Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:31 pm

his Screen Wipe was easily the funniest thing I saw on the tellybox over christmas/new year...

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:56 pm

thebish wrote:his Screen Wipe was easily the funniest thing I saw on the tellybox over christmas/new year...
Plus, he seems to be right about a lot of things, or at least I agree with him on a lot of things.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:57 pm

thebish wrote:his Screen Wipe was easily the funniest thing I saw on the tellybox over christmas/new year...
I didn't see that but I do on occassion find him quite amusing.

I suspect he's one of them "marmite characters".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:25 pm

watching it on i-player. Very funny.

I'll guarantee he's a prick ..... but he's a funny prick !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:32 pm

I've liked Brooker since he created TV Go Home, a TV listings satire, in the late 90s. At the time I worked in TV listings, but I don't think that was a prerequisite to finding it amusing.

There's no doubt that lots of people dislike him, and I can understand why, but on the quote in question he's got a very good point indeed.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Is Dougie having a dig at the John Mc's etc? IN today's BN he says:

"You have ex-players on radio or on TV telling you what you should be doing" :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Is Dougie having a dig at the John Mc's etc? IN today's BN he says:

"You have ex-players on radio or on TV telling you what you should be doing" :wink:
If rumours are to be believed, McGinlay's been having a pop at Dougie outside of his radio commitments. Bit of back-chat ongoing.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Loyal White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Is Dougie having a dig at the John Mc's etc? IN today's BN he says:

If rumours are to be believed, McGinlay's been having a pop at Dougie outside of his radio commitments. Bit of back-chat ongoing.
Shame if he is.

It's OK to be critical, so long as it's fair, reasonaed and consistent. I don't recall him giving Cptn. Chaos too much grief. He was a big pal of the Saint, wasn't he ... so maybe a bit sore at his exit.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Loyal White wrote:

Shame if he is.

It's OK to be critical, so long as it's fair, reasonaed and consistent. I don't recall him giving Cptn. Chaos too much grief. He was a big pal of the Saint, wasn't he ... so maybe a bit sore at his exit.
wasn't pulling his punches here:

(criticising the formation and "fine words")

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _Spearing/

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:57 am

yeah but by then , theyd bin relegated.

before that and he were a paid up level 3 operating coyleatan.

maybe coyle couldnt freeload enough shit to satisfy the low end of the scheme. maybe lower league football snapped him out of the brainwashing's effects.

i'm surprised john's not been kidnapped and beaten with phonebooks by the fat kitman for leaving the cult.

maybe his slight on #dougiecool means he's since been repatriated into coyleology with a tape that just repeats coyle voice saying "barclay's premier league" over and over.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:14 am

Was freedman at wolves in the "wee push" days?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Thought he was at Palace and we tried to sign him, no?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Saw a stat on the BBC we've dropped 21 points from winning positions, be it losses or draws. Can't say it's all on Dougie's head, but god damn some of it surely is. Thats almost any points dropped as we've taken...

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:26 pm

cecil.bob wrote:Saw a stat on the BBC we've dropped 21 points from winning positions, be it losses or draws. Can't say it's all on Dougie's head, but god damn some of it surely is. Thats almost any points dropped as we've taken...
I don't know the make-up of that stat but it'll be under OC and DF this season. We can't bash DF for OC's stats.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Wasn't meant to be a bash of either one. Just an appalling "holy shit" moment for me. Pretty sure DFs dropped a few points as well...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:47 pm

cecil.bob wrote:Wasn't meant to be a bash of either one. Just an appalling "holy shit" moment for me. Pretty sure DFs dropped a few points as well...
We dropped two at Blackpool - twice.
Two more home to Barnsley, for whom our new saviour equalised.
All three at home to Ipswich.
Two more at Huddersfield.
Then we left it a bit (bar Sunderland, which didn't cost points) until this Saturday.

DF's sides have dropped 11 points from winning positions. Which is more than OC's sides did, although if you were really arsed you might be able to prove we've been in front more under DF. I don't know, but we keep hearing about DF's "Italian" desire to protect leads. Hearing about the desire rather than seeing the end product.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
cecil.bob wrote:Wasn't meant to be a bash of either one. Just an appalling "holy shit" moment for me. Pretty sure DFs dropped a few points as well...
We dropped two at Blackpool - twice.
Two more home to Barnsley, for whom our new saviour equalised.
All three at home to Ipswich.
Two more at Huddersfield.
Then we left it a bit (bar Sunderland, which didn't cost points) until this Saturday.

DF's sides have dropped 11 points from winning positions. Which is more than OC's sides did, although if you were really arsed you might be able to prove we've been in front more under DF. I don't know, but we keep hearing about DF's "Italian" desire to protect leads. Hearing about the desire rather than seeing the end product.
I find this worrying. I'm not interested in calling for Freedman's head - that would be stupid - but two managers managing the same squad over a decent number of games - if one manager is a lot better than the other, then I'd expect him to get more out of the squad than the other fellah did... (unless the other fellah was already getting the most possible out of that squad...)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:02 pm

At least that really ridiculous 'keep ball' we were introduced to against Charlton has developed into a less 2 dimensional version.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:19 pm

As I see it Dougie has not noticeably improved things since OC left. However this doesn't need to be a stick to beat him with. I'm happy to subscribe to the theory that he's sorting things out behind the scenes and that this will translate into success on the pitch at some point towards the end of this, or early next season. Coyle was poor for a long time and that takes some reversing. As for managerial profile (as discussed on the Millwall thread), Coyle does have a track record as a manager, but it is limited, based on picking struggling clubs up off the floor with his undeniable enthusiasm and then moving on before he hit a plateau. many other have had early sucess but proven unsuited to the long-haul (Dowie, boothroyd...). He was the right man at the time we poached him from Burnley, but proved not to be 2 years on. No shame in that.
It's frustrating though that if you try to see the Dougie situation in a positive light you get lambasted by some. I'm not saying he's good or bad, just that he's clearly trying his best and we can't know yet whether that will be good enough. comparing him to Mick McCarthy is also pointless, who knows if McCarthy would have done any better? He may have simply inherited a less individually talented, but more motivated squad with a battling attitude, which we clearly don't have.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 pm

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/624463152?-11201:838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wales international striker Craig Davies stands as the only acquisition to date after Wanderers met a release clause in the player's contract at Barnsley.

Davies' career is yet to take him to the top flight and Freedman insists he will continue to follow a template of players displaying hunger and potential to improve when adding to his already well-stocked squad.

"Yes, we have (got more business to come), we've got one or two things," he said.

"Managers say it's very difficult for them to sign players because there's not a lot of good players out there, which is true, but I think it's doubly hard for myself and one or two other managers who have got to sign a certain type.

"The secret right now is out that I'm going to sign players that are maybe not better than the ones I've got but have got the potential and the desire to be better.

"That's hard, to go and sign potential. Trying to go and uncover and discover potential and then go and sign it. That's what I'm trying to do and I believe I'm very close with one or two players out there."
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience