Interesting stat in The Times

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Interesting stat in The Times

Post by Sponge » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Okay, so "interesting" might be pushing it, and this probably doesn't deserve a thread of it's own, but I found it intriguing nonetheless. On Boxing Day, The Times published a series of Premier League and Championship tables, extrapolating results so far over the remainder of the season and changing one statistical variable each time, for example "How would the table look if games lasted 80 minutes?". Mostly they didn't produce anything particularly surprising and had us finishing somewhere between 12th and 16th. But one did stand out: "no goalies"; i.e., "How would the table look if all shots on target counted as goals". This table had us finishing 2nd.

I've been trying to work out the significance of this (if any). Does it mean we have a lot of shots of target but they're all straight at the keeper? And what does it say about our own goalkeeping?

Any thoughts?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Interesting stat in The Times

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Think it means we have a lot of shots on target. We've had more than anyone else in the Division by some way.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/C ... 27,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're on 186.

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:25 pm

it means Chris Eagles has played a lot this season.
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:09 pm

Our strikers are not clinical enough and we let in too many weak goals.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:18 pm

I really wish we had kept hold of Klasnic this season and binned off someone else. He would have scored for fun in this league.

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:21 pm

It means that you have far to much time on your hands. :wink:
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:30 pm

And if my auntie a cock, she'd be my uncle :shock:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:24 pm

ChrisC wrote:I really wish we had kept hold of Klasnic this season and binned off someone else. He would have scored for fun in this league.
did he want to stay??

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:36 am

throwawayboltonian wrote:You can read into stats all you want, but as interesting as they are they are ultimately just ifs and buts. We are where we are because we aren't converting enough chances and keeping enough clean sheets. Personally though I'd say that this stat you're talking about suggests that we aren't placing enough shots into hard to reach areas of the goal, or we're taking our time and allowing defenders to get in the way.
Allardyce did. #moneyball. Most definitely not 'ifs and but'.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:17 am

thebish wrote:
ChrisC wrote:I really wish we had kept hold of Klasnic this season and binned off someone else. He would have scored for fun in this league.
did he want to stay??
I don't remember anything stating otherwise.. just that he was released along with 11 others at the time to cut costs and turned down Sheffield Wednesday to go back to Germany with Mainz 05.

Since returning to Germany he has made 2 appearances for Mainz 05.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:25 pm

ChrisC wrote:
thebish wrote:
did he want to stay??
I don't remember anything stating otherwise.. just that he was released along with 11 others at the time to cut costs and turned down Sheffield Wednesday to go back to Germany with Mainz 05.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/bolton-wan ... OLjl29FV6k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pfffft.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:05 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
thebish wrote:
did he want to stay??

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/bolton-wan ... OLjl29FV6k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A combination of expensive and Uncle Owen's prudish side I think.

He's only played twice for Maintz & went on a freebie on a one-year contract. Not sure he'd suit Freedman's 'putting in a shift'.

Interestingly Tuncay is now signed with Bursa in Turkey but has also only played twice.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
thebish wrote:
did he want to stay??

A combination of expensive and Uncle Owen's prudish side I think.

He's only played twice for Maintz & went on a freebie on a one-year contract. Not sure he'd suit Freedman's 'putting in a shift'.

Interestingly Tuncay is now signed with Bursa in Turkey but has also only played twice.

He would of suited Dougie's style
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Why? Does he like shit footballers who throw their dummies out?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:31 pm

boltonboris wrote:Why? Does he like shit footballers who throw their dummies out?

I rated him you don't

:conf:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:13 pm

boltonboris wrote:Why? Does he like shit footballers who throw their dummies out?
Whatever reputation Tuncay arrived with, when did he throw his toys out of the pram while at Bolton. He'd have had every right to, tbh, but he persevered and "put in a shift" in training and, whenever he managed to snatch a few minutes on the pitch.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Whatever reputation Tuncay arrived with, when did he throw his toys out of the pram while at Bolton. He'd have had every right to, tbh, but he persevered and "put in a shift" in training and, whenever he managed to snatch a few minutes on the pitch.

:pray:

Agreed

He was brilliant for stoke and there forum loved him and could't understand why he was dropped

He did't suit stoke's style of play and IMO he would suit dougie's style

I'd take him back tomorrow if given the chance

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:40 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
I'll give you that. Though I heard unfounded rumours on the contrary.

You won't convince me that he wasn't and isn't shit at football though.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:55 am

boltonboris wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
I'll give you that. Though I heard unfounded rumours on the contrary.

You won't convince me that he wasn't and isn't shit at football though.

:roll:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:06 am

Which is why I've conceded that point. As they were just rumour.

His shitness isn't a rumour though. I saw that with my own eyes enough times to pass judgement. Did you? Or are you going off reputation?