Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm

I think we'll all just have to hold our nerve and stick it for the long haul...

but it'd not be fun if we all had to pretend it's ace every week - and it'd not be fun if we all reverted to "sack the manager" mode...

there will be more highs than we might have predicted had Coyle remained at the helm - but probably not enough to sweep us to promotion (are we even ready for that??)

and maybe they can sustain us through the inevitable set-backs - of which there will be a few more...

I think I've turned into Tango! :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
It's just the complete 100% mind flip, which gets me a bit.
a little bit like the one you made about our squad-quality?? :wink:
Not really a 100% flip though, I said that I had overrated them but that we are still underperforming....
if you say so! :roll:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:20 pm

thebish wrote:I think we'll all just have to hold our nerve and stick it for the long haul...

but it'd not be fun if we all had to pretend it's ace every week - and it'd not be fun if we all reverted to "sack the manager" mode...

there will be more highs than we might have predicted had Coyle remained at the helm - but probably not enough to sweep us to promotion (are we even ready for that??)

and maybe they can sustain us through the inevitable set-backs - of which there will be a few more...

I think I've turned into Tango! :wink:
Yep, 100% this.

We just have to hope that with little money Dougie can do a quick and cheap, Allardyceesque rebuild!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 am

Firstly, I think BL3 is some sort of anti-computer buff who's wound us all up so he can use page after page of discussion about somebody you don't know to show how the internet isn't 'social interaction'. You saddos.

So, onto what I think about BL3. BWFCi said he reckoned the squad was easily good enough to get promoted. He now says it isn't, that isn't a '100% mind flip'. It is saying you were wrong. I'm in the same category (though I only think we're a proper striker away from attacking the top six). There's a difference between changing your mind, and applying completely different standards. What convinces me that BL3 is either a WUM or (brilliantly, given the condescending 'are you stupid' type posts) a total divvy prannock is that he slags folk off for having different standards for Coyle and Freedman (you'd have slagged Coyle off if he'd done that) yet he defended Coyle saying a large part of it was the players fault. Now he criticises Freedman for weird decisions like playing people who aren't wingers out wide. He's guilty of the complete opposite set of double standards.

FWIW I think folk should be as consistent as possible, but, I don't think the decisions a manager makes with a brand new team are always directly comparable to the decisions a manager makes with a team he has assembled himself.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:55 am

Prufrock wrote:Firstly, I think BL3 is some sort of anti-computer buff who's wound us all up so he can use page after page of discussion about somebody you don't know to show how the internet isn't 'social interaction'. You saddos.

So, onto what I think about BL3. BWFCi said he reckoned the squad was easily good enough to get promoted. He now says it isn't, that isn't a '100% mind flip'. It is saying you were wrong. I'm in the same category (though I only think we're a proper striker away from attacking the top six). There's a difference between changing your mind, and applying completely different standards. What convinces me that BL3 is either a WUM or (brilliantly, given the condescending 'are you stupid' type posts) a total divvy prannock is that he slags folk off for having different standards for Coyle and Freedman (you'd have slagged Coyle off if he'd done that) yet he defended Coyle saying a large part of it was the players fault. Now he criticises Freedman for weird decisions like playing people who aren't wingers out wide. He's guilty of the complete opposite set of double standards.

FWIW I think folk should be as consistent as possible, but, I don't think the decisions a manager makes with a brand new team are always directly comparable to the decisions a manager makes with a team he has assembled himself.
I'm none the wiser...
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:44 am

I've never actually seen him say Coyle was ace or owt. Think he's of the opinion that DF is just no better. But because he talks a good game, he's pulling some fans along.

He (DF) said the other day about how we're a bit shit and we're going to try and stop being so shit, but I'm not promising owt about being anything other than shit for the foreseeable because I don't "have a magic wand"

And everyone fell over themselves creaming him off.

It's a bit baffling.

I think he might be alright, as does BL3 maybe. But it doesn't mean everyone should immediately start thinking that slipping down the league and getting done over at home to even worse teams than the last bloke is "progress"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:38 am

BL3's "views" are so utterly reductive and without nuance, and his manner so relentlessly humourless, as to make any kind of debate impossible. He's a WUM, and a pretty good one. Or I'm giving him too much credit and he's just a nice person.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:53 am

There are plenty of others on here who just say "Shuddup prick" when people have a differing view.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:28 am

I confess to getting worried about this guy Freedman the 'one trick pony' thing keeps popping up and the fact he reminds me of Claudio Ranieri without £150 million to spend.
Gotta give him a few more games yet but I reckon so far he ain't doing as good as he should with the players we have, I don't happen to think they are all shit.
TBH if things start to go pear shaped and the pressure mounts on him I think he'll just walk.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:31 am

boltonboris wrote:There are plenty of others on here who just say "Shuddup prick" when people have a differing view.

Is there? Perhaps there is, but that kind of response is easy to ignore – hence why I don't really notice it. BL3's posts, on the other hand, are like Chinese water torture.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:47 am

Not the best judge of players BL3
Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 am I get the feeling that it's going to be a busy summer if we get significant funds from the sale of Cahill. Pratley would be a very good signing.
Never live down your Megson 'love in' will you :mrgreen:
Hint of a Coyle love in from BL3
Mon May 02, 2011 10:04 am BWFC_Insane wrote:
Coyle isn't quite as good YET as folk make out and Megson wasn't quite as bad as popular opinion would make out.

Coyle has achieved more in in his first full season than Megson did in twice that time and with a fraction of the budget that Megson had.
Sorry BL3 never argue with those who can see into the future :D
Sun May 08, 2011 10:57 am Hoboh wrote:
Overall its been a great season but Arsenal apart whats happing now is ruining it for the supporters.

Only if your view of the season is based on the last few results.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:00 am

Worrying mindset;
"Were we comfortable winning 1-0? I don't think we were. We need to be able to play in a certain way to see the game out."
Getting worse;
"I don't think players' mindsets are 'we can win 1-0,' so they need a bit of help and we'll try give them that help," he added

"The opportunities were there, we created the chances we just didn't take them and if you don't take them you are always going to be on the back foot.

"I just felt we couldn't see the game out. I've learnt more today than I have in the last five or six matches."
Then this;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/busi ... ayers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want a bloke 110% commited to BWFC with the problems we have got not one looking at a plan B for himself!

I'm veering rapidly to the "dislike the fella camp" unless he starts to deliver and he ain't got that long.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:12 am

Hoboh wrote:Worrying mindset;
"Were we comfortable winning 1-0? I don't think we were. We need to be able to play in a certain way to see the game out."
Getting worse;
"I don't think players' mindsets are 'we can win 1-0,' so they need a bit of help and we'll try give them that help," he added

"The opportunities were there, we created the chances we just didn't take them and if you don't take them you are always going to be on the back foot.

"I just felt we couldn't see the game out. I've learnt more today than I have in the last five or six matches."
Then this;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/busi ... ayers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want a bloke 110% commited to BWFC with the problems we have got not one looking at a plan B for himself!

I'm veering rapidly to the "dislike the fella camp" unless he starts to deliver and he ain't got that long.
If he's talking about the ipswich match, that's nuts. A game doesn't last for six minutes, get a goal, and then sit back and 'see the game out' for the next eighty four fecken minutes. You're bound to get spadookled with that attitude/plan. Reminiscent of the worst England teams that is.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 am

Come on guys.... He's quite clearly talking about progress?! Who needs clean sheets when you've scored 2 goals at home in the last 3 games.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Getting worse;

Then this;

If he's talking about the ipswich match, that's nuts. A game doesn't last for six minutes, get a goal, and then sit back and 'see the game out' for the next eighty four fecken minutes. You're bound to get spadookled with that attitude/plan. Reminiscent of the worst England teams that is.
He was!

Eagle in peace
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eagle in peace » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:50 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Getting worse;

Then this;

I readily recognise the quotes and mindset DF is referring to here. I think I have made reference before that he is hugely influenced by Italian football, in the way they control games. Sitting on a 1-0 lead is something DF does. Invariably (last season especially), the result was our eventual conceding of goals. Even the sh*ttiest of teams have one or two good chances a game so we found this strategy frustrating, but put up with it due to DF's status with us.

Re the alternative occupation article, that's not new news, having first been reported in local rags prior to his walking out of Palace.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 pm

We didn't sit men behind the ball to protect the 1-0. Quite the opposite, dougie threw more attackers on to chase a second goal.

What he's saying is that you have to be able to win 1-0 if you don't get the second goal.

But our players don't have that mentality so we are always having to chase a second goal and if it doesn't come it just makes it more and more likely that we will make a mistake at the back.

Dougie is spot on. Until the mentality changes where we can get wins any old how and can keep clean sheets we are always going to struggle. Second goals come much easier when your team believes it will probably keep a clean sheet. Just as clean sheets are easier when you score a few up the other end.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:51 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... s/10084374._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Andrews basically saying here that the players are being told to keep the ball, but the fans are too impatient. Dougie has hinted at the same.

Tombwfc summed up the at Reebok in his post when he described it as an 'angry father waiting for his child to make a misake'. Deathly silence only broken by moans when we don't 'get it forwards quickly' or a mistake is made.

I can see what we are trying to do, how we are trying to keep the ball more, restrict the opposition and pass our way into positions. It's the right thing to do. Yet all around me as we pass it along the back line you just hear 'get it forwards Knight you useless fecker'. Then we lose it and are under pressure. This is at 1-0 up.

These are the same people who moan when we do go long.

The lack of patience from the fans is poor.

The lack of strength of character from the players to be able to block out the idiots screaming at the from the sides seems equally as poor.

Something needs to change in both cases, in my opinion.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:54 pm

it's because we're not the most knowledgeable fans in the world who really understand the game - like those liverpool fans...

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:21 pm

I must say sometimes I truly despair over some of the posts on here...
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless