Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by nelson66 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:00 pm

I hope someone sits down with him and explains the failings of the old regime, the capabilities of the players he's inheriting and the expectations of us fans.

Good luck to Dougie - i hope your here for ages and get us back into Europe - Bolton expects!
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:05 pm

nelson66 wrote:I hope someone sits down with him and explains the failings of the old regime, the capabilities of the players he's inheriting and the expectations of us fans.

Good luck to Dougie - i hope your here for ages and get us back into Europe - Bolton expects!

:lol:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:could be worse... <cough> Mark Hughes </cough>

could be even worse... <cough> Paul Ince </cough>

could have been worserer than worse... <cough> Souness </cough>

Dooooogie will be ACE!!

can we call him snoop?
Oh good, the Bogyman list...Anyone doing that "biggest humble pie of all time?" I might have one going spare. 8)
pass me a slice! 8)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... n-cup.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone linked this on another forum.

Have a read if you're interested in how Freedman operates..

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm

nelson66 wrote:I hope someone sits down with him and explains the failings of the old regime, the capabilities of the players he's inheriting and the expectations of us fans.

:shock:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:He reminds me of a young Duncan Bannatyne.

I am out......
:D
Businesswoman of the year.

Nevermind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nevermind » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm not trying to wind anyone up and it's not sour grapes before anybody starts (to be fair your forum seems to have nicer people on than the Palace one!) but this is a very odd appointment. 8 games ago there was all sorts of speculation that Freedman was about to get the sack. We played awful, uninspiring football for 6 months after beating Man Utd in the League Cup, which continued at the start of this season. We didn't concede many, but especially with this seasons defensive fraility it seems that was more to do with Tony Popovic organising the defence and having Nathaniel Clyne and Anthony Gardner, as all organisation fell away after the 3 of them left. We've played more attractive football this year, but that's more to do with Zaha being in such good form and the new signings (Bolasie and Moritz) hitting the ground running, literally. Maybe Freedman had hit on a good formula and he would have maintained a promotion push, but based on the past couple of years he just doesn't seem like a very good manager. Utterly defensive when winning - score a goal then put everybody behind the ball and hope to cling on is his standard tactic. Maybe he will prove me wrong at Bolton, but I just can't see him putting him transforming a a side, especially if there are strong characters in it. I really can't see why he left now, and I am not belittling Bolton, just it doesn't seem like the right move for football reasons. He had the fans support, which in all honesty is the only thing that stopped him being sacked at any point between about March and September, and was given time when others wouldn't have been. Sure we're on a good run and he won Manager of the Month, but surely nobody looks at anybody's perfomance for 8 games, because other than that he hasn't set the world alight. He's brought his players in, and to be fair hasn't done a bad job of finding players with limited money, although some of his transfer decisions have been a bit strange...and god forbid any of his targets are slightly unfit or can't play in 3 positions or he won't look at the twice (not necessarily a bad thing). I can only assume the rumours were true that CPFC2010 were not going to discuss renewing his contract until after Christmas as they weren't convinced about him - after all it's only 6 weeks ago that we were the laughing stock of the league and everyone was convinced we would be relegated - we really were that bad, and had been for months. I guess he took the safety of a contract with Bolton than risk being on the dole next summer, and not being in demans when this purple patch ends. Best of luck for the season, but I really fear for Freedman, I really do.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm

I think many of us are in the "it's a strange appointment" category too, and I don't read any sour grapes in there. I don't think most of us would've speculated that Freedman might be our next manager 6 weeks ago, even though quite a few had reached the conclusion by then that we needed a new one.

I think there's probably an amount of "baited breath" as we wait for the next few games to unfold...

Nevermind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nevermind » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:37 pm

I definitely think something went on behind the scenes with CPFC2010 or there would have been no reason to move - only last week he wrote an article banging on about loyalty and that he was only half way through his 5 year plan. Either that or it was just that he was offered a bit more money and I'll lose even more faith in footballers/managers! Just hope we don't get Coyle...he doesn't seem very popular with your lot!

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:41 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:

:lol:
Aim high - soar like an eagle ( errr not a palace eagle anymore but a bolton eagle :D )

I've watched em from the Ian Greaves days in the 1st division - all the way down to the 4th and then the ride back up. Any Bolton fan should know that dreams can come true :D
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Nevermind wrote:I definitely think something went on behind the scenes with CPFC2010 or there would have been no reason to move - only last week he wrote an article banging on about loyalty and that he was only half way through his 5 year plan. Either that or it was just that he was offered a bit more money and I'll lose even more faith in footballers/managers! Just hope we don't get Coyle...he doesn't seem very popular with your lot!
It's more than a bit worrying that Palace fans have the same reservations about Freedman that we had with Coyle after about the same length of time in the job.

It really does seem like a very strange decision.
Hope is what keeps us going.

RusholmeRuffian
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by RusholmeRuffian » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:44 pm

It'll be reet :wink:

Nevermind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nevermind » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:47 pm

He might do alright for you - he's a nice enough bloke and is (or at least was....) a Palace legend. I'm not sure who you're assistant manager is (Sammy Lee?) but hopefully he knows what he's doing as Freedman had to rely on Lennie Lawrence a lot and is still learning the game. The good thing is that he should be pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out in a few months then you can afford to pay him off...which may have been why we were stuck with him so long!

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Nevermind wrote:He might do alright for you - he's a nice enough bloke and is (or at least was....) a Palace legend. I'm not sure who you're assistant manager is (Sammy Lee?) but hopefully he knows what he's doing as Freedman had to rely on Lennie Lawrence a lot and is still learning the game. The good thing is that he should be pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out in a few months then you can afford to pay him off...which may have been why we were stuck with him so long!
Scottish. Ex-player. Nice bloke. Young. New to management.

Makes you think doesn't it?
Hope is what keeps us going.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
Nevermind wrote:He might do alright for you - he's a nice enough bloke and is (or at least was....) a Palace legend. I'm not sure who you're assistant manager is (Sammy Lee?) but hopefully he knows what he's doing as Freedman had to rely on Lennie Lawrence a lot and is still learning the game. The good thing is that he should be pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out in a few months then you can afford to pay him off...which may have been why we were stuck with him so long!

Well all that applied to Ferguson at one point....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:

:shock:

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
Nevermind wrote:I definitely think something went on behind the scenes with CPFC2010 or there would have been no reason to move - only last week he wrote an article banging on about loyalty and that he was only half way through his 5 year plan. Either that or it was just that he was offered a bit more money and I'll lose even more faith in footballers/managers! Just hope we don't get Coyle...he doesn't seem very popular with your lot!
It's more than a bit worrying that Palace fans have the same reservations about Freedman that we had with Coyle after about the same length of time in the job.

It really does seem like a very strange decision.
One important difference between the two, though, is that Freedman realised that he needed an experienced assistant to help and promptly recruited Lennie Lawrence rather than one of his mates.

He couldn't have done much more than he has in the short time he's been at Palace and I'd much prefer to have the next bright young thing in charge than Mick 'the job's mine if I want it' McCarthy.

ps. is it Dougie or Doogie?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Nevermind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nevermind » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:

Nice bloke? Er, when?!

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:56 pm

Its a big gamble to bring Dougie Freedman in after only 18 months in management, but we all have to get behind him and hopefully he will be a major success for Bolton Wanderers FC.
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Well he is our manager then. So come on Dougie and COME ON YOU WHITE MEN.