Allardyce piece in the London Evening Standard

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Allardyce piece in the London Evening Standard

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Thats how I remember it Worthy.

Its not the first hubristic statement he's come out with, I'm sure about 18 months ago that the secret to our ongoing success was that we'd cracked the art of not being relegated. I'm sure theres more besides.

As for any arguments about Allardyce, the figures speak for themselves. Most successful manager we've had in half a century. Its dogmatic nonsense to suggest otherwise.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Thats how I remember it Worthy.

Its not the first hubristic statement he's come out with, I'm sure about 18 months ago that the secret to our ongoing success was that we'd cracked the art of not being relegated. I'm sure theres more besides.

As for any arguments about Allardyce, the figures speak for themselves. Most successful manager we've had in half a century. Its dogmatic nonsense to suggest otherwise.
Nobody is suggesting otherwise......

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:16 pm

I'm pretty certain you've spent a lifetime pointing out his deficiencies where you see no need to of others with immeasurably inferior records.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:20 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'm pretty certain you've spent a lifetime pointing out his deficiencies where you see no need to of others with immeasurably inferior records.
No. I've said he was a fantastic manager here. He left no legacy though, because the most valuable thing he assembled, he tore apart.

We didn't have a great youth setup and we had team built upon high wages for players reaching the end of their careers.

Oh and Gerald Cid.

I don't buy into the notion that anyone should have been bowing at his feet. Once he left how he did, then feck him. He will say its part of the game. It's also part of the game that those who leave like that may not be that popular there, however much they did.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:25 pm

No-ones bowing at his feet. Theres very little in that article to argue with. It was up to the club, not an employee, to build a lasting legacy. We failed. Spectacularly. But then I'm sure those in football would know that all too well.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:No-ones bowing at his feet. Theres very little in that article to argue with. It was up to the club, not an employee, to build a lasting legacy. We failed. Spectacularly. But then I'm sure those in football would know that all too well.
The bit to argue with is that he seemed upset that people didn't talk him up after leaving.

He didn't talk Bolton Wanderers up. In fact he said we didn't match his ambition, inspite of all the money he'd been given that season, the backing through the panorama incident, and the year before the backing he got announcing time and time and time again his desire for the England job.

He got massive support from all here, fans, chairman and owner alike.

When he left and went back on an agreement to raid the staff. What did he expects? He showed the club zero respect, which is his choice and right. Why should he expect any back?

Simple question....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Gartside was just doing his job to try and lift spirits......

What did he owe Allardyce?

Especially after all the backing we gave him.

And of course the gentlemans agreement he wouldn't come back for our backroom....
There are ways of doing that job. My opinion was that Gartside took the wrong way - not that I hold it against him.

Owe is a tricky word - not sure he "owed" him. Common courtesy costs nowt though, and I don't think Gartside managed that.

We took Coyle's "support team" from Burnley, when we got rid of Coyle, we shunted them out of the door too - it's the way it often happens.

Frankly, if I'd left someplace after their most successful time in a generation or two, and the day after they announced that they had a better bloke all lined up from within the Club, I'd probably think all bets were off, as well.

Always bearing in mind that the people themselves weren't obliged to leave. If it was Gartside's notion, rather than Allardyce's then I'm sure he'd have been able to replicate it. As yet, I've not seen that occur.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:27 am

after they all bent over backwards for him vis-a-vis the england thing he can get fecked .

the alan smith ultimatum boxed him into a corner he'd never thought about , that for me, showed him up as a tight bastard that likes spending other folks's money. it were fecking genius. even if it is made up.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:57 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Gartside was just doing his job to try and lift spirits......

What did he owe Allardyce?

Especially after all the backing we gave him.

And of course the gentlemans agreement he wouldn't come back for our backroom....
aha our beloved chairman who is so good we owe him everything including four and half years of shit football and relegation still you will always think your email pal to be God won't you?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 am

He's a cock.

Wish he was still our cock though.
Businesswoman of the year.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:12 am

I will not criticise anybody who is still at the club for their behaviour towards Allardyce

Not without knowing what they know about the Panorama allegations

It's noticeable that Allardyce never did have his day in court despite all his huffing and puffing

I have no problem whatsoever with Gartsides comments on appointing Lee, either

It's true that Allardyce wouldn't have been appointed to manage a team that had achieved what we had under Allardyce

The problem the Allardyce lovers have is that they can't see you can think he's the best manager we've had in 50 years, but still think he's a fat headed, egotistical, arrogant cock

Or am I just ignorant an naive
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:37 am

CAPSLOCK wrote: Or am I just ignorant an naive
no! you are entirely and completely, totally spot on, and have hit the nail squarely on its head.

benn
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by benn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:19 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
The problem the Allardyce lovers have is that they can't see you can think he's the best manager we've had in 50 years, but still think he's a fat headed, egotistical, arrogant cock
You could say the same of several successful managers over the years such as Mourinho Ferguson et al , perhaps that is part of their make up that makes them successful. But I will remember his time at the club with good memories.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:52 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:I will not criticise anybody who is still at the club for their behaviour towards Allardyce

Not without knowing what they know about the Panorama allegations

It's noticeable that Allardyce never did have his day in court despite all his huffing and puffing

I have no problem whatsoever with Gartsides comments on appointing Lee, either

It's true that Allardyce wouldn't have been appointed to manage a team that had achieved what we had under Allardyce

Or am I just ignorant an naive
Can't disagree. Its more the fact people say Allardyce left us when we on a downward spiral while qualifying for Europe and finishing in the top 8 for a fourth consecutive year that gets my goat. Yeah he took staff with him but with that knowledge acquired over the previous decade we could have easily replaced them. Instead we seriously regressed. We really should have built on that success.

I remember you backed Allardyce over the bung allegations at the time. Have you changed your opinion?
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:01 pm

benn wrote:Makes me sad and annoying that a lot of posters on here and many more on the other site practically hate the bloke. They expect some sort of "loyalty" from managers and whine like teenage girls when managers take off to take higher profile jobs. They are no different than any of our players who would be off in a flash if Alex Ferguson came a calling.

BSA had been at the club for 8 years and had established us as a top third Premiership outfit. In my opinion we will never see this again in the next 20 -30 years. He got a disillusioned after missing out on the England job and then finding that BWFC were not willing to back in that transfer window. Given what he had achieved I feel he had a right to be a little miffed and then seeing what millions Megson was given to fritter away I for one can understand how it must rankle when he was asking for probably less than a 1/4 of what the ginger was subsequently given.

And as for the crying over him taking his staff and some players give me the name of any managers who don’t do this? It seems to me that these haters just want to find any reason to justify their pathetic feelings. It’s like they feel jilted or somat.

For me he was our best manager in my lifetime and I still like the guy and the way he goes about managing football clubs.
^ I agree with Benn.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:17 pm

feck loyalty... We owe him feck all and likewise he owes us feck all.

What I would say though, is: If you think people on this board dislike Allardyce judging by their words. You should the hear bile that spews out of Sams mouth when talking about BWFC. There is no love lost between Sam and the board and it's feck all to do with 'ambition' or releasing funds (for transfers)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:23 pm

Its hard not to think there was summat in the bung stuff...no legal action!

best manager in my lifetime

dodgy bastard who would punch his gran to move himself forwards.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:37 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Its hard not to think there was summat in the bung stuff...no legal action!

best manager in my lifetime

dodgy bastard who would punch his gran to move himself forwards.
Have you seen his gran ? She's a right tw@t !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:51 pm

They were great days when the country hated him and us - we were the epitome of 'all that's wrong with football' and the Southern-based media despised us.

But he left and celebrated like that twát Aldridge at PP in't cup-semi on his return(s) with Newcastle and Jackburn - and we won't forget that.

Shame really.
Troll and proud of it.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:No-ones bowing at his feet. Theres very little in that article to argue with. It was up to the club, not an employee, to build a lasting legacy. We failed. Spectacularly. But then I'm sure those in football would know that all too well.
The bit to argue with is that he seemed upset that people didn't talk him up after leaving.

He didn't talk Bolton Wanderers up. In fact he said we didn't match his ambition, inspite of all the money he'd been given that season, the backing through the panorama incident, and the year before the backing he got announcing time and time and time again his desire for the England job.

He got massive support from all here, fans, chairman and owner alike.

When he left and went back on an agreement to raid the staff. What did he expects? He showed the club zero respect, which is his choice and right. Why should he expect any back?

Simple question....
But that was the point- he was not given the money that season.
Indeed it was the tipping point
£10m that January for 2 PL standard players, and a real tilt at the Champs League and he would have stayed, been totally motivated, and who knows what may have happened?

We may still have slipped back that season, but Allardyce would not have been deflated and demoralised.

The irony is that ED has had to put up ten times as much in a vain effort just to keep us up.

Like I said, the tipping point

It does not excuse the method of his departure and after.

It looked a stupid decision to me then, and it has not improved in the meantime.
What goes around may still come around