Dougie's pre-match routine

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Dougie's pre-match routine

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 am

I am friends with a poster many will remember on here as 'perfan' on Facebook, and she has just posted the following on FB (I asked her permission to reproduce here):

She might now be called 'ChrisEaglesFan' and has been bought a treat package for her birthday.

The first paragraph is mildly interesting to me, and apparently on the phone yesterday it is now 1pm onwards Dougie wants a blackout from.

Seems sensible to me. I wonder what was going on under the previous regime?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: Dougie's pre-match routine

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 am

And yes, I can make that picture bigger if anyone would like that. :wink:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks for posting that. It is interesting. I don't think we need imagine much, what was happening previously.......

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:23 am

8) Please Mr Mummy, could you possibly make that picture a bit bigger? Ta. :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I don't think we need imagine much, what was happening previously.......
Why leave it to the imagination when you could just formulate another of your conspiracy theories?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:48 am

Never mind this bollocks - just tell me Milo and Buster are animals
Sto ut Serviam

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am

BL3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I don't think we need imagine much, what was happening previously.......
Why leave it to the imagination when you could just formulate another of your conspiracy theories?
Well we know as a matter of certainty that blocking out 90 minutes (and now 2 hours) ahead of kickoff is a change on the previous regime.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Well we know as a matter of certainty that blocking out 90 minutes (and now 2 hours) ahead of kickoff is a change on the previous regime.
But what we don't know is what, if any difference it makes.

None, I'd wager.

But I like the tone of other people who are almost saying "he's obviously better, because he doesn't let the players see anybody after 1pm"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:39 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BL3 wrote:

None, I'd wager.

But I like the tone of other people who are almost saying "he's obviously better, because he doesn't let the players see anybody after 1pm"
He's better IMO, because he comes across as professional and things like this show that as a club we have what seems like a more professional approach to managing first team activities.

Whether that makes a significant difference to results, performances or whatever, may not be measurable.

But I prefer the professional Mourinho/Allardyce approach to a Keeganesque relaxed regime. Thats my opinion. I prefer preparation and study and concentration, I think it will yield on average in the same circumstances better results.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 pm

One of the most successful sports coaches of current times is Dave Brailsford, he believes the little things make the difference and I'm not about to argue with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBY3q8TqoXY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BL3 wrote:

None, I'd wager.

He's better IMO, because he comes across as professional and things like this show that as a club we have what seems like a more professional approach to managing first team activities.

Whether that makes a significant difference to results, performances or whatever, may not be measurable.

But I prefer the professional Mourinho/Allardyce approach to a Keeganesque relaxed regime. Thats my opinion. I prefer preparation and study and concentration, I think it will yield on average in the same circumstances better results.
Aye, he certainly talks a good game.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Will it not ruin the surprise, being posted on here?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BL3 wrote:

None, I'd wager.

I've just said it sounds sensible. Do you disagree?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 pm

We played ping pong till 230 under coyle.

I tell you what though; maybe its cos i was hungover and actually went to my seat waaay before kick off..But pre burnley that shambles spent 230-250 doing kick ups and arseing about. Afobe was on his own playing keepy uppy! Twas an eye opener into Coyle that.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BL3 wrote:

None, I'd wager.

I've just said it sounds sensible. Do you disagree?
It wasn't really aimed at you. Just the people who use such trivial examples to try and prove that somehow this makes the manager great.

To be honest, players are all different. Some want to shut away, some want to mooch about and take the day in and pass the time. Putting in regimented processes into a bunch of adults (who can think for themselves believe it or not, who should also be professional enough to prepare as they see fit) smacks of paranoia and inexperience.

For me, let the players themselves decide how they pass the time in the hour or so before kick off. The prep work should already have been done.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 pm

There is a happy medium though. Some need different things, I don't think pissing about at kids parties is the right thing for any of them though. THey should at least be directing their thoughts towards the game by then, even if they aren't all doing exactly the same thing.

It's hardly likely to be the difference between us being shit and suddenly becoming great though, granted.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Its an interesting, and quite well worn point that Boris is making though. Someone (and the name Ruud Gullit seems to jump to mind here) wrote years ago that he and fellow foreigners (in that initial Premier League influx) were astounded by the childishness of British football. The laddish culture that was in part begotten by, and reinforced by, being treated like naughty little schoolboys all the time. The culture seemed to fuel itself.

They are professionals. They need guidance (coaching), but I think a great deal of energy is being expended for little benefit in suggesting this could make a significant difference to our matchday performance.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 pm

Here's a question. Do you think the players should be at the ground (for home games) at about 12:30 for a pre-match meal?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 pm

I don't know enough to answer that. Is there a physiological advantage to say having massage and a slow warm up, the correct food taken at the correct time before a game? I think there's more to it than how many keepy uppies you do in sight of the public.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 pm

I wouldn't say 'should', I don't think it would be unreasonable for a manager to expect them to though. The way I've always thought best to manage that kind of thing is give the players a couple of options you'd be happy with and let them pick which one.

a)ground at 12 (I seem to remember reading somewhere 3 hours is the best time to eat before a game); or,

b)eat at home, ground later, but you'll be told what to eat (as in the sorts of foods, rather than specific meals).

Vote on it, but everyone does the same thing. Some groups would prefer the camaraderie of eating together, some the independence.

We're talking pissing about 90 mins before kick-off here though!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.