people might want a bit more than that!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Verbal wrote::) which is why I imagine DF's people might want a bit more than that!
how long to you think it is sensible to offer a young and relatively unproven manager, then?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Back on according to Sky Sports.
And I'm slow on the post according to those above.
Last edited by DJBlu on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:03 pm

A decade.

Er, well not long, obviously. I'm just being realistic and saying that in the negotiations DF might insist on having a bit more than a year...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:08 pm

thebish wrote:presumably - financially - the rewards we offer are going to be massively weighted towards a promotion bonus? and the contract will be no more than a year...
If he leaves Palace it is because his contract was for low money and only till the end of this season.

Initially he signed a 2 and a half year deal with them which is expiring and presumably they haven't offered him anything else.

He won't come here for one year and we will be offering at least 3 I'd imagine....

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:19 pm

If Dougie would rather manage players like Kevin Davies, Martin Petrov, and Chris Eagles, over Wilf Zaha, Jon Williams, Andre Moritz, Yannick Bolasie and so on, more fool him!
:lol: :lmfao:

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Still think Jimmy deserves a shot after Saturday, Freedman is a bigger gamble than what we already have in place. I have a feeling this is about Zaha somehow.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:29 pm

I wonder what the plan is if he turns us down.....