Boltons worst EVER result in your opinion???

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Boltons worst EVER result in your opinion???

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:56 am

For me it would have to be the 2-1 loss to Boro in the League cup final. We didn't let in a bag full, but to queue for 8 hours for tickets through the freezing cold at the Reebok and then the long trip to Cardiff along with all the excitement and then we concede 2 in the opening 7 minutes :( I was devastated to say the least.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:The Stoke & Utd hammerings were results that left me bleedin furious.

Tranmere in the play off final was heart breaking but for the absolute crowning turd in the water pipe it has to be;

2-2 at home to Aldershot. 8 years of constant decline that finally ended with us relegated to division 4. Typically we couldn't just go down but they had to give us a glimmer of hope right up to the 120th minute that we might get out of it :whack:
I've only read so far so I expect to see this game pop up a couple of times but I was at the away leg and that was pretty awful too.

The sight of David Felgate hopping on a broken foot as their striker (almost apologetically) smashed home the desicive goal will stay with me forever.

I once asked my mate Phil Neal why he didn't substitue Felgate and go in goal himself (as he had done previously for Liverpool) and he said he felt that they would 'be able to protect him'.

Seeing as we'd not done much of that for the previous year I couldn't quite work out his logic. But that was Phil.

There are so many great bad memories that it's hard to recall them all.

Doncaster, Darlington, Scarborough, York, Halifax, Crawley, the eventual defeat to Swindon it's hard to choose a personal favourite from the massive bag of demoralising losses but I'd say Aldershot and the York game (2-1 to them) where we all realised we'd blown it stand out amongst the crowd.

All this just makes you appreciate the good times even more.

God I miss those good times.

Come on you whites!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:51 pm

I suppose, all said and done, the 53 Cup Final has to be the real heartbreaker. 3-1 up at half time and looking all over. Lost 4-3 in the dying minutes and at 14 years old it seemed like the end of the world. Took five years to get that magic back, beating United 2-0 and seeing Lofty bring the cup home. Worst and Best.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:55 am

TANGODANCER wrote:I suppose, all said and done, the 53 Cup Final has to be the real heartbreaker. 3-1 up at half time and looking all over. Lost 4-3 in the dying minutes and at 14 years old it seemed like the end of the world. Took five years to get that magic back, beating United 2-1 and seeing Lofty bring the cup home. Worst and Best.
2-0 methinks! :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:19 pm

PC1978 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:I suppose, all said and done, the 53 Cup Final has to be the real heartbreaker. 3-1 up at half time and looking all over. Lost 4-3 in the dying minutes and at 14 years old it seemed like the end of the world. Took five years to get that magic back, beating United 2-1 and seeing Lofty bring the cup home. Worst and Best.
2-0 methinks! :D
Methinks I should take more care typing. Original edited. Thanks.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Bolton 0 Watford 2

Lost us Eidur
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Coffeymagic, I'm fairly sure Felgate was on one leg in the home game against Aldershot. One of very few clubs to be relegated via the play-offs. There's probably a quiz question in that.
BL3 wrote:Scarborough 3 (or was it 4?) Bolton 0, they'd only been a league club for five minutes.
It was four. It was dreadful. It was the second weekend of our first experience in Division Four. As far as the club goes, it was the nadir. But as far as the soul goes, William nails it:
William the White wrote:(...)losing to the vile mancs in such a way was totally, totally unbearable, and the atmosphere in the ground that horrible day was as poisonous as I've known (not anger, not despair, something hard to define... something like fury mixed with incredulity, hurt and impotence...).

This is not the most disappointing result I've experienced, there's a good few cup ties that beat it, but it is, by a distance the most soul-destroying I've ever been through...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Coffeymagic, I'm fairly sure Felgate was on one leg in the home game against Aldershot. One of very few clubs to be relegated via the play-offs. There's probably a quiz question in that.
BL3 wrote:Scarborough 3 (or was it 4?) Bolton 0, they'd only been a league club for five minutes.
It was four. It was dreadful. It was the second weekend of our first experience in Division Four. As far as the club goes, it was the nadir. But as far as the soul goes, William nails it:
William the White wrote:(...)losing to the vile mancs in such a way was totally, totally unbearable, and the atmosphere in the ground that horrible day was as poisonous as I've known (not anger, not despair, something hard to define... something like fury mixed with incredulity, hurt and impotence...).

This is not the most disappointing result I've experienced, there's a good few cup ties that beat it, but it is, by a distance the most soul-destroying I've ever been through...
Hmmm. I'm not convinced losing 6-0 at home to Utd was the worst or most depressing THAT season.

By that point we were as good as doomed, it had been a thoroughly miserable season with very few redeeming features.

As painful as it was getting thoroughly battered by a Utd side with Scholes, Giggs etc just about coming to their pomp, it was hardly surprising and yes it hurt for a week.

But nowhere near as much IMO as the last gasp Forest equaliser (was it Stuart Pearce) that season at a point where IIRC, there was still some, albeit faint, but some hope of survival.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Some ale got supped that day before and after the match, was it a 5pm kick off on a Sunday?

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:53 pm

jaffka wrote:Some ale got supped that day before and after the match, was it a 5pm kick off on a Sunday?
I seem to remember changing the clock the night before, forwards an hour I think.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:55 pm

PC1978 wrote:
jaffka wrote:Some ale got supped that day before and after the match, was it a 5pm kick off on a Sunday?
I seem to remember changing the clock the night before, forwards an hour I think.
Was it? I must have been really pi**ed :lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Hmmm. I'm not convinced losing 6-0 at home to Utd was the worst or most depressing THAT season.

By that point we were as good as doomed, it had been a thoroughly miserable season with very few redeeming features.
Indeed, we were awful for most of the season and fully expected relegation. So all we asked for, in our first visit by our most hated "rivals" for a generation, was to put up a fight. We failed miserably - as McGinlay lamented after the game, we couldn't even get a booking - and their gleeful players and fans revelled in ripping us apart.

With hindsight it mattered little to the table, and with even greater hindsight there was nascent brilliance in that young team, but William is right - there was a curious feeling of utter disbelief at what was going on, that the game we'd all longed for (the first we looked for on the fixture list) turned into a prolonged agony of torture.

Some results affect the brain – I'd still vote that Scarborough 4 Bolton 0 was "Boltons worst EVER result" – but that was a bewildering winding, a punch to the solar plexus. I've never felt quite like it before or since - and I've seen us lose heavily, lose mystifyingly, lose play-off finals, cup finals, semi-finals, vital relegation battles, other derbies, games we should have won.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm

jaffka wrote:
PC1978 wrote:
I remember it because I was pi**ed and turned up an hour earlier than usual and had to wait outside for the turnstile to open!!! :oops:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:30 pm

PC1978 wrote:
jaffka wrote:
PC1978 wrote:
I remember it because I was pi**ed and turned up an hour earlier than usual and had to wait outside for the turnstile to open!!! :oops:
It was on a Sunday - 25th of Feb - so I don't think the clocks had anything to do with it - they're usually last Sunday in March. One of you musta been pi$$ed. :-)

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
PC1978 wrote:
jaffka wrote:
PC1978 wrote:
It was on a Sunday - 25th of Feb - so I don't think the clocks had anything to do with it - they're usually last Sunday in March. One of you musta been pi$$ed. :-)
That must've been why I was early changing my clocks a month in hand!!!! I was a teenager at the time and just discovered the joys of lager!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 pm

What time was the kick off? I am sure it was 5pm which was unusual for a sunday

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Coffeymagic, I'm fairly sure Felgate was on one leg in the home game against Aldershot....
[/quote]

I've just re-read my post and can see where the confusion is. What I meant was the first leg of the play-offs wasn't a barrel of laughs either and then to see Felgate hopping around like an..an..injured goalie for the last 20 minutes of the 2nd leg just put the tin lid on it.

Couple of things about that United match. We did have the upper hand for about 30 seconds when Curcic took a swipe and forced Smeichel into a great save but from then on it was pretty down hill.

I remember Pallister laughing in McGinlay's face when he squared up to him and was it Todd who Giggs lobbed the ball over before crashing on against the bar for Bruce (?) to nod in from 1 yard?

As I have said before I would Google it but I don't.

Bolton Wanderers will NEVER surprise you but they'll ALWAYS let you down.

Let's have a win tomorrow eh?
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:42 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
jaffka wrote:Southend away, we lost 5-2, worked out at a goal for every hundered mile.
Haha! i went to that one, season worked out ok in the end though. I was clinging to that yesterday at Peterborough at 5-2 down but then Afobe and petrov spoiled the nostalgia.
I was at that one as well. Stayed over on some campsite....went out round Southend, ended up in TOTS 2000.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
It was four. It was dreadful. It was the second weekend of our first experience in Division Four. As far as the club goes, it was the nadir.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_UYa_LnMyY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:01 pm

BL3 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
It was four. It was dreadful. It was the second weekend of our first experience in Division Four. As far as the club goes, it was the nadir.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_UYa_LnMyY
Yeah, the knobheads were out. Perhaps inspired by Scarborough's first Football League visitors Wolves having some blood-waste romping on the roof, until he fell through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egWbklcsfFw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I though Scarborough was the second weekend but we played them on Sat 29 Aug, the third weekend of the season and thus their and our third league game. We'd lost 3-1 at home the previous midweek to Wigan, who were then in a higher division than us for the only time in history – until this season. (Was it Bobby Campbell got a hat-trick for them that night? He was definitely with them then...)