Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by BL3 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 am

bobo the clown wrote:Facts are we can rate his early results or not, we can 'understand' what he's up to, or not ... but he ain't going to get the boot. Garty has always been over-loyal, if anything. It would take some doing ... or things behind the scene.

Even if you are someone who never wanted him in, suck it up coz it ain't changing anytime soon.
You think so? Eddie Davies got rid of Coyle. Gartside wanted him to stay on with Sammy Lee becoming coach. If results don't improve, the decision might be taken out of his hands again.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:26 am

Can we have some kind of BL3 alert, like, for when he's in the area...?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:31 am

BL3 wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Whookam wrote:
Enoch wrote:*pointless image*
Yes, I can clearly see the similarities between Manchester United in 1989 and Bolton Wanderers in 2013.
I can. A manager making far reaching changes behind the scenes at a club, not getting immediate results and being berated for it by impatient short-sighted fans. Then said changes kick in and club goes on an amazing run of success.

Not saying this will happen to Bolton under Dougie but I can see what he's trying to do (unlike his predecessors since Big Sam) and I like his confidence and honesty. Let's give him a chance.
The difference is that Fergie had a track record of success before he took the Utd job. He'd won league titles, domestic and European cups at Aberdeen. If you're seriously saying that Freedman's record equates to that, you're talking bollocks.
Yes but the job at Man Utd and the expectations and pressure involved are somewhat different are they not? So that balances that out.

We're not likely to get a manager who has "won trophies" certainly not European Cups.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BL3 wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Whookam wrote:
Yes, I can clearly see the similarities between Manchester United in 1989 and Bolton Wanderers in 2013.
I can. A manager making far reaching changes behind the scenes at a club, not getting immediate results and being berated for it by impatient short-sighted fans. Then said changes kick in and club goes on an amazing run of success.

Not saying this will happen to Bolton under Dougie but I can see what he's trying to do (unlike his predecessors since Big Sam) and I like his confidence and honesty. Let's give him a chance.
The difference is that Fergie had a track record of success before he took the Utd job. He'd won league titles, domestic and European cups at Aberdeen. If you're seriously saying that Freedman's record equates to that, you're talking bollocks.
Yes but the job at Man Utd and the expectations and pressure involved are somewhat different are they not? So that balances that out.

We're not likely to get a manager who has "won trophies" certainly not European Cups.
Does it fúck. A manager who has a track record of getting teams promoted from the Championship might be cut a bit of slack but Freedman doesn't even have that. The only thing in his favour at the moment is that he kept Palace up and it now looks like he's going to have to perform a similar feat with us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am

BL3 wrote:
Does it fúck. A manager who has a track record of getting teams promoted from the Championship might be cut a bit of slack but Freedman doesn't even have that. The only thing in his favour at the moment is that he kept Palace up and it now looks like he's going to have to perform a similar feat with us.
Depends how much influence you place on track record, AND what you look at.

Plenty of managers promoted sides from this division, and plenty of those managers would be incredibly bad choices for this club.

If track record was all that mattered we should have kept Megson because he had a track record of keeping sides in the premiership and Coyle did not.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: If track record was all that mattered we should have kept Megson because he had a track record of keeping sides in the premiership and Coyle did not.
not strictly true. before us, Coyle had ONE club in the premiership and he kept them in the premiership - they were still there when he left.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:07 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: If track record was all that mattered we should have kept Megson because he had a track record of keeping sides in the premiership and Coyle did not.
not strictly true. before us, Coyle had ONE club in the premiership and he kept them in the premiership - they were still there when he left.
Ermmm only by virtue of him leaving midway through their first season in there?

I mean a track record of actually completing a season and keeping a club up!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Fvck me, he sounds like Megson
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:11 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Or Allardyce..........

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Or Allardyce..........
Which bits sound like Allardyce? You're constantly trying to tell us that he's the new Allardyce.. Why's that? What has he ever done to convince you? Or are you blinded by his non-existent "Science" approach? I'm intrigued..

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 pm

I've been thinking about this... (*headache*)... and some clubs [Chelsea, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Glasgow] are characterised, determined even, by the owners, and some clubs [Arsenal, ManU] are characterised by the manager. Liverpool has had both, characterised by the manager (in the boot room era) and the owner (the yankee era). All of the examples I've given have been led by 'strong' characterisation - now note I said strong and not good, because some (like ManU) have been led into good times and others (like Blackburn under the Venkys) have been led into bad.
But, and here's the nub of my argument, I can't think of a successful club that has both anodyne management and ownership. So the question is, are we being led by characters, people who can put a stamp on the club and lead us into their vision, or not?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Or Allardyce..........
Which bits sound like Allardyce? You're constantly trying to tell us that he's the new Allardyce.. Why's that? What has he ever done to convince you? Or are you blinded by his non-existent "Science" approach? I'm intrigued..
For example.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... luded.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the bit in bold that is simply not true. You are trying to polarise an argument. I've said some things about him remind me of Allardyce. That is as far as it goes.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Or Allardyce..........
For example.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... luded.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the bit in bold that is simply not true. You are trying to polarise an argument. I've said some things about him remind me of Allardyce. That is as far as it goes.
That's got nothing to do with Bolton Wanderers....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:38 pm

BL3 wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Whookam wrote:

I would indeed be talking boll0cks, just as well that's quite clearly not what I'm saying.

I can see what Enoch was getting at and advocating patience that's what I was actually saying.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Big difference is BSA was at the right end of the table with results and points in the bag to back him up. Freedman should be carefull having a subtle dig at the fans, all fur coat and no knickers springs to mind so far!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:here's the nub of my argument, I can't think of a successful club that has both anodyne management and ownership. So the question is, are we being led by characters, people who can put a stamp on the club and lead us into their vision, or not?
Refreshingly interesting question Mr Lost Leopard Spot. Subjective of course, as everyone's view of who is and isn't anodyne will be different.

Without getting into that discussion, do you think authority is something that travels with the individual, or is it a position that can be earned?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Enoch wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:here's the nub of my argument, I can't think of a successful club that has both anodyne management and ownership. So the question is, are we being led by characters, people who can put a stamp on the club and lead us into their vision, or not?
Refreshingly interesting question Mr Lost Leopard Spot. Subjective of course, as everyone's view of who is and isn't anodyne will be different.

Without getting into that discussion, do you think authority is something that travels with the individual, or is it a position that can be earned?
Authority can be given to any so n so respect for the use of it has to be earned

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Enoch wrote:

I think it's the leadership/management question in a nutshell - what separates a Manager from a Leader. Therefore my answer is that authority travels with the individual.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:24 pm

It's like Yoda school, this.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:26 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:It's like Yoda school, this.
:lol:
You can appoint a manager, but you cannot appoint a leader, grasshopper!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください