BWSA last night

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: BWSA last night

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 am

officer_dibble wrote:Pet hate of mine.

Its McGinlay.

Cheers for the summary though, interesting super john pulle no punches on his mate - I got fed up of his constant defense of Coyle before he got here, but fair does I suppose.

It's pull! :wink:

dave1980
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dave1980 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:43 am

the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:When did this odd-ball of a loan market close? We only took this lad from Norwich a week or so ago. surely we can arrange an extension for Warnock, NOW?
The loan market closes next week I think, regardless the maximum short term loan period is 3 months.

We might be able to extend it but it would have to be until the end of the season which might not suit villa

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:24 am

midlands exile wrote:Reassuring to hear about the steps being introduced to turn things around.

Sickening to hear that the suspicions about Owen Coyle's slipshod approach to preparing the squad all seem to be true.
Even Tom Eaves has been amazed at how much he is learning under mark McGhee. If chairmen etc pick up on the sort of comments being made about coyle you'd be surprised if he got another job.

Actually they are not comments about coyle directly just observations of managers who actually manage which I suppose is an eye opener after OC

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:34 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
midlands exile wrote:Reassuring to hear about the steps being introduced to turn things around.

Sickening to hear that the suspicions about Owen Coyle's slipshod approach to preparing the squad all seem to be true.
Even Tom Eaves has been amazed at how much he is learning under mark McGhee. If chairmen etc pick up on the sort of comments being made about coyle you'd be surprised if he got another job.

Actually they are not comments about coyle directly just observations of managers who actually manage which I suppose is an eye opener after OC
... on another tack, shouldn't our club captain and great leader be taking a youngster who plays in a similar position under his wing a little ? Or would Emma object ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:46 am

Hate to say this, but all that stuff about Lee being promoted to a first team role, then a change of heart from Gartside and/or Davies was in an article by Nixon at the time.....

As for Warnock I believe outside the normal windows you can only do 3 months max as they are referred to as 'emergency loans'. I suspect we will have to wait till January to see if we can get him back till the end of the season, if we do indeed want to!
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:02 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

... on another tack, shouldn't our club captain and great leader be taking a youngster who plays in a similar position under his wing a little ? Or would Emma object ?
Bingo wing?

I dont know,I'm sure he can take advice and pick up froma lot of players including KD but it doesnt sound like he is a like for like KD player at present. Infact the lad he replaced(injured) sounds more like KD. Immobile and falls over a lot gives away too many fouls
Hopkirk or summat like that.Did bag 2o goals last season. They reckon Eaves playing off this fella would be their dream ticket.
Eaves game at present sounds more like Ngogs but with more goals(yes at an easier level) and poorer hold up play.Although another comment suggests he does link play well and clearly they believe he can play off a target man in the old school style.
Reading between the lines what he doesnt do well is keep the ball when its lumped at him above waist height with a big hairy div 2 centreback up his backside. Id suggest should that ability be necessary then upperbody work is the key provided it doesnt lead to loss of pace.

I suppose its worth noting that when KD was 20 he was a quick tricky winger performing eyecatching giantkilling acts with chesterfield.Very different to the role he developed as he got older.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote: it doesnt sound like he is a like for like KD player at present. Infact the lad he replaced(injured) sounds more like KD. Immobile and falls over a lot gives away too many foulsI suppose its worth noting that when KD was 20 he was a quick tricky winger performing eyecatching giantkilling acts with chesterfield.Very different to the role he developed as he got older.
Yesterday's hero, today's scapegoat. 600 league games, probably our most uninjured player ever, a total hero, Chuck Norris in football boots. And his only sin is he's 35. KD knows his place in things (he even says so in an article in today's BN) and that he's no longer automatic choice up front. He's slower, but anything but immobile and still has a lot to offer. To get another KD would be almost a miracle. That said, I've only seen him play once this season, but I find it hard to believe he's as rubbish as some claim. It will really be the end of an era when he finally hangs up his boots.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:37 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote: it doesnt sound like he is a like for like KD player at present. Infact the lad he replaced(injured) sounds more like KD. Immobile and falls over a lot gives away too many foulsI suppose its worth noting that when KD was 20 he was a quick tricky winger performing eyecatching giantkilling acts with chesterfield.Very different to the role he developed as he got older.
Yesterday's hero, today's scapegoat. 600 league games, probably our most uninjured player ever, a total hero, Chuck Norris in football boots. And his only sin is he's 35. KD knows his place in things (he even says so in an article in today's BN) and that he's no longer automatic choice up front. He's slower, but anything but immobile and still has a lot to offer. To get another KD would be almost a miracle. That said, I've only seen him play once this season, but I find it hard to believe he's as rubbish as some claim. It will really be the end of an era when he finally hangs up his boots.
I should have qualified what I said better. I certainly think KD has a role to play still but he is getting slower and less mobile and he does tend to give away freekicks and fall down more. He's done well for us this season most of the time and provided he is used appropriately will continue to do well for us.I dont agree with those who would write KD off at all. I thought he was poor last year and said as much but what I've seen of him this year he's looked fresher and anything but finished. Just not really up to starting week in week out and playing 90 mins.
It was just curious to be reading the same criticisms of another player by another set of fans and noting the similarities in the way they were describing eaves(similar to Ngog primarily). Like KD the lad at Bristol R has done a great job and although they think eaves is an improvement they want the other player back ideally for eaves to play off.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Amended. KD has played 600 league games. Post edited.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Amended. KD has played 600 league games. Post edited.
Starting today in a 442 . Wonder if Ngog will finally start to work out how to play off him. In theory they should compliment each other pretty well but they never seemed to gell under coyle.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Starting today in a 442 . Wonder if Ngog will finally start to work out how to play off him. In theory they should compliment each other pretty well but they never seemed to gell under coyle.
n'Gog was played on the wing to accommodate him. Pointless.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:53 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
n'Gog was played on the wing to accommodate him. Pointless.
Thats a curious one.A proper 442 would have made sense today.KD needs players to get around him if he's starting otherwise there is no point putting him up there.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:46 am

They did get players around him at times but the Barnsley defence were first to every knock down. And the ref seemed to blow for a free kick nearly every time KD challenged for a ball.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Aye. when a prick like that is reffing kev should be subbed at half time. pointless.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:57 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Aye. when a prick like that is reffing kev should be subbed at half time. pointless.
Or swapping positions with the striker on the wing for a bit. When I saw how they lined up at the start I was expecting KD to drift out with their big CB and N'Gog to come inside more. Didn't happen.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:09 pm

If Kevin had started to move out wide then he may have just made it now. Its about time he put his body on the line for crossess as well if he's the main man up top. He can finish which his goal showed, but only with that last diving header do I recall him getting a meaningfull effort from a cross aimed at him.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:38 pm

He drifted out wide when Anelka was here (a certain Mr Evra still has the bruises to show for it!). When I saw N'gog lining up on the right at kick off yesterday I was expecting them to keep switching round but it just didn't happen.

Joggers Nipple
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Joggers Nipple » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 pm

I'd love to see SKD at Centre Back - I think he'd take to it no problem & could extend his career by a couple of seasons.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Have you SEEN him tackle?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:24 pm

There's more to being a CB than being good in the air...
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"