Palace Game

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Palace Game

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:06 am

It is my belief that DF is getting to grips with the malaise at a playing level in the club. It may be slower than the impatient want but clearly there were very significant issues when he arrived which are being tackled.

I am happy that for the first time in how long? we have kept two consecutive clean sheets. I am happy that we matched Palace in the game and nullified the free scoring Murray and appear to have kept Zaha quiet-ish.

So, for me, two items ticked off on the DF list of things to do; tighten defence and become competitive in the division we find ourselves. It seems to follow a pattern with DF where one thing at a time is concentrated on. Next, probably, will be more work on improving midfield interaction with strikers thus finally turning us into a team again rather than the hit/miss collection of individuals Bolton Wanderers have been for the last 3 years.

Oh, anyone suggesting that two should be played up front in away matches against tough opposition clearly is not a serious supporter.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:25 am

One of the better 0-0s I've seen and a good day out. It's been a long time since I had to imagine what was going on behind the pillar obscuring my view.

I thought it was a good result and a good game, with both sides controlling long periods. It was a game that actually had some structure, some patterns of play. Palace had chances but I don't think it's fair to say we rode our luck. Palace's prowess was down to the brilliance of one man. If only Dazza hadn't missed a sitter we might have snatched it.

In contrast to anything under Coyle our defence was strong, disciplined and generally in position. I think many on here will once again have to eat humble pie over Ream, who has played well for about 5 games in a row now, but they won't. When he joined us in the Prem he looked like a decent footballer to me, but his head had clearly gone by the time the Coyle regime was finally toppled. The same could be said for Tyrone Mears who has also been playing well. Shame on the people that booed and abused him.

We mixed things up quite well but played a fair bit of long ball. That was clearly the reason why KD was in the side. He was largely ineffective (see what I did there?) but at least it was obviously part of a plan. What disappointed me was the subs. Sordell had to be the first striker to come off the bench and he turned out to be 4th in the pecking order. That is inexplicable to me, unless he did have a tight hamstring or whatever.

Look, I think we're turning this around. It's just the pace of change is painfully slow and the blame for that lies at the door of Owen Coyle. Our players looked sharp and hungry against a tidy side yesterday. We've kept two clean sheets in games where we would've shipped a boat load during the Coyle era. Freedman is probably playing fitness instructor, psychiatrist and football coach to these players and has a difficult job on his hands.

He deserves patience from the fans. One of the biggest mistakes you can make in any game is to be 'results orientated'. That is, you judge your success and alter your tactics/strategy based solely on results. Any high-level practitioner of a game where luck or chaos is involved (like football) knows that's a recipe for failure. Instead, you manage your approach based on performances, then let the results follow. Big Sam understood this well and it's why he used the word "scenario" so often.

My point is I don't care if we've got fewer PPG under Freedman than we did under Coyle. For a start, strength of opposition has probably been a factor. But more importantly there are signs of life in the side. We almost resemble a professional outfit again. Players were appearing where you would expect them to. No gaping holes between midfield and defence were exposed time and again. Given time results will come.

If you thought "things would be reet" under Coyle at Christmas the year we went down, you need to reserve your judgement about Freedman. If you thought Coyle was the man to "rebuild" pre-season, when I said he was a one-man wrecking ball, again you need to reserve your judgement about Freedman.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:52 am

50sQuiff wrote: In contrast to anything under Coyle our defence was strong, disciplined and generally in position. I think many on here will once again have to eat humble pie over Ream, who has played well for about 5 games in a row now, but they won't. When he joined us in the Prem he looked like a decent footballer to me, but his head had clearly gone by the time the Coyle regime was finally toppled. The same could be said for Tyrone Mears who has also been playing well. Shame on the people that booed and abused him.

Seriously? Morons. [Cue: "I pay my money; it's my right to abuse people if I want to."]

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:01 am

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:Get in, this is a quiet train but a handful of happy wanderers getting on! 1 hour delay though, luckily there's a buffet carriage :D
Out of interest, Chief, how much was it ont' train?
38 quid which includes all underground and southern rail travel. Gartside was on my train but only noticed when I saw him getting off at Euston.
Student/young persons rail card?
No it's called a 'Saturday Saver' that Virgin Trains do, full adult price bought off the train line website.

Had an hour delay there and 30 mins delay coming back but so much better on the train than coach.

As for the match, despite it being a 0-0 it was an entertaining game. Both teams missed sitters, can't believe there were no goals. Then again I'd predicted a 0-0 as Kevin Davies up front on his own is just asking for 0 goals for Bolton. He was pissing useless and has done absolutely nothing to warrant having a spot in the team over our other forwards.

Mears pisses me off. I'm sure he plays football just to piss Bolton fans off. Back to the goalkeeper every time with his passing.

Finally, there was a lad near me with 'Blakeman' on his shirt.... Was it you Dan?

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:03 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
89bwfc89 wrote:I haven't really read this thread so apologies for the random input but I'd just like to add that I met Dan today. He IS who he says he is!
I too found him in the seat number he said (conveniently next to the stairs) with the famous 3rd kit with the name on.

He is absolutely who he says he is and is a nice lad, as it goes.
Just seen this, brilliant! Wish I had said something now!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:18 am

Gail Platz wrote: Mears pisses me off. I'm sure he plays football just to piss Bolton fans off. Back to the goalkeeper every time with his passing.
"We seem to have a difference of opinion here, Geoffrey."

http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/1 ... -wanderers

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:38 am

Tim Ream was man of the match without a doubt. Solid performance.

Chris Eagles has been crap for months although I do agree Spearing had his worst game in a Bolton shirt.

I want Mears to be good, but he isn't and you could hear the frustration of others on the terrace over him.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:55 am

Really good day out and the first 0-0 I've been to.

Thought Alonso, Ream and Chungy had great games. The former being MOM, for me.

Agree that Spearing was awful. Seemed to misplace every single pass.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:01 pm

I thought Mears played well, but the outball back to the keeper is a bit too common from a few of ours. Alonso was solid too, so it's promising that we have some form and stability in the fullbacks.

I didn't see a MOM performance from Ream, myself. I thought he wasn't much tested but still managed to do things like mistime headers and jump under the ball and just generally be lightweight in a way that doesn't really cut it at centre half.

I thought Pratley played very well. A five man midfield suits him because it means he isn't often under pressure on the ball, which he doesn't have the first touch, poise and passing ability for. But yesterday he got around well, broke up the play, and made some good runs beyond the play. I think it's hard on him to say he missed a sitter - he did well to make that run and anticipate the flight of the ball, and was unlucky not to make a better connection.

Good to see CYL coming back little by little. I always think it's a good sign after an injury when a player gets an appetite for the tackle back, and he has that.

I know this isn't going to be popular, but I met up with a mate of mine afterwards who is a Palace season ticket holder, and he said that Davies was the best striker he'd seen at Selhurst Park this season when it comes to holding the ball up, winning headers etc, and that it was a shame we didn't capitalise more on his knockdowns. I also heard another Palace fan on the way out commenting on what a handful he is. I thought was fine and nothing special, but it's interesting to hear what others think.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:17 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:I haven't really read this thread so apologies for the random input but I'd just like to add that I met Dan today. He IS who he says he is!
I too found him in the seat number he said (conveniently next to the stairs) with the famous 3rd kit with the name on.

He is absolutely who he says he is and is a nice lad, as it goes.
someone else also spoke to me asking me if I was tge lad from Reading but refused to tell me where he was from, thanks for chatting with me the 3 of you.

I thought we should of won that game and maybe had we started with 2 up front we would have done none the less a good result for the whites,have just noticed worryingly that Burnley are 7th in the table, a real fear that they could go up has emerged.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:19 pm

50sQuiff wrote:One of the better 0-0s I've seen and a good day out. It's been a long time since I had to imagine what was going on behind the pillar obscuring my view.

I thought it was a good result and a good game, with both sides controlling long periods. It was a game that actually had some structure, some patterns of play. Palace had chances but I don't think it's fair to say we rode our luck. Palace's prowess was down to the brilliance of one man. If only Dazza hadn't missed a sitter we might have snatched it.

In contrast to anything under Coyle our defence was strong, disciplined and generally in position. I think many on here will once again have to eat humble pie over Ream, who has played well for about 5 games in a row now, but they won't. When he joined us in the Prem he looked like a decent footballer to me, but his head had clearly gone by the time the Coyle regime was finally toppled. The same could be said for Tyrone Mears who has also been playing well. Shame on the people that booed and abused him.

We mixed things up quite well but played a fair bit of long ball. That was clearly the reason why KD was in the side. He was largely ineffective (see what I did there?) but at least it was obviously part of a plan. What disappointed me was the subs. Sordell had to be the first striker to come off the bench and he turned out to be 4th in the pecking order. That is inexplicable to me, unless he did have a tight hamstring or whatever.

Look, I think we're turning this around. It's just the pace of change is painfully slow and the blame for that lies at the door of Owen Coyle. Our players looked sharp and hungry against a tidy side yesterday. We've kept two clean sheets in games where we would've shipped a boat load during the Coyle era. Freedman is probably playing fitness instructor, psychiatrist and football coach to these players and has a difficult job on his hands.

He deserves patience from the fans. One of the biggest mistakes you can make in any game is to be 'results orientated'. That is, you judge your success and alter your tactics/strategy based solely on results. Any high-level practitioner of a game where luck or chaos is involved (like football) knows that's a recipe for failure. Instead, you manage your approach based on performances, then let the results follow. Big Sam understood this well and it's why he used the word "scenario" so often.

My point is I don't care if we've got fewer PPG under Freedman than we did under Coyle. For a start, strength of opposition has probably been a factor. But more importantly there are signs of life in the side. We almost resemble a professional outfit again. Players were appearing where you would expect them to. No gaping holes between midfield and defence were exposed time and again. Given time results will come.

If you thought "things would be reet" under Coyle at Christmas the year we went down, you need to reserve your judgement about Freedman. If you thought Coyle was the man to "rebuild" pre-season, when I said he was a one-man wrecking ball, again you need to reserve your judgement about Freedman.
Agree entirely. Great post
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
with the famous 3rd kit with the name on.
Did you know that it was him by dint of him managing to spell that incorrectly as well? :conf:
explain please
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Bedwetter and PT both supporting the manager?

Crazy crazy times!

:mrgreen:

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

I was stood two rows behind him when you introduced yourself. :D
the bloke the row behind me (the row in front of you) was so f**king lould my ears had nearly gone by full time
Last edited by bwfcdan94 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:24 pm

thebish wrote:Image
:lmfao:

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:41 pm

jaffka wrote:what exactly are you constantly moaning about?

Coyle has gone, Freedman is here? get with it
You'd better tell those that are 'constantly moaning' about a manager who left in OCTOBER then.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:54 pm

BL3 wrote:
jaffka wrote:what exactly are you constantly moaning about?

Coyle has gone, Freedman is here? get with it
You'd better tell those that are 'constantly moaning' about a manager who left in OCTOBER then.
I am asking you

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:58 pm

50sQuiff wrote:In contrast to anything under Coyle our defence was strong, disciplined and generally in position.
Didn't we ship 5 at Peterborough?

50sQuiff wrote:I think many on here will once again have to eat humble pie over Ream, who has played well for about 5 games in a row now, but they won't. When he joined us in the Prem he looked like a decent footballer to me, but his head had clearly gone by the time the Coyle regime was finally toppled.
Nothing to do with being played out of position as a defensive midfielder in that shambles of a team at Brighton then?

50sQuiff wrote:Look, I think we're turning this around. It's just the pace of change is painfully slow and the blame for that lies at the door of Owen Coyle. We've kept two clean sheets in games where we would've shipped a boat load during the Coyle era.

So what does Freedman do on the training ground then? Or is 15 games not enough to address these defensive problems? Sean Dyche took over at Burnley 15 games ago, they now have the best defensive record in the Championship...

50sQuiff wrote:One of the biggest mistakes you can make in any game is to be 'results orientated'. That is, you judge your success and alter your tactics/strategy based solely on results.

Dougie will be relieved about that then.

50sQuiff wrote:My point is I don't care if we've got fewer PPG under Freedman than we did under Coyle. For a start, strength of opposition has probably been a factor.
We've played five of the bottom seven teams under Freedman and taken two whole points off them...

50sQuiff wrote:If you thought "things would be reet" under Coyle at Christmas the year we went down, you need to reserve your judgement about Freedman.
We've taken 5 points from the last six games. That's relegation form.

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:02 pm

Enjoyed the game. SKD getting a few digs on here, but I thought he gave an exemplary "one up top" performance - just a shame that when he won headers /brought the ball under control, there weren't too many options for him. But that was Dougie's plan, it seems - keep it tight at the back, win the battle in midfield, and hope to grab one on the break - which we very nearly did with the Pratley header in the first half, and two Eagles efforts (one in the first minute that was close, and the curled effort that he should have found the target with in the second half).

Anyway - the defence looked solid, and didn't concede. Don't underestimate how big a deal that is, away from home at a top four team, after achieving the same thing away at a Premier League team. Small steps maybe, but steps in the right direction. All that's missing is a goal - and we should be slightly concerned that we haven't scored from open play in more than 280 minutes of championship football. That's poor! And might leave Sordell, Ngog, Afobe a little peeved at not playing.

But in short, yesterday was an encouraging, disciplined, organised performance, and the away crowd I felt did their bit too, singing and encouraging on the whole. A good day.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Found out last night that we are the first team to stop Palace scoring at home in 9 months.