Owen Coyle. Where did it all go wrong?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Re: Owen Coyle. Where did it all go wrong?

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:23 am

it went wrong in the cup semi final as simple as that the day we lost that semi final coyle changed
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:it went wrong in the cup semi final as simple as that the day we lost that semi final coyle changed
He didn't change, the world just realised he wasn't all that......and his bubble burst.....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Don't think it helped that he hung the players out to dry after that performance. I think most of them genuinely believed that that performance was nowt to do with them.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:16 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:I've always had the opinion of Coyle that if you looked up "average" in the dictionary, instead of a definition you'd find his picture totally agree with you; to quote a Burnley mate "there's a reason he was never poached from us by a top club". He's your standard British, run of the mill, 4-4-2 loving manager who is set in his ways. It's also why I think there really aren't many top British managers any more, they're all set in their ways and too stubborn to adapt to modern football or even on the fly like most of our continental cousins. As some of you have said, this is what set Allardyce apart from the other managers we've had since Rioch, he made note of the little things such as niggling injuries and set piece weaknesses and told players what to do from the ground up. I honestly think that at a top club he (Sam) could do very well. But with Coyle the only thing he could ever do well was motivate the dressing room and he even seems to have lost that ability. Whether the events of last season shook him, I don't know, but I think he needs some time out of managing. He just didn't seem to have any discipline or command. I also wished he'd got out of that ruddy tracksuit on a personal note. He's always hit me more as a good number 2 than a manager.

Anyway, to address the thread title, I think Coyle's major fault is that he's very low key and unambitious in the transfer market. He got the best out of the team that Megson assembled with Elmander scoring regulary, Davies playing to England calibre and all that. But we started to lose our top players who he replaced for the most part with inconsistent, bit-part championship level players. He always seemed to buy for the bench and reserves, rather than the gaps in the first team. The only "good" signings that I can think of off the top of my head are Holden, Sturridge and now that we're in the Championship, Eagles. I predicted this would happen 15 months ago and that we'd go into freefall because of his signings, to the point where me and my fellow Bolton mates fell out, and I ended up being correct unfortunately. He's a nice bloke with good PR and I wish him all the best for the future, but he shouldn't manage at a level above Championship. He's just not got the tactical knowledge or adaptability to survive in the top flight unless he has a VERY talented squad to hide behind, like the Bolton one he inherited but could not maintain.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 pm

IMO He was never any good to begin with. At first he managed to fool me and many other Bolton fans by motivating a v. good Prem team and lifting the gloom that surrounded the Megson era. But when you look at what he had, when it was good, we had SIX players who could easily get into a middle of the road Champions League team. Sturridge, Cahill, LCY, Holden, Elmander and Klasnic and about five or six mid table prem players and with that he only managed 42? points that season. Then we lost five of those six players almost all at once: Holden [Injury] Sturridge [loan end], Elmander [Free], LCY [knee?] and six months later Cahill [Sold for peanuts].

His tactics or lack of them meant he could never get the most of what he had, he needed an exceptional team just to stave off relegation. When those players left, he replaced them with an influx of younger, less able players. The combination of these lower standard players and his poor tactical knowledge meant it was inevitable that we would be relegated.

A good manager would have been able to deal with the loss of those players (only two were a suprise). Both tactically and in the transfer market. He should have acted much earlier in the case of Cahill and got a fair price and the money he had available should have been spent on a smaller number of higher quality players, to maximize the quality of the first 11.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:40 pm

His tenure was always going to be a tough one given the likes of Elmander departing, but even despite his troubles during his tenure the club should've done much better than it actually has.

His short term signings were really his best work at the club, he brought in Sturridge, Wilshire, Weiss, Boyata, Kakuta and Miyaichi. All of these contributed to an extent and allowed the club to do well. At least three of these players flourished (Sturridge, Wilshire and Weiss mainly) but these short term signings did too well during their stay and became an unavailable option (Sturridge, Wilshire).

Without managing to sign these players we struggled to bring in quality talent.

The rest of his signings were questionable at best, even the manner from which we scouted for players seemed lazy and disinterested. In the past we were known from plucking talent from abroad but under Coyles tenure we didn't see an influx of talent from overseas. We brought in Alonso and Moreno (Real Madrid), Tuncay (who had previously played in the Prem), Ream and Holden (who arguably were Owen Coyles most outlandish signings). His signings suggest that he had an eye on the Premiership, top clubs youth teams and Scottish talent (presumably why he was aware of Stuart Holden).

Hopefully the next manager will come in and install something of a better scouting system. We can't continue by just hoping the youth team comes good or we get lucky signing Aston Villa cast offs (as was the case with Cahill).

For me though its the ones he did sign that were the most baffling and clearly evident that they were not going to radically improve our quality of play (Warnock might turn out to be an exception).

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Mar - what exactly did boyata, miyaichi and kakuta contribute?

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Mar - what exactly did boyata, miyaichi and kakuta contribute?
and Afobe ??
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

Joggers Nipple
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Joggers Nipple » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:51 pm

And Weiss?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:31 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Mar - what exactly did boyata, miyaichi and kakuta contribute?
Don't start looking beyond his waffle

Its bullshit, as per
Sto ut Serviam

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:24 am

Spartan2 wrote:He should have acted much earlier in the case of Cahill
He spent most of the summer trying to raffle him off...

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:04 am

Do you not just click a button and say #sell for 17 million
Sto ut Serviam

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:11 am

rumour is eddie howe is leaving burnley to go back to bournemouth. odd one. but if that happens, maybe mr coyle won't be out of work for too long. :shock:

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:39 am

James B wrote:rumour is eddie howe is leaving burnley to go back to bournemouth. odd one. but if that happens, maybe mr coyle won't be out of work for too long. :shock:
Er not too sure that the Burnley faithful would welcome Judas back with his tail between his legs nor would I imagine coyle would want to go back after the way things have fallen apart here. He'll need a fresh start possibly at a lower level to start rebuilding his reputation and only after a decent break so he can reflect on what he needs to do better and have a plan.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:50 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:Do you not just click a button and say #sell for 17 million
He he.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:50 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:Do you not just click a button and say #sell for 17 million
He he.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
James B wrote:rumour is eddie howe is leaving burnley to go back to bournemouth. odd one. but if that happens, maybe mr coyle won't be out of work for too long. :shock:
Er not too sure that the Burnley faithful would welcome Judas back with his tail between his legs nor would I imagine coyle would want to go back after the way things have fallen apart here. He'll need a fresh start possibly at a lower level to start rebuilding his reputation and only after a decent break so he can reflect on what he needs to do better and have a plan.
you'd be surprised in football. fans will be quick to forget the past if they think he can do a repeat job. look at the redknapp & portsmouth situation.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:25 pm

They played matches for Bolton did they not? It's not like they just sat in the reserves and didn't play for us.

Miyaichi scored at Millwall, Boyata against Chelsea, Kakuta's the most questionable but its not like he didn't get game time.
CAPSLOCK wrote:

Its bullshit, as per
Go swivel. At least my messages are related to the topic in question. Feel free to provide something useful to the discussion.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Miyachi was shit.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Mar wrote:
They played matches for Bolton did they not? It's not like they just sat in the reserves and didn't play for us.

Miyaichi scored at Millwall, Boyata against Chelsea, Kakuta's the most questionable but its not like he didn't get game time.
CAPSLOCK wrote:

Its bullshit, as per
Go swivel. At least my messages are related to the topic in question. Feel free to provide something useful to the discussion.
All contributed and allowed the club to do well, you said

Utter, utter nonsense

3 of them only came last season and we went down

Which part of 'doing well' am I missing

And Weiss!!!!

Don't talk nonsense
Last edited by CAPSLOCK on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sto ut Serviam