Bogdan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

HM Murdock
Hopeful
Hopeful

Bogdan

Post by HM Murdock » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Surprised there isn't already a thread about him

Looks more and more suspect as the games go on. I know the defence can't be giving him confidence, but I just don't think he's good enough. Looks clueless at set pieces, and flaps like mad when he does go for one.

Too many times he's parried a shot straight to the nearest opposition player, or fumbled a cross and its cost us, that it makes me think a GK is needed come the January window, even if its just a loan. I realise that with Lonergan out, we are stuck with him, but we should never have sold Al-Habsi and then let Jussi go.

Thoughts? Good enough or not?
West Stand White

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Bogdan

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:00 pm

I think he has the potential to be good for us. But he's still a relatively young lad, especially for a goalkeeper, and the past 2 years can't have helped his confidence or his belief in the slightest. I think what he needs, for his own good, is a couple of games out of the firing line, where he can try and rebuild what's left of his self-belief.

For the record, I thought last season was the right time to phase Jussi out. It's been hard seeing him at the Spammers, but I think we've definitely seen his best years. I also think it was a mistake to let Al Habsi go; not that he'd have been the difference between relegation and staying up last year or anything, I just think he's a better keeper than both Jussi and Bogdan as things stand right now.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:05 pm

selling al habsi was one almighty gaffe by the management of the club and one i called as such when it happened. bogdan was pretty hot & cold last season but he seems to have regressed. as has been said, completely uncommanding of his box.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:08 pm

truewhite15 wrote:I think he has the potential to be good for us. But he's still a relatively young lad, especially for a goalkeeper, and the past 2 years can't have helped his confidence or his belief in the slightest. I think what he needs, for his own good, is a couple of games out of the firing line, where he can try and rebuild what's left of his self-belief.

For the record, I thought last season was the right time to phase Jussi out. It's been hard seeing him at the Spammers, but I think we've definitely seen his best years. I also think it was a mistake to let Al Habsi go; not that he'd have been the difference between relegation and staying up last year or anything, I just think he's a better keeper than both Jussi and Bogdan as things stand right now.
Clearly then we should have let Jussi go a year earlier and kept Al-Habsi. It would have made the relegation difference too as Wigan would have gone down without AAH instead of us. At the time I felt Jussi should go and make AAH number one after his initial loan to Wigan. It was not a view generally shared. However, all of this is what we call Monday morning quarterbacking over here.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:34 pm

It was a MASSIVE mistake selling AAH to Wigan - no doubt about it - it cost us a place in the PL :cry:

However, Bogdan is a young lad, and like alot of our team is short of confidence after the last joke regime. Lets see if DF can improve his confidence and get him playing to a higher standard. I've been guilty of slagging him off in the past but with no one else in the team to replace him then we'd best support him. (for the time being)
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:40 pm

At the time I could understand selling Al Habsi. However I was wrong and it has turned into a big error of judgement by the club.

The decision at the time, did seem to make sense. Hindsight of course is a wonderful thing in these decisions.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:02 pm

I don't rate Bogdan, always said he's got a blunder a game in him. I'm not buying into this 'he's young for a keeper' thing because he's not, at 25 the fundamentals of his game are established and he is what he is.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Whookam wrote:I don't rate Bogdan, always said he's got a blunder a game in him. I'm not buying into this 'he's young for a keeper' thing because he's not, at 25 the fundamentals of his game are established and he is what he is.
I think when he came in he was decent.
Goalie more than any other is a confidence position
I'd favour the rebuild his confidence under new team..
I think shifting Fred Barbour on seems to be the worst decision amongst many contenders in the last three seasons.
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:At the time I could understand selling Al Habsi. However I was wrong and it has turned into a big error of judgement by the club.

The decision at the time, did seem to make sense. Hindsight of course is a wonderful thing in these decisions.
at the time, Jussi was going nowhere - he wasn't in demand and he didn't want to leave - he was on fat wages with a contract to run down. Habsi was desperate to leave to get guaranteed 1st team football and was in demand and saleable.

had we kept Jussi. but promoted Habsi - and Jussi had sat on the bench with a fat wedge winding down his contract for over 2 years - people would (rightly) have called it lunacy

had we kept Jussi and not sold Habsi - but kept Jussi as no.1 - then Habsi would have been unhappy - we'd have got nowt out of him and he'd have wound down his contract and eventually gone on a free - and we'd have lost the 4mill or so that we sold him for...

can't really see why you would now decide that it was a "big error of judgement".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:33 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:At the time I could understand selling Al Habsi. However I was wrong and it has turned into a big error of judgement by the club.

at the time, Jussi was going nowhere - he wasn't in demand and he didn't want to leave - he was on fat wages with a contract to run down. Habsi was desperate to leave to get guaranteed 1st team football and was in demand and saleable.

had we kept Jussi. but promoted Habsi - and Jussi had sat on the bench with a fat wedge winding down his contract for over 2 years - people would (rightly) have called it lunacy

had we kept Jussi and not sold Habsi - but kept Jussi as no.1 - then Habsi would have been unhappy - we'd have got nowt out of him and he'd have wound down his contract and eventually gone on a free - and we'd have lost the 4mill or so that we sold him for...

can't really see why you would now decide that it was a "big error of judgement".
It was an error of judgement in that we sold a player for 4M who is now being touted for double that amount. In addition we sold him to what turned into a relegation rival.

I'm not saying I'd have done any different at the time, for the reasons you have stated.

But in hindsight I'd definitely have kept him. As I'm sure would BWFC.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:39 pm

if at the time we made the decision it was the right decision to make - then it was the right decision.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:39 pm

thebish wrote:

Some people either can't or won't see that the club are no longer prepared to let players run down their contracts and leave on a free. That's why we sold Matt Taylor and that's why we sold Al Habsi.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:45 pm

It was unfortunate timing that as Jussi regressed, Al-Habsi started to improve. But the bloke in regression was earning big money and still under contract. Also at that time, they'd met in the middle in terms of ability and there was no way we could keep them both happy. We HAD to let go of one of them. It was always going to be the saleable asset.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:59 pm

truewhite15 wrote:I think he has the potential to be good for us. But he's still a relatively young lad, especially for a goalkeeper, and the past 2 years can't have helped his confidence or his belief in the slightest. I think what he needs, for his own good, is a couple of games out of the firing line, where he can try and rebuild what's left of his self-belief.

Totally agree re Bogdan,he needs his confidence building and could do with a break( a solid loanie would make a lot of sense for a month or two) If he stays in the first team an improving defence may help but he just looks so vulnerable on crosses now and that punch on saturday said a lot for where he is at mentally.

Like Bish said the al habsi thing made sense at the time. I think our real error was not giving al habsi his chance the season after he came in.You could see he was a good keeper then. It would have been brave but he should have been number one. I'm sure Big sam would have taken Jussi off our hands for a nominal fee.

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:08 pm

HM Murdock wrote:Surprised there isn't already a thread about him

Looks more and more suspect as the games go on. I know the defence can't be giving him confidence, but I just don't think he's good enough. Looks clueless at set pieces, and flaps like mad when he does go for one.

Too many times he's parried a shot straight to the nearest opposition player, or fumbled a cross and its cost us, that it makes me think a GK is needed come the January window, even if its just a loan. I realise that with Lonergan out, we are stuck with him, but we should never have sold Al-Habsi and then let Jussi go.

Thoughts? Good enough or not?
I said it before, but for me Coyles biggest mistake, I hoped Bogdan would come on, but he's just not, Hes not even a great shot stopper and as our defence isnt great at the moment, i cant see us keeping a clean sheet for a while. Saying that it must be very demoralising haveing goals fly in past you every week ?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Who is the gk coach now? is it still that muppet coyle employed? I think Bogdan can still be a too keeper but he needs some coaching...asap.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:11 pm

It was an error, & I did cakl it back then, to sell Ali. Jussi never failed to hold the club to contract ransom & though he'd been great we actually could have sold him on. Not for £gazzilions, but we'd have got something & both Arsenal & Stretford, to name just 2, were looking for competition for the position & he'd have taken his chance.

Selling a younger version to a local & relegation rival was madness.

Boggers is an OK keeper, but we need a GOOD keeper & he's far from that right now.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:43 pm

still think he is excellent and if he had a good defense in front of him he might have a chance
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:05 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:still think he is excellent and if he had a good defense in front of him he might have a chance
That'll be due to you being a fckg idiot, I guess.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:05 pm

Wish I could say I thought different, but I didn't. That said, I kind of feel for Boggers. I think he has some potential to be a decent keeper, but his confidence has to be shattered, we haven't had a clean sheet in how long? Whens the last time we had two back to back? Not sure what the long term solution is, but we ought to try and find someone to coem in on loan in January...