Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Nevermind wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
Nevermind wrote:He might do alright for you - he's a nice enough bloke and is (or at least was....) a Palace legend. I'm not sure who you're assistant manager is (Sammy Lee?) but hopefully he knows what he's doing as Freedman had to rely on Lennie Lawrence a lot and is still learning the game. The good thing is that he should be pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out in a few months then you can afford to pay him off...which may have been why we were stuck with him so long!
Scottish. Ex-player. Nice bloke. Young. New to management.

Makes you think doesn't it?
Well all that applied to Ferguson at one point....
Nice bloke? Er, when?!
Well ok, yeah good point.

Not sure that Palace fans would see him as a nice bloke now anyhow....

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:03 pm

“The very first words I heard as a kid at QPR was Don Howe saying ‘simplicity is genius’,’’ recalls Freedman.

“He was standing there, just back from the [1990] World Cup and that stuck in my mind. That’s the way I try to coach. Simple. Simple warm-up, simple technique drills. The game is definitely played simply – so coach simply.”
Me and you will get on just fine Dug (but watch for that BWFCi he thinks everything has to be complicated :mrgreen: )

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
Nevermind wrote:He might do alright for you - he's a nice enough bloke and is (or at least was....) a Palace legend. I'm not sure who you're assistant manager is (Sammy Lee?) but hopefully he knows what he's doing as Freedman had to rely on Lennie Lawrence a lot and is still learning the game. The good thing is that he should be pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out in a few months then you can afford to pay him off...which may have been why we were stuck with him so long!

:shock:
Darren presumably? :conf:
Hope is what keeps us going.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Marc Iles just tweeted that the deal for Freedman is not done yet.

Bit pre-emotive all this....

:wink:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:11 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:dont feel so bad for them now - what a prick. Adrian Durham worse.

bitter southern t wats.
Thought he came out of the interview showing a lot of dignity myself. The guy is obviously disappointed at the moment, but I got the impression that he (Parish) is in for the long haul and seemed very philosophical about the whole thing. It is a strange choice though.

Nevermind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nevermind » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Nevermind wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:

Nice bloke? Er, when?!
Well ok, yeah good point.

Not sure that Palace fans would see him as a nice bloke now anyhow....
It's the hypocrisy that annoys me. Fine, anybody in any job would be interested if people were offering you a (lot?) more money, but he's been banging on for weeks about how Zaha should stay and show loyalty and learn his game before moving on in a year or two (and I agree). Only last week Freedman was saying how he still needed to develop and would be loyal and complete his 5 year plan...yet he jumps at the first opportunity. If he had done great things at Palace and had outgrown us then fine, we'd have wished him well, but he's been consistently poor and was lucky to still be in his job (and wouldn't have been if he hadn't been a Palace legend). After one good run of results he thinks he's cracked it and can handle a club like Bolton who (I assume) expect promotion this year, or at the very least to be very close to it. Who knows what will happen, but he just didn't seem ready to move and should have learnt the game first - giving the ball to Zaha and letting him beat everyone then sticking 9 men behind the ball and clinging on for a result doesn't seem like a tactical genius. He either got us to score none but be tight at the back (for most of last season, although Popovic deserves a lot of the credit plus we have lose Clyne and Gardner) or be better going forward and awful at the back (this season) - maybe he'll finally figure out how to get both right!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Nevermind wrote:I definitely think something went on behind the scenes with CPFC2010 or there would have been no reason to move - only last week he wrote an article banging on about loyalty and that he was only half way through his 5 year plan. Either that or it was just that he was offered a bit more money and I'll lose even more faith in footballers/managers! Just hope we don't get Coyle...he doesn't seem very popular with your lot!
Coyle had a great season or so, pretty much as the opposite of Freedman. Played some great football and the occasional gung-ho draw from 1 or 2 nil down. But quite a few of his transfers seem to have not really worked out - Sordell couldn't get a game, we actually needed a DMF at the time and came back with a striker who's struggling to get off the bench. Maybe Gartside wanted Freedman to recover the investment in Sordell. :-)

Allied to that, we're leaking goals - which is, in part why a lot of folk thought McCarthy might do a job here to sort out the defence.

He seemed to be dogmatically 4-4-2, which sounds great, but only works if you have the personnel to be able to play it defensively as well as attacking.

When all's going well, he's fine, when we need to change some things, there doesn't appear to be a plan B...

Nevermind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nevermind » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Nevermind wrote:I definitely think something went on behind the scenes with CPFC2010 or there would have been no reason to move - only last week he wrote an article banging on about loyalty and that he was only half way through his 5 year plan. Either that or it was just that he was offered a bit more money and I'll lose even more faith in footballers/managers! Just hope we don't get Coyle...he doesn't seem very popular with your lot!
Coyle had a great season or so, pretty much as the opposite of Freedman. Played some great football and the occasional gung-ho draw from 1 or 2 nil down. But quite a few of his transfers seem to have not really worked out - Sordell couldn't get a game, we actually needed a DMF at the time and came back with a striker who's struggling to get off the bench. Maybe Gartside wanted Freedman to recover the investment in Sordell. :-)

Allied to that, we're leaking goals - which is, in part why a lot of folk thought McCarthy might do a job here to sort out the defence.

He seemed to be dogmatically 4-4-2, which sounds great, but only works if you have the personnel to be able to play it defensively as well as attacking.

When all's going well, he's fine, when we need to change some things, there doesn't appear to be a plan B...
Not sure Freedman's the man to sort out your defence...our's have looked like they haven't got a clue what's going on for most of this season! Especially at set pieces we're extremely vulnerable with no communication or leadership. But to be fair to him Tony Popovic left to manage in Australia, and he was our defensive coach. Then we lost Nathaniel Clyne and Anthony Gardner, and our captain Paddy McCarthy has been injured all season, and he replaced them with some donkey on loan from Southampton and a few dodgy signings who didn't join til end of August/September loans, so I might be being unfair on his organisational ability. We were very tight last year, although only scored one every 3 games!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:43 pm

Nevermind wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Not sure Freedman's the man to sort out your defence
We're not sure either! :-)

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... n-cup.html

Someone linked this on another forum.

Have a read if you're interested in how Freedman operates..

I like the cut of his jib. Comes across as very different to Coyle.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:A big welcome to Dougie. Apologies to Palace fans - it's happened to us before, too.

Notable that Lennie Lawrence has stayed behind.
Presumably DF is happy to slip into the coaching structure suggested by Bolton. I wonder what he has in mind for staff shopping... he may have some rebuilding to do. (Are Coyle's goalkeeping coach and chief scout still around?)
For now. IIRC some of the Burnley staff took a few weeks to follow Coyle. And Chris Evans hung around here after Megson.

I'd not rule them out coming later....
I wouldnt be surprised if he tried to involve Lawrence on some level. Someone had to take palace for todays game and Lawrence wont be looking to be manager again so quite likely may not be required when a new man comes in. I hope he does bring Lawrence along. He will need the support of an experienced and trusted mentor.

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:39 pm

In a bizarre twist of fate, I have already seen our new manager in the dugout at the Reebok this season. Albeit in my only match this year when Palace nicked that late penalty.

Perhaps Uncle Eddie sent me over from the Isle of Man on a scouting mission ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Is he any good for a game of interview Bingo, though?

This is important!
May the bridges I burn light your way

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Iles has tweeted that JP will be in charge on Sat.....

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Any idea what will happen to Jimmy Phillips now? Will he be heading back to his old post or maybe the last two games has earned the guy a little promotion?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Phillips, in his post-match notes, says that the Freedman deal isn't completed yet, and that he, Sammy, and Julian will be in charge going to Boro.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:Any idea what will happen to Jimmy Phillips now? Will he be heading back to his old post or maybe the last two games has earned the guy a little promotion?
I think we've already seen enough for Jimmy/Sammy/Julian et al to all be offered posts within the 1st team setup. Whether they'll want to or they'd prefer to go back to the youth setup (where they are having lots of success) is probably up to them. They've demonstrated their worth to the club throughout the setup...

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:06 am

I'm not sure what to think about Freedman, honestly. He doesn't seem to have a great record at Palace and he's obviously unproven over a long period, so its hard to know what to think. Did he do a good job with a limited group of players or did he not get the best out of his squad? Was his impact at Palace largely because he's a club legend rather than having any tactical nous, in the same way Coyle gave us an immediate boost?

I don't know and I don't think we will know until a few games down the line.

What I do hope, however, is that we give him a good supporting cast. If he wants to bring in Lawrence as his assistant, great, but make sure Phillips and Lee have a say in matters too. If we leave it entirely up to Freedman, there's a chance things can go wrong but I hope we can prevent that by making sure our manager has enough support within the club if he is making the wrong decisions.

I'm optimistic but there are doubts, I can't deny that. Hopefully things work out and Freedman takes us up.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 am

I would be surprised if he took charge before the Boro game. Only three days between the next game, I would have thought it makes sense to leave the holy trinity in charge and Dougie observe their practices and see what he likes and dislikes. Then implement his ideas for a week before the Cardiff game.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:07 am

No shirt and smile with a Reebok stadium background so nothing is certain as of yet. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't come as why would we get rid of Phillips and Lee for Lawrence and Curtis??

The whole thing sounds a bit of a mess, :? why would Palace say that he's gone yet Bolton not announce that he has arrived?? :crazy:
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED