Petrov. The managers best friend.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Petrov. The managers best friend.

Post by Mar » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Somethings gone wrong with the Petrov situation. He's one of our more talented players and was the reason we could see fit to sell Matty Taylor, but yet we've not been utilizing Petrov as much as i'd expect many would've thought.

As far as I know Petrov got a contract extension for playing over the required number of games to trigger a contract extension and he chose to use it. Could he have yet another clause in his contract that could add another year and is this the reason for his exclusion? He's not been completely drafted out of the selected 18 players so it would suggest he's in contention but there must be a reason we're not using him. Other reports suggest that he's thrown his toys out of the pram and is sulking about the situation we currently find ourselves in.

Anyone know the actual reason?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Petrov. The managers best friend.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:48 pm

This league is about rolling your sleeves up and scrapping.

Petrov is not that sort of player.

He doesn't produce enough quality consistently enough to counteract his lack of fight either.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:50 pm

I reckon that he's been nabbed on charges of East European war atrocities. He looks the sort.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:This league is about rolling your sleeves up and scrapping.

Petrov is not that sort of player.

He doesn't produce enough quality consistently enough to counteract his lack of fight either.
You see, that's the received view .... but it's bllx.

He works as hard as anyone. He is never aa defensive minded person but has done all he could to cover that.

Meanwhile his attacking play is outstanding ... except we have fckg no-body who makes the most of his delivery.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 pm

First error of the new staff. Falling out with, and effectively killing off one of the most dangerous players in this league.

With 2 defensive midfielders its more than possible to control this myth of a lack of defensive effort on Petrovs side.
But no. Drop him. Fall out with him because they're almost as clueless as the previous lot.
Petrov is gone in Jan. what a bloody waste.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I reckon that he's been nabbed on charges of East European war atrocities. He looks the sort.
Aye, he's not yer actual Father Christmas lookalike is he? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:31 pm

the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:First error of the new staff. Falling out with, and effectively killing off one of the most dangerous players in this league.

With 2 defensive midfielders its more than possible to control this myth of a lack of defensive effort on Petrovs side.
But no. Drop him. Fall out with him because they're almost as clueless as the previous lot.
Petrov is gone in Jan. what a bloody waste.
And how do you know they've fallen out with him?

I find it mystifying that Petrov is hailed as a brilliant player, yet in all his games for us he's produced precious little. The odd spell here or there, the odd goal, but ive not seen him do enough consistently especially this season to warrant a place week in week out.

It's patently obvious we can't carry him, lee, Eagles and Mark Davies in the same side. Someone has to miss out.

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:44 pm

You don't have to be Sherlock to see they guy is on his way.
And that's even without knowing folk who work at the training ground.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:28 pm

He works as hard as Lee and Eagles do, so it's clearly not that.

If I were to have a guess, it would be that the manager doesn't see him fitting in how he wants us to play at the minute. Darting down the wing and firing across an early ball is Petrov's thing, but who is going to be there to meet it?

Ultimately until we can get a striker in, I'd probably agree that our best bet is to get the ball up to Eagles/Chungy/Mark Davies/Butterfield and let them create.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:30 pm

Tombwfc wrote:He works as hard as Lee and Eagles do, so it's clearly not that.

If I were to have a guess, it would be that the manager doesn't see him fitting in how he wants us to play at the minute. Darting down the wing and firing across an early ball is Petrov's thing, but who is going to be there to meet it?

Ultimately until we can get a striker in, I'd probably agree that our best bet is to get the ball up to Eagles/Chungy/Mark Davies/Butterfield and let them create.

I think this theory is far more likely than BWFCi's...

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:This league is about rolling your sleeves up and scrapping
Unless you're the Captain.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Bollocks

When LCY was injured he worked harder than Petrov

Not doubting his ability just his attitude

We can't play them all together mavies and eagles are doing the bizzo and where trying to get Chungy is back to his best (going by the radio he had a good game yesterday)
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Tombwfc wrote:He works as hard as Lee and Eagles do, so it's clearly not that.

Aye I would agree with this. feck all use banginf crossess into ngog and davies most of the time.

wembley1995
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wembley1995 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:17 pm

heard down the grapevine its his attitude in training that lets him down

lethargic and lazy and wont chip in ive heard

friend of a friend of jay spearing (im not talking bollocks by the way)
We're bolton wanderers we'll fight to the END!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:05 am

So because our strikers are shit, we drop the winger? Maybe we could just ask the striker to the most basic of basic tasks. Get in the box and attack the front stick.

I've banged this drum numerous times, but you just never see our strikers making runs or trying to create space in the box. They just kind of saunter in about 5 seconds after a delivery with a "you could have waited for me" look in their eye.

Not when 4 midfielders got there before you you dicks
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 am

A guy who sits near me actually said against Ipswich (re: Davo's leisurely walk into the opposition half) "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"

Tricks.... Feckin tricks. Like attacking a cross is some incredible Ronaldinho style skill
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:22 am

Big mistake if we let Petrov go IMHO its the strikers we should be looking at.
What was it the England manager once told Lofthouse, something like his wingers will put the ball in the box just make sure your on the end of it?
You don't need or succeed with an entire team of Megson shifters, we've been there and then the decline started.
Mark my words, Mavies will cost us more games than Petrov this or any other season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:06 am

boltonboris wrote:So because our strikers are shit, we drop the winger? Maybe we could just ask the striker to the most basic of basic tasks. Get in the box and attack the front stick.

I've banged this drum numerous times, but you just never see our strikers making runs or trying to create space in the box. They just kind of saunter in about 5 seconds after a delivery with a "you could have waited for me" look in their eye.

Kevin Davies' main fecking failing is his inability to make proper runs into the box. Or even to look like he wants to get into the area to score.

I agree with you here. Its infuriating the number of times he'll stand on the edge of the box looking disinterested. But then NGog is hardly great at making the near post run either.

The greatest myth is that Davies is a great header of the ball in the opponents box. He isn't. He rarely gets there.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:07 am

wembley1995 wrote:heard down the grapevine its his attitude in training that lets him down

lethargic and lazy and wont chip in ive heard

friend of a friend of jay spearing (im not talking bollocks by the way)
Yes, I undertand Dougie values effort in training above all else. .... Which is a shame .... coz ability & skill should count for something as well.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:So because our strikers are shit, we drop the winger? Maybe we could just ask the striker to the most basic of basic tasks. Get in the box and attack the front stick.

Kevin Davies' main fecking failing is his inability to make proper runs into the box. Or even to look like he wants to get into the area to score.

I agree with you here. Its infuriating the number of times he'll stand on the edge of the box looking disinterested. But then NGog is hardly great at making the near post run either.

The greatest myth is that Davies is a great header of the ball in the opponents box. He isn't. He rarely gets there.
After 17,447 posts something I can finally agree with you on :mrgreen:

I think under BSA the idea was to pull the CB's out with him but that don't happen now because they know the threat ain't real.