Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by boltonboris » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:So on that basis.. people were too down on Coyle and they're too forgiving of Dougie?....
and the same players by and large produce broadly similar results whoever is in charge...
So may be the best clue too Dougie will be how he does with his own players..?

funny despite the stats two clean sheets away from home in a row looks like some progress to me..
[and for the record I still think it was an odd appointment.. still on the fence...]
Ermm surely the stats show that Coyle got away with murder and even though we are still not at the level required, far from it we are at least slowly getting better.
You don't half enjoy hyperbole. "Assault", "murder", "attack" & "a cancer"

You're a bit of a bell-end at times.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:So on that basis.. people were too down on Coyle and they're too forgiving of Dougie?....
and the same players by and large produce broadly similar results whoever is in charge...

funny despite the stats two clean sheets away from home in a row looks like some progress to me..
[and for the record I still think it was an odd appointment.. still on the fence...]
Ermm surely the stats show that Coyle got away with murder and even though we are still not at the level required, far from it we are at least slowly getting better.
possibly but 0.2 goals a game improvement is not much basis for huge confidence that a corner has been turned...
as Coyle was apparently the worst manager for a generation, tactical pygmy, useless in the transfer market, unable to change a game from the bench and the rest...
Don't get me wrong.. Coyle was pish 1 less goal conceded every 5 games isn't exactly evidence of the Messiah imv..
if Coyle was phoning it in, you'd could have expected a somewhat more dramatic improvement. If it was as easy as all that...?

like I said two away clean sheets on the bounce, a bit more solidity and confidence are good enough for me but I never expected us to get straight back up this year never mind without breaking a sweat...
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:15 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You don't half enjoy hyperbole. "Assault", "murder", "attack" & "a cancer"

You're a bit of a bell-end at times.
Can he write that with a marker pen?

Dartisan
Promising
Promising

Post by Dartisan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:13 pm

I've had a look at their respective stats for this season in The Championship, as I feel they're most like-for-like.
(In The Championship) under Freedman we score more & concede less than under Coyle.
Coyle goals For avg: 1.3, Against: 1.6
Freedman goals For avg: 1.43, Against: 1.29

...for an even more like for like Freedman's after 10 Championship games (Coyle had 10 Championship games here before the chop, Freedman has currently 14):
For avg: 1.7, Against: 1.5

...so, our goal scoring improvement has very much tailed off in the last 4, but in pay-off our defensive record has very much improved.
Points per game averages - Coyle: 1.1, Freedman: 1.29, Freedman after 10: 1.4.

So I'd agree it's nothing radical, but I think it's hard to suggest that Freedman has done anything other than improve things based on those stats.
Everything but the game: Because it's not just a game, it's a way of life.

Dartisan
Promising
Promising

Post by Dartisan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 pm

...oh & I also think it's easy to be deceived on the margins of improvement because these are small fractions involved. Lets not forget that top Prem teams (Utd, City, Arsenal) are getting around the 2.0 goals for per game. A 0.2 or 0.3 improvement is statistically significant.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Correct, tho I suppose most of us (& certainly me) had got to the point of believing Coyle was SOOOO hopeless that almost anyone would be better ... & so achieve an improvement.

Certainly of this level & probably some way more.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dartisan
Promising
Promising

Post by Dartisan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Correct, tho I suppose most of us (& certainly me) had got to the point of believing Coyle was SOOOO hopeless that almost anyone would be better ... & so achieve an improvement.

It'd be rather harsh not to allow Freedman any credit though on the basis of 'well lets face it anything breathing could improve on that shower' wouldn't it. He'd be damned if he did, damned if he didn't otherwise :)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Dartisan wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Correct, tho I suppose most of us (& certainly me) had got to the point of believing Coyle was SOOOO hopeless that almost anyone would be better ... & so achieve an improvement.

It'd be rather harsh not to allow Freedman any credit though on the basis of 'well lets face it anything breathing could improve on that shower' wouldn't it. He'd be damned if he did, damned if he didn't otherwise :)
Agreed ... but I would have expected more without, I believe, being unrealistic.

Still, it IS better than under Coyle.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:56 pm

23 goals in 18 games now - so - going in the wrong direction..... ;-)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm

thebish wrote:23 goals in 18 games now - so - going in the wrong direction..... ;-)
What's happened to your 'pm' button ?

Feeling above the rest of us now you're in Devon, are we ??

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Given results you'd be mad not to be the fence, but I'm leaning to Dougie's side of it.He takes a measured view of things and talks sense unlike Coyle. We got quick results under Coyle like McCarthy has at Ipswich, but where did it get us in the long run?

I don't think people are being too forgiving, just sensible enough not to judge too soon.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:43 pm

Surely it's meaningless comparing the 2 records :conf:

Coyle had 3 years to build his team and get the stats being quoted on here
Dougies had 5 minutes.

If after 3 years Dougie's ppg record isn't significantly better than it is right now or Coyles was when he left, then he's been a flop.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Sage words Mr Harry Genshaw, meaningless for sure, but fun no doubt for those that do so.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:45 pm

This is a quote from Ream in the BN about life under Freedman and the differences to what went before.
“We are more organised. We have a set way of playing and a set position for guys to play in. It has definitely helped out some guys by giving an idea of where they should be instead of just willy-nilly. From an organisation point, it is a pretty big difference.”
Another damning quote hammering the final nail in the 'Coyle wasn't a joke' coffin!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:This is a quote from Ream in the BN about life under Freedman and the differences to what went before.
“We are more organised. We have a set way of playing and a set position for guys to play in. It has definitely helped out some guys by giving an idea of where they should be instead of just willy-nilly. From an organisation point, it is a pretty big difference.”
Another damning quote hammering the final nail in the 'Coyle wasn't a joke' coffin!
Ream might be a good example of a beneficiary from such a change. One of the qualities he lacks, along with physical strength, is a defender's instinct of where to position himself, so in that sense he relies on the system telling him where to be more than others might.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:09 am

Similar to some other references but very, very telling ".... giving an idea of where they should be instead of just willy-nilly."

The more is revealed the more I think Bolton Wanderers FC should sue the guy for Corporate Negligence.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:32 am

bobo the clown wrote:Similar to some other references but very, very telling ".... giving an idea of where they should be instead of just willy-nilly."

The more is revealed the more I think Bolton Wanderers FC should sue the guy for Corporate Negligence.
More like string gartside up by his balls!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:46 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... s/10188447._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Performance-wise, we’ve been decent this last three or four games.

“We just need to get a bit consistent. We have a mentality where we’re always hanging on and I don’t like that. I want to be on the front foot.

“I have got to look at the next three or four days and maybe change some players, get things going again.”
“Yes, I do need to change one or two players, to get a different mentality in the group, some different dynamics in the group, change the culture a little bit but there are certainly good performances there.

“I think we need to change one or two that have probably been here and done it and move on from there so what we can achieve is looking forward to next week, working hard on the training ground and improving players.”
Which is an interesting quote. Considering a guy sat next to me in the ESL on Saturday was adamant to the point of anger when someone questioned him, that Kevin Davies has already been told there will be no new contract........

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... s/10188447._/
“Performance-wise, we’ve been decent this last three or four games.

“We just need to get a bit consistent. We have a mentality where we’re always hanging on and I don’t like that. I want to be on the front foot.

“I have got to look at the next three or four days and maybe change some players, get things going again.”
“Yes, I do need to change one or two players, to get a different mentality in the group, some different dynamics in the group, change the culture a little bit but there are certainly good performances there.

“I think we need to change one or two that have probably been here and done it and move on from there so what we can achieve is looking forward to next week, working hard on the training ground and improving players.”
Which is an interesting quote. Considering a guy sat next to me in the ESL on Saturday was adamant to the point of anger when someone questioned him, that Kevin Davies has already been told there will be no new contract........
I figured Tom Eaves getting a new contract was an indication that SKD might not be.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 am

That HAS to be Knight and SKD.

Maybe Ricketts too, but I do hope not. Possibly Eagles.

Mind you, by then we'd be a proper Div 2 club !!